Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I've heard that English Shepherds aren't great dog park dogs, they tend to be bossy, if that's what you're looking for. Hudson is great with other dogs currently, but can get a bit annoyed when other dogs are too loud.
I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing.
__________________

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Zhucca's Avatar
Zhucca Zhucca is offline
Lab Love
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 1,164
Default

I feel biased but would you be interested in a lab? I'd say they fit all your requirements. Some labs shed more than others. Duke sheds moderately, and my other lab sheds barely at all.

Labrador Retrievers are often over looked by people in the dog fancy because of how common they are, which is a shame. There's also a ton of bad breeders too but that's the same for german shepherds as well. If you find a good breeders, labs would be a great choice.
__________________

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
LostAndConfused's Avatar
LostAndConfused LostAndConfused is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 3,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing.
I have minimal experience since Hudson is really the only ES I've been around extensively, but he certainly did not approve of all the barking going on when we were visiting my sister's dog.
__________________
allons-y!



Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012


Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012


Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
I feel biased but would you be interested in a lab? I'd say they fit all your requirements. Some labs shed more than others. Duke sheds moderately, and my other lab sheds barely at all.

Labrador Retrievers are often over looked by people in the dog fancy because of how common they are, which is a shame. There's also a ton of bad breeders too but that's the same for german shepherds as well. If you find a good breeders, labs would be a great choice.
Parents say no Labs. They don't really have a real reason other than my father finds them 'unattractive and fat' (which I definitely disagree with, and the overweight part is easily prevented.) But then again, my parents think all Pitties are viscous creatures, so no convincing them there...
__________________

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Zhucca's Avatar
Zhucca Zhucca is offline
Lab Love
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
Parents say no Labs. They don't really have a real reason other than my father finds them 'unattractive and fat' (which I definitely disagree with, and the overweight part is easily prevented.) But then again, my parents think all Pitties are viscous creatures, so no convincing them there...

Haha, well, some labs are... unattractive and fat. Just gotta find a breeder with a type. But, labs and pointers were my only suggestions. lol
__________________

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
Haha, well, some labs are... unattractive and fat. Just gotta find a breeder with a type. But, labs and pointers were my only suggestions. lol
I would have totally looked into field bred labs if my parents weren't so stereotypical of certain dog breeds, lol.
__________________

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,565
Default

In my experience smooth collies shed more than rough collies, and german shepherds shed WAY more than rough collies (if the rough collies are brushed regularly).
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Sit Stay's Avatar
Sit Stay Sit Stay is offline
Not a Border Collie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing.
Refereeing is a great term for it, lol. Some ES are more dog tolerant and DP suited than others, but if you're banking on having a DP dog and the DP being a large source of daily stimulation, an ES puppy would not be my first suggestion. They do seem to fit your list quite well though!

Eta: dog events should be no problem assuming your dog is stable and socialized! Its really just the off leash chaos of a lot of dog parks that can drive an ES nuts. Quinn is wonderful at big events, does not mind a crowd, and loves meeting people. Due to my own mistakes she is DR, but to the point now where she will only react if a dog comes at her face. I just keep an eye out for anyone approaching with a mismannered dog and warn them. We haven't had a snark incident in ages.
__________________

Quinn - English Shepherd

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Refereeing is a great term for it, lol. Some ES are more dog tolerant and DP suited than others, but if you're banking on having a DP dog and the DP being a large source of daily stimulation, an ES puppy would not be my first suggestion. They do seem to fit your list quite well though!

Eta: dog events should be no problem assuming your dog is stable and socialized! Its really just the off leash chaos of a lot of dog parks that can drive an ES nuts. Quinn is wonderful at big events, does not mind a crowd, and loves meeting people. Due to my own mistakes she is DR, but to the point now where she will only react if a dog comes at her face. I just keep an eye out for anyone approaching with a mismannered dog and warn them. We haven't had a snark incident in ages.
Here we call it the fun police

That's my only contribution.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Sit Stay's Avatar
Sit Stay Sit Stay is offline
Not a Border Collie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,800
Default

Fun police is my favorite term, too!
__________________

Quinn - English Shepherd

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site