Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I've heard that English Shepherds aren't great dog park dogs, they tend to be bossy, if that's what you're looking for. Hudson is great with other dogs currently, but can get a bit annoyed when other dogs are too loud.
I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing.

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Lab Love

I feel biased but would you be interested in a lab? I'd say they fit all your requirements. Some labs shed more than others. Duke sheds moderately, and my other lab sheds barely at all.

Labrador Retrievers are often over looked by people in the dog fancy because of how common they are, which is a shame. There's also a ton of bad breeders too but that's the same for german shepherds as well. If you find a good breeders, labs would be a great choice.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing.
I have minimal experience since Hudson is really the only ES I've been around extensively, but he certainly did not approve of all the barking going on when we were visiting my sister's dog.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
I feel biased but would you be interested in a lab? I'd say they fit all your requirements. Some labs shed more than others. Duke sheds moderately, and my other lab sheds barely at all.

Labrador Retrievers are often over looked by people in the dog fancy because of how common they are, which is a shame. There's also a ton of bad breeders too but that's the same for german shepherds as well. If you find a good breeders, labs would be a great choice.
Parents say no Labs. They don't really have a real reason other than my father finds them 'unattractive and fat' (which I definitely disagree with, and the overweight part is easily prevented.) But then again, my parents think all Pitties are viscous creatures, so no convincing them there...

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Parents say no Labs. They don't really have a real reason other than my father finds them 'unattractive and fat' (which I definitely disagree with, and the overweight part is easily prevented.) But then again, my parents think all Pitties are viscous creatures, so no convincing them there...

Haha, well, some labs are... unattractive and fat. Just gotta find a breeder with a type. But, labs and pointers were my only suggestions. lol

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
Haha, well, some labs are... unattractive and fat. Just gotta find a breeder with a type. But, labs and pointers were my only suggestions. lol
I would have totally looked into field bred labs if my parents weren't so stereotypical of certain dog breeds, lol.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

In my experience smooth collies shed more than rough collies, and german shepherds shed WAY more than rough collies (if the rough collies are brushed regularly).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Refereeing is a great term for it, lol. Some ES are more dog tolerant and DP suited than others, but if you're banking on having a DP dog and the DP being a large source of daily stimulation, an ES puppy would not be my first suggestion. They do seem to fit your list quite well though!

Eta: dog events should be no problem assuming your dog is stable and socialized! Its really just the off leash chaos of a lot of dog parks that can drive an ES nuts. Quinn is wonderful at big events, does not mind a crowd, and loves meeting people. Due to my own mistakes she is DR, but to the point now where she will only react if a dog comes at her face. I just keep an eye out for anyone approaching with a mismannered dog and warn them. We haven't had a snark incident in ages.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Refereeing is a great term for it, lol. Some ES are more dog tolerant and DP suited than others, but if you're banking on having a DP dog and the DP being a large source of daily stimulation, an ES puppy would not be my first suggestion. They do seem to fit your list quite well though!

Eta: dog events should be no problem assuming your dog is stable and socialized! Its really just the off leash chaos of a lot of dog parks that can drive an ES nuts. Quinn is wonderful at big events, does not mind a crowd, and loves meeting people. Due to my own mistakes she is DR, but to the point now where she will only react if a dog comes at her face. I just keep an eye out for anyone approaching with a mismannered dog and warn them. We haven't had a snark incident in ages.
Here we call it the fun police

That's my only contribution.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Not a Border Collie

Fun police is my favorite term, too!

Quinn - English Shepherd