Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My question that I've never asked is... how do you plan to establish a breeding program?

The pairing of Zing or Didgie and Zip is going to produce at least a puppy for each, right? And this is a long-lived breed... where will ALL THE DOGS GO?!

But, more seriously... how many are usually in a litter and do you plan on keeping bitches on co-owns with people so you keep your actual numbers down or...? And what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US?

I'm not interrogating, or at least meaning to... just these are questions that have been running through my mind since the start of this Koolie importing stuffs.
I guess I've been thinking this, but more of... won't all your breeding dogs be... related? LOL

As far as where all the dogs will go. That's easy. They'll all come to me.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I am the opposite. I have never liked merle but after settling almost certainly on a breed that is heavily merle for Nextdog, I am liking it more and more. My favorite colors are still masked tricolors and then bicolors but I find myself liking the merles a lot better lately. I think it's a case of loving something for the whole package first and then the more you love it, the more you think it's aesthetically pleasing.
My money's on Aussie!

I hope I win
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My question that I've never asked is... how do you plan to establish a breeding program?

The pairing of Zing or Didgie and Zip is going to produce at least a puppy for each, right? And this is a long-lived breed... where will ALL THE DOGS GO?!

But, more seriously... how many are usually in a litter and do you plan on keeping bitches on co-owns with people so you keep your actual numbers down or...? And what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US?

I'm not interrogating, or at least meaning to... just these are questions that have been running through my mind since the start of this Koolie importing stuffs.
It seems to range litter size wise, seems like any from 4-8 seems common. Sara and I have discussed this a couple times and I think were we ended up was hoping to co-own with people along with non-breeding (but negotiable) contracts for the others. I don't have a desire at this time to own a large number of dogs and neither does Sara. Nor do we in any way intend to be pumping out more puppies than we know what to do with. Interest in the breed is ever growing and so is the desire for proven health tested dogs. Between that and the different locations Sara and I are in, along with a rather heavy online presence I don't worry about not being able to place. And if that happens, well I'll have an extra dog living with me than I planned on and wouldn't be breeding again until there was a larger desire.

I'm not sure exactly though what you mean about "what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US", could you explain that a bit more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I guess I've been thinking this, but more of... won't all your breeding dogs be... related? LOL
Yep, Didgie, Traveler and Zinga all come from a rather heavily line bred line along with Didgie and Zinga being sisters. Which is one of the reasons we were tickled with the Shiva/Skandal cross because it outcrosses to a completely different but well liked line. Along with that Traveler (if I ever do breed him) is, while not from an outcross directly, from the product of an outcross.

In addition, since this isn't a little or quick undertaking, I'm hoping either we end up importing another dog from different lines, someone brings in a dog from different lines with breeding intentions and so on.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

For obedience, there is rally-o which is a bit more 'fun', and even if you don't like it, it would be a good venue to showcase the breed - same as conformation, agility, etc... the more events you can get the breed into, the more people will know about them and the better homes you'll get in the long run. Just saying! Herding of course too for that matter.

And yes, if you have limited breeding dogs you will breed into a corner eventually, so you'd have to decide if you want to have tight lines or excuse the lack of clearances on stud dogs from down under. But that happens in almost any breed, as breeders tend to keep girls and breed to nearby stud dogs, or the one that's winning who happens to be the son of another dog that's winning and so on.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
My money's on Aussie!

I hope I win
You will have to wait a while to find out. Looking at a 2014 pup at the earliest.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
For obedience, there is rally-o which is a bit more 'fun', and even if you don't like it, it would be a good venue to showcase the breed - same as conformation, agility, etc... the more events you can get the breed into, the more people will know about them and the better homes you'll get in the long run. Just saying! Herding of course too for that matter.
I don't think you saw it but I did say I do like Rally! I find it more fun and Traveler has his RL1 in APDT rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
And yes, if you have limited breeding dogs you will breed into a corner eventually, so you'd have to decide if you want to have tight lines or excuse the lack of clearances on stud dogs from down under. But that happens in almost any breed, as breeders tend to keep girls and breed to nearby stud dogs, or the one that's winning who happens to be the son of another dog that's winning and so on.
I think it's going to be an ever evolving issue and one I hope we handle in the best way possible. But, I do think as times change, newer, younger breeders start up, sport becomes more popular and we meet/get to know even more people the amount of dogs getting health tested and cleared will start to rise. Which bodes well for us!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
APBT crazy!

The whole litter is just so cute! You're going to have lots of fun with Zip Tie! I love the one your friend might be getting.. but I really love them all. Such cute and good looking puppies!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I fully admit I find this all fascinating, and if I weren't already so close to full up and didn't love my shelties so much, my interest in koolies is totally piqued and I would be doing some serious research of my own... but Payton is already my PITA dog so I do NOT need another one LOL.
until I breed him and get a Payton baby anyway, most likely.
By the way, I'm picturing the chaos, destruction and all around hysterics that would happen with Payton and a Koolie working together. It's amazing and terrifying.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Behavior Nerd

I really do appreciate the openness you guys - I know it's hard to have so many questions chucked at you, but it's so nice to get the whole picture, too.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I really do appreciate the openness you guys - I know it's hard to have so many questions chucked at you, but it's so nice to get the whole picture, too.
I'm just sorry no one felt like they could ask them! I really really try to be as candid as possible about things and I don't want anyone to feel like they are over stepping boundaries by asking either on here, privately or whatever.

And with that I'm off to work! Tagging Sara in!