Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Crazy Dog!

Default Is the Dog Fancy Changing?

Is the Dog Fancy at a Tipping Point?

This article came across my Facebook.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

The article is interesting, and the comments after it even more so for me.

Granted, I'm very much on the "outside" of the dog fancy. I don't do conformation or breed or have any desire to do either, so my thoughts are to be taken with a large hunk of salt block .

I do think things are changing, and that they will continue to do so. I think the market for purebreds from breeders will continue to decrease - although only to a point. I don't think the desire for purebreds will go away completely ever, and I think the ball will be in the breeders' court to decide how to handle it. Decreasing the number of litters while increasing/maintaining the genetic diversity (Keeping the "big name" sires from flooding entire generations with their genes) would seem critical. Increasing the market for the puppies as much as possible (putting sport/work titles/history on the dogs so they appeal to those outside the conformation/pet world) would help. Keeping studbooks open to non-AKC registered purebreds probably goes against the instincts of people on both sides of that fence.

And, quite bluntly, the purebred people (speaking generally - I know plenty of purebred people who aren't the issue) need to be kinder and more accepting. As someone who is very active in dog sport with my rescues, and who sometimes tosses around the idea of going to a breeder next time, an article like that turns me off, and the comments under it make it worse. Because when I read "I have a rescue dog too! I don't think they are terrible!" it doesn't balance out "Well if you want a nice dog with a predictable temperament who is healthy and wonderful, you have to go to a breeder. Rescue dogs have baggage and you don't know what they will turn into.". I read all the words and all my heart hears is "Your dog has less value than mine". And it makes me pull away and turn into "I got two amazing dogs from very different rescue situations, and by God I'll get another and knock your 'perfect' purebreds off the podium."

Some of my closest friends are breeders, and I am in awe of what an amazing thing they do for their breed. I absolutely believe we need good breeders of purebreds out there maintaining the breeds and producing what people want.

Some of my closest friends are rescuers, and I am in awe of what an amazing thing they do for dogs. I absolutely believe we need good rescuers out there pulling the amazing dogs off of death row and placing them in homes where they can thrive.

I found it funny, and a little sad, when last month, two of my good friends finally met. Both had heard me speak of the other fondly. One friend runs a rescue that mostly pulls dogs from the southern shelters. One friend breeds a companion breed and shows. Both happen to do agility as well. *Both* commented to me after the fact that "I wasn't sure if she'd have an issue with me, since I breed/rescue." Both laughed when I mentioned the comment, and replied with variations of "Why would I have an issue? She has nice dogs that are well cared for and go out and do things."

When people can stop talking down the other side in an effort to boost their own position, perhaps all dog people can work together to combat the political issues that will affect us all in the long run.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I started and stopped reading this article probably five times, I don't know why I can't get through it.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
And, quite bluntly, the purebred people (speaking generally - I know plenty of purebred people who aren't the issue) need to be kinder and more accepting. As someone who is very active in dog sport with my rescues, and who sometimes tosses around the idea of going to a breeder next time, an article like that turns me off, and the comments under it make it worse. Because when I read "I have a rescue dog too! I don't think they are terrible!" it doesn't balance out "Well if you want a nice dog with a predictable temperament who is healthy and wonderful, you have to go to a breeder. Rescue dogs have baggage and you don't know what they will turn into.". I read all the words and all my heart hears is "Your dog has less value than mine". And it makes me pull away and turn into "I got two amazing dogs from very different rescue situations, and by God I'll get another and knock your 'perfect' purebreds off the podium."
Oh, I get it. I see it all the time. Some trials down here (AKC) have the opted out of allowing the mixed breed (PAL) registered dogs to compete. Is it because these trials already regularly filled to the limits before mixed breeds were allowed to compete? I don't know. I currently don;t have a mixed breed competing in anything, so that doesn't affect me. I don't like supporting a club who discriminates though. Even if AKC's sole reason for allowing mixed breeds to compete was money. If they are allowed, then open the trial to them.

I also see the bleeding heart rescuers who want every. single. dog. spayed/neutered. Keep your hands off of my pets. Period. I have two intact males right now. One is most certainly a "rescue" of undetermined breed/history. I'm just glad he wandered up into my yard instead of us getting him through an actual organization. Now, he will be getting neutered, but at the time, my vet thought it was best to wait. His balls aren't causing us any trouble and with the massive amount of infection Gus had when we got him, neutering wasn't an option.

What I got out of this article was more about the rights as pet owners. With people lobbying for gun control right now, I feel we are stepping closer and closer to losing our rights to own pets. I am not a gun freak, I really could care less about guns, but I will support American's rights to own them because if you take one right away, you open the door for more to be taken too.

It sucks on both sides of the fence. I care about dogs, I don't like seeing people dumping litter after litter at the shelter. In a town of 60,000 people, our shelter PTS about 500 unwanted dogs/puppies/cats/kittens a MONTH. In one month. I won't quit producing litters though, I won't quit buying dogs from good breeders. And oddly enough, I guess I will support the rights of those who also choose to breed, or not S/N, etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I know the bleeding heart rescuers you mean, and they are absolutely an issue. But since the topic of discussion was "why are purebred breeders losing buyers to rescue", I mentioned that side of it. Neither side is guilt free when it comes to this rift that causes dog groups to fight against each other instead of working together.

If your intact rescue dog is being contained enough to not be breeding, and you are willing to take responsibility for any puppies if that containment fails, I have zero issue with him being intact. And, as I said, I have no issue with good breeders working to maintain and improve their breed even while shelter dogs die.

As you said, it often boils down to the rights of the owner. The problem I see outlined in the article - and the comments - is that until the rescue people stop fighting with the purebred people; until the conformation people stop fighting with the working people who are fighting with the sport people; we are just wasting energy that should be directed elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
As you said, it often boils down to the rights of the owner. The problem I see outlined in the article - and the comments - is that until the rescue people stop fighting with the purebred people; until the conformation people stop fighting with the working people who are fighting with the sport people; we are just wasting energy that should be directed elsewhere.
I haven't read the article yet but this is a good point. Divide and conquer means that the anti-pet people have an easier time getting their way. Get the breeders and rescuers fighting and it's easier to get anti-breeding laws in effect. Get breeders pointing fingers at each other for being responsible or irresponsible and it's easier to get anti-breeding laws passed. But it's not just breeding that is affected or targeted. There's BSL, limit laws, etc which affect all owners regardless of where you stand on rescue vs. breeding. In the bigger picture, the breeder vs. rescue stuff isn't that important. There really is room for both. There really is a place for both.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I started and stopped reading this article probably five times, I don't know why I can't get through it.
Me too, I tried & tried but I just could not get through it :/
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Kung Pow Fish

http://rufflyspeaking.net/is-the-dog...tipping-point/
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Crazy Dog!

Yeah, it can be like that. I was there, traveled with a group of hateful people for years.

I try my damndest not to be that person anymore. I also can't be called a big time breeder, nor am I out showing weekend after weekend. I spend a lot more money enjoying the dogs now. If it isn't fun, we aren't doing it.

There are hateful people everywhere and you (general you) will either allow it, or you won't. When I was hanging around with those kind of people, even if I didn't ant to be that way, I was allowing that bad behavior to occur.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Thanks for sharing the alternative take.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.