Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
The other thing to keep in mind (besides cute puppy!!!!) with breeding is that frozen and fresh extended from boys you like, wherever they are, is always an option and getting better all the time with success rates. Yesterday I helped deliver a litter of nine pups, the sire has been dead for quite a few years, and he was collected at ten. The vet said the best is a live breeding, but the other options are almost as good depending on everything.
Very true! This is an option we looked into to some depth. The problem is that I feel strongly about only breeding from health tested lines. There are no koolie studs that have health testing anywhere right now. Also, it costs the same if not more to import semen than an actual puppy that I can health test and personally know before breeding. Not that a higher price tag will ever stop us in the future from using a stud that will benefit our lines.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Behavior Nerd

Oh I know there's not a standard - I was talking more about the basic structure that makes for sound working and/or agility dogs. Shoulder angulation and such can make such a huge difference in performance and I know you have high hopes for him.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Oh I know there's not a standard - I was talking more about the basic structure that makes for sound working and/or agility dogs. Shoulder angulation and such can make such a huge difference in performance and I know you have high hopes for him.
So ya, that's the stuff we are looking at.

My husband is taking the ropes on this guy. I have my hands full with the merle girls. He's hoping to at least disc and dabble in herding. I'm trying to convince him to do dock diving as well, but we'll see! As long as he gets titles in disc and herding instinct tests well, I'm happy.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Can you repost (you did didn't you?) the parents photos? Any structural shots of them? Or you can PM if it's a distraction, I'm just curious. They're adorable babies. Too bad the solid female isn't drivey enough. :/
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Here's dad, Toolalla Skandal

Skandal by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Best I can do for structural

Skandal2 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Here's mom, Lanes Creek Shake N'Shiva

Shiva1 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Shiva by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Best I can do for structural

Shiva2 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Top Dog

What a cutie that boy is! I looked pretty seriously into a couple of solid Koolie males before I got Limit They sure are striking!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

There is just far too much cuteness in this one thread. <3

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Twin 2

Ditto to everything Sara said

There is this difficult line we're currently walking. Everyone and their mother knows that when I got Didgie I was hoping for a solid female. But in addition to that I had a time frame, certain breeding and importing with someone else to consider. Stupid dogs then don't cooperate, only two females were born, both merle, added onto Sara and I pretty much looking for the exact same thing in a dog.

Honestly, if we was going into this for mainly breeding purposes we would have picked a breeding pair, proven to work and work well, brought them over, health checked and used that to start. But I wasn't just getting a dog for breeding, I was getting a pet/sport prospect/evil ringleader, not just a uterus.

Luckily, both Didgie and Zinga turned out to be exactly what we wanted for our sport and pet goals even if they made breeding goals a little more complicated. Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's too bad Didgie and Zinga are sisters, merle and female because they compliment eachother very well.

But, like Sara said a lot of thought went into picking parents and research/people were spoken to. Both last time and this time around even if it seems like we were (and we are) in a sense just picking based on color or gender. As it is breeding any of these dogs isn't set in stone since they are all too young say for certain.

Also, on the subject of having semen shipped. It's still a viable option later one. I've spoken to a couple people who would be willing to get their dogs health tested and are open to the idea of shipping it over. Nothing of course worked out, but we've been feeling around so hopefully one day that might be an option.

ETA: I also just wanted to say that I personally and I'm pretty sure the same goes for Sara, have NO issue with you guys asking questions about why we did things the way we did them or anything else. I have no problems being questioned or answering questions, so if you have them just ask, I'm not going to take it personally. I much prefer outright questions to wonderings behind the scenes.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Maybe it's just because I've become so accustomed to seeing the 3 koolies on here, but I seriously think that the koolies on this forum are way better looking then all the other ones I see. Even relatives of the 3 here.

Zip Tie better not disappoint, that's all I have to say.

I can't wait to meet him! Frodo says he can.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Maybe it's just because I've become so accustomed to seeing the 3 koolies on here, but I seriously think that the koolies on this forum are way better looking then all the other ones I see. Even relatives of the 3 here.

Zip Tie better not disappoint, that's all I have to say.

I can't wait to meet him! Frodo says he can.
Hey now! Don't forget Rue! I think Rue is pretty freaking great looking too Nina just needs to post more to remind you of that.