Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
JessLough JessLough is online now
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My question that I've never asked is... how do you plan to establish a breeding program?

The pairing of Zing or Didgie and Zip is going to produce at least a puppy for each, right? And this is a long-lived breed... where will ALL THE DOGS GO?!

But, more seriously... how many are usually in a litter and do you plan on keeping bitches on co-owns with people so you keep your actual numbers down or...? And what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US?

I'm not interrogating, or at least meaning to... just these are questions that have been running through my mind since the start of this Koolie importing stuffs.
I guess I've been thinking this, but more of... won't all your breeding dogs be... related? LOL



As far as where all the dogs will go. That's easy. They'll all come to me.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I am the opposite. I have never liked merle but after settling almost certainly on a breed that is heavily merle for Nextdog, I am liking it more and more. My favorite colors are still masked tricolors and then bicolors but I find myself liking the merles a lot better lately. I think it's a case of loving something for the whole package first and then the more you love it, the more you think it's aesthetically pleasing.
My money's on Aussie!


I hope I win
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My question that I've never asked is... how do you plan to establish a breeding program?

The pairing of Zing or Didgie and Zip is going to produce at least a puppy for each, right? And this is a long-lived breed... where will ALL THE DOGS GO?!

But, more seriously... how many are usually in a litter and do you plan on keeping bitches on co-owns with people so you keep your actual numbers down or...? And what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US?

I'm not interrogating, or at least meaning to... just these are questions that have been running through my mind since the start of this Koolie importing stuffs.
It seems to range litter size wise, seems like any from 4-8 seems common. Sara and I have discussed this a couple times and I think were we ended up was hoping to co-own with people along with non-breeding (but negotiable) contracts for the others. I don't have a desire at this time to own a large number of dogs and neither does Sara. Nor do we in any way intend to be pumping out more puppies than we know what to do with. Interest in the breed is ever growing and so is the desire for proven health tested dogs. Between that and the different locations Sara and I are in, along with a rather heavy online presence I don't worry about not being able to place. And if that happens, well I'll have an extra dog living with me than I planned on and wouldn't be breeding again until there was a larger desire.

I'm not sure exactly though what you mean about "what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US", could you explain that a bit more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I guess I've been thinking this, but more of... won't all your breeding dogs be... related? LOL
Yep, Didgie, Traveler and Zinga all come from a rather heavily line bred line along with Didgie and Zinga being sisters. Which is one of the reasons we were tickled with the Shiva/Skandal cross because it outcrosses to a completely different but well liked line. Along with that Traveler (if I ever do breed him) is, while not from an outcross directly, from the product of an outcross.

In addition, since this isn't a little or quick undertaking, I'm hoping either we end up importing another dog from different lines, someone brings in a dog from different lines with breeding intentions and so on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Kilter Kilter is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 536
Default

For obedience, there is rally-o which is a bit more 'fun', and even if you don't like it, it would be a good venue to showcase the breed - same as conformation, agility, etc... the more events you can get the breed into, the more people will know about them and the better homes you'll get in the long run. Just saying! Herding of course too for that matter.

And yes, if you have limited breeding dogs you will breed into a corner eventually, so you'd have to decide if you want to have tight lines or excuse the lack of clearances on stud dogs from down under. But that happens in almost any breed, as breeders tend to keep girls and breed to nearby stud dogs, or the one that's winning who happens to be the son of another dog that's winning and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
My money's on Aussie!


I hope I win
You will have to wait a while to find out. Looking at a 2014 pup at the earliest.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old papillon)
Summer TG3 TBAD - (10 year old papillon)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
For obedience, there is rally-o which is a bit more 'fun', and even if you don't like it, it would be a good venue to showcase the breed - same as conformation, agility, etc... the more events you can get the breed into, the more people will know about them and the better homes you'll get in the long run. Just saying! Herding of course too for that matter.
I don't think you saw it but I did say I do like Rally! I find it more fun and Traveler has his RL1 in APDT rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
And yes, if you have limited breeding dogs you will breed into a corner eventually, so you'd have to decide if you want to have tight lines or excuse the lack of clearances on stud dogs from down under. But that happens in almost any breed, as breeders tend to keep girls and breed to nearby stud dogs, or the one that's winning who happens to be the son of another dog that's winning and so on.
I think it's going to be an ever evolving issue and one I hope we handle in the best way possible. But, I do think as times change, newer, younger breeders start up, sport becomes more popular and we meet/get to know even more people the amount of dogs getting health tested and cleared will start to rise. Which bodes well for us!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
thehoundgirl's Avatar
thehoundgirl thehoundgirl is offline
APBT crazy!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beautiful Northwest
Posts: 2,112
Default

The whole litter is just so cute! You're going to have lots of fun with Zip Tie! I love the one your friend might be getting.. but I really love them all. Such cute and good looking puppies!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I fully admit I find this all fascinating, and if I weren't already so close to full up and didn't love my shelties so much, my interest in koolies is totally piqued and I would be doing some serious research of my own... but Payton is already my PITA dog so I do NOT need another one LOL.
until I breed him and get a Payton baby anyway, most likely.
By the way, I'm picturing the chaos, destruction and all around hysterics that would happen with Payton and a Koolie working together. It's amazing and terrifying.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,511
Default

I really do appreciate the openness you guys - I know it's hard to have so many questions chucked at you, but it's so nice to get the whole picture, too.
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I really do appreciate the openness you guys - I know it's hard to have so many questions chucked at you, but it's so nice to get the whole picture, too.
I'm just sorry no one felt like they could ask them! I really really try to be as candid as possible about things and I don't want anyone to feel like they are over stepping boundaries by asking either on here, privately or whatever.

And with that I'm off to work! Tagging Sara in!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site