Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Default Next Dog Breed?

Hey everyone! Well, since we are moving to Texas in the months of May-June, there is a possibility of a new puppy coming to chaz in 2013! (but early 2014 is more likely) But, I need help deciding on a breed, so here we go:

My favorite breed is the GSD, and there is a possibility I may get one, but shedding is an issue for my parents. My mom dislikes germs, ahaha.

--low-medium shedding is best (but not mandatory.)
--The dog must be 50+ pounds
--I'm interested in either flyball or agility, though I'm unsure which
--I am willing to brush the dog daily, but I am not willing to clip fur
--We will be active (at least one walk or jog everyday, with many play times in between.)
--I don't mind a dog that learns a bit slower.
--I personally like dogs that like cuddling/human attention.
--Dog must be loyal
--I don't mind whether dog is wary of strangers or not
--Dog must be ok with other dogs (it will be socialized)
--Dog must be active, but with an off switch

I have experience with BC mixes, and GSD mixes.

Any suggestions are welcome

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

I would think some of the larger English Shepherds might fit that bill.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the suggestion! I just read up a bit on English shepherds, and I really like what I'm seeing so far!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

A Doberman might work as sort of a GSD alternative, except for the other dogs thing. Same sex aggression is common in the breed, especially among males, so they're not recommended as being necessarily dog park type dogs. But I find GSDs to be very much the same way in that regard.

Just based on my own dogs: I take them to lots of doggy social gatherings and I often take them to dog parks as well, always with an issue thus far. Both of my dogs, while not really into playing with dogs they don't know, are good with other dogs. Their breeder often has huge Dober dinners and there can easily be 13+ Dobes in her house and playing in the yard with seldom an issue (only seen two minor scuffles in 8 years). So it can happen. But they're not really a breed to go into if you're expecting and requiring a dog loving type dog, so it's something to be aware of. I find the girls tend to want to be "fun police" too, which is Keira, so I keep a watchful eye on her. She's not to an extreme and it's easy to get her to stop trying to control dogs' fun, otherwise her dog park days would be done. But I've seen other dober girls who are much more controlling and huge Fun Police type dogs who I would never take to a park or a big dog gathering.

Other than that, the Dobermans I've been around can be described as all of your points on your list.

They're:

- Low shedding (compared to a double coated breed anyway)
- Super attached and want to be with/near their people. Preferably on top of and touching at all times haha.
- Active/high energy but settle well and are pretty content with just doing whatever you're doing, whether it's something active or just a lazy day (as adults - puppies/adolescents can be trying)
- Can be good Flyball and Agility dogs, although honestly Agility scares me with Ripley. Keira's smaller frame/size seems much better suited/less risk for injury due to clumsy-ness.
- Between 60-80lbs on average
- Very trainable. A little more distracted IME than a lot of dogs, but they grasp things quickly once you find their focus and motivator. Can be a little hard headed sometimes and many tend to think a lot.
- Should be accepting and tolerant of new people. Most are aloof/reserved, but not in an unfriendly way. To a Doberman life really is all about their person and generally other people don't matter much to them. Mine will solicit attention from other people at home, because they can't resist a hand that pets, but they're definitely not in your face friendly type dogs.

I'm sure there are lots of other breeds as well that could work, and no guarantees that a Doberman is just the right one. Based on your list they hit what you want based on my own experiences, so I figured I'd toss them out there. And I know a lot of GSD people have been quite happy looking into Dobermans when a GSD no longer fit their lifestyle (usually due to barking or shedding and size is what I hear most often).

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Yes I've heard of household SSA in GSDs. If you were to take them to a dog park / dog gathering-like setting, are they tolerant of new dogs? I'm unsure of whether or not we will be put into this situation or not, but just making sure.
If I do get another dog, it will be a male, since Crystal has mild SSA.

Thanks for the suggestions and information, I appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
Yes I've heard of household SSA in GSDs. If you were to take them to a dog park / dog gathering-like setting, are they tolerant of new dogs? I'm unsure of whether or not we will be put into this situation or not, but just making sure.
If I do get another dog, it will be a male, since Crystal has mild SSA.
Not sure if you were asking about my dogs are about GSDs... I'm assuming mine, but ignore me if I totally read that wrong haha.

My dogs are fine meeting new dogs, going to dog parks, dog gatherings, etc. Never a problem. My breeder's dogs seem more dog tolerant (esepcially same sex tolerant) than a lot of Dobermans, at least around this area and also compared to stories I hear on my Doberman forum. I would not allow another male to live in the house with Ripley permanently, as interhouse SSA is way too risky and common in the breed and especially in males, but he's fine meeting other males and having playdates with male dogs he also knows. Like I said, Keira can be a bit of a Fun Police type dog, but it's easily kept in check and mostly she just sniffs, does a quick tail twitch (Ki's version of a wag) and moves along without a care in the world. Ripley ignores a lot of dogs in the same sort of way, but he also loves playing with new dogs, male or female. My Dobermans are very dog social and I can say the same for 98% of the Dobermans I know from their breeder (of which there are many) regardless of their age or gender. But there are a lot of other Dobermans I'd never consider taking to parks or dog social gatherings. It greatly seems to depend on the dog, and perhaps lines too. I think if one considers a Doberman they should be aware that they may or may not get a doggy social type dog to take to parks and such. I feel fortunate that I can do so safely, although I also know that there could come a day that that could change, although honestly with my two I really don't foresee that happening based on them themselves and their relatives.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Top Dog

Yes, I was asking about Dobermans
Could SSA be prevented if I were to seek out parents that didn't show any SSA? I understand that it can't be fully prevented 100%, but would having parents/pedigree which lacks SSA make it easier to get a pup that won't develop it? I apologize for bombarding you with questions, lol.

(Please excuse typos, this was written on my cell phone.)

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Top Dog

I feel like an idiot but what does SSA mean? I always see it and I don't know the meaning behind it.

Does it possibly mean same sex aggression?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
I feel like an idiot but what does SSA mean? I always see it and I don't know the meaning behind it.

Does it possibly mean same sex aggression?
Yes

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

What about some sort of Pointer? German Shorthair or Wirehair? Seems like they would fit the bill. Skye is some sort of Pointer mix and doesn't shed near as much as a GSD.