Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Default The ideal dog law....

If you could write a law or laws to prevent puppy mills and byb's as much as possible, what would it be? What would work?

This came up as there is a bill going through and the dog show people (in Canada) are more or less against it. I like parts of it (it is for BC so doesn't affect me) but get why it's a concern. I suggested that the group come up with better ideas to suggest and some flipped out saying 'nothing' will work.

I get that there is no perfect law that will work, but I do think there are some things that would work....

Making it illegal to broker dogs and cats - you breed them, you sell them one at a time (well ok two at a time maybe but you get the idea - no breeding and selling to a pet store to sell for you).

Make the law that the animals are not confined to the same space 24 hours a day - you have to take them out for at least an hour of socializing and exercise (which would be a pain for puppy mills or many byb's).

Make it law that no dog/cat is tethered without direct supervision - no dogs living out of barrels on a ten foot chain (even the northern breeds).

you must live at the same location as the animals in your care - no having them out somewhere and popping in every few days or even just once a day to see them....

Any other ideas? yes, you can argue that no laws will work but there must be better ones out there....