Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

People do it all of the time, don't worry. Normal people can own dogs, too. I would make a potty pad available as well as an area to get away from the potty. Think xpen not crate.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So I'm trying to write up a "puppy plan" to give to my boyfriend to make the whole "I will be getting a puppy this summer/fall" easier to digest.

The main issue he has, and it is my main concern as well, is it fair to have a puppy if we are not home for 6+ hours a day?
Yes. It's six hours. Puppies sleep way more than that. Your puppy will learn that during the day it's time to snooze or nom on a toy or kong you've left for him. I'm not sure why that's considered cruel?

Is your BF not okay with adding a puppy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
People do it all of the time, don't worry. Normal people can own dogs, too. I would make a potty pad available as well as an area to get away from the potty. Think xpen not crate.
Exactly.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Resident fainting goat

I wouldn't worry.. you can make it work use an ex-pen

and instead of potty pads.. perhaps try one of these things? Squares of grass are cheap at any local homedepot kind of thing.. and then a large litter box.
It would help to make it easier to transition to outside..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Professional Nerd

I have a patio kennel in my laundry room for Stannis. When he was little I put newspaper in it. He made a horrible mess, but stopped after a couple of months. He has kept it totally clean for at least six months, and it gives him a little more room to stretch out.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How old was Cali when you started leaving her for a full work day?

Even if we can come home mid-day or have someone come, the puppy will be in an x-pen with a crate/bed, stuffed kong/toys, and a pee pad. I don't like the idea of being confined in a crate for hours and hours.
She was just a few days over 10 weeks. Honestly, most people who get puppies work, it's just not realistic for everyone to take off until puppy transitions. If you can, that's great, otherwise you carry on with life.

If you were leaving the dog locked up for 10 hours a day with no break, etc that is one thing. But, you are talking about 6 hours in an ex-pen. It will have room to run, play, sleep, and a place to potty. You have to remember that puppies are small, and that they sleep a ton when they are little.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

I'm gone for way longer than that. I use 6' square chain link kennels in a back room (former back porch, now enclosed and part of the house. It has a concrete floor) The dogs have a bed, and a potty area with pee pads. And a bowl of water. They're fine.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Puppy Dog

When Ash was a puppy i set up an ex-pen to take up a large chunk of my kitchen. I taped garbage bags to the floor and covered most of the area with newspaper, then put a folded blanket in there, along with toys, a small bowl of food and a bowl of water.

While it was messy when i got home, he was totally fine. He was easy to housebreak and settles quickly in a crate now, at 18 months.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi was a latch key puppy!! It was harder, but actually her housetraining was a lot easier than Fred. I think it really depends on the individual dog in that respect. I think her being an only dog at the time helped, as I was able to devote all my non-work time to her.

Fred has my other half, and his parents around, during the day so he never has to be left entirely alone. It made no difference to house training at all, he was slower than Bodhi by far! It also harder to devote 100% attention to him as Bodhi likes to be involved, and I have to shut her away to train him, so can't just do that all night every night like I did her.

I honestly believe it is down to each individual dog how it works out. I'm not sure we could have left Fred as an only dog alone all day. But then, I'll never know. It does make life a lot easier knowing someone is there, and it's certainly guilt free. In an IDEAL world I wouldn't work at all and spend all day hanging out with them, but I gotta work to afford their lavish lifestyle ha!

It can and does work. Just think carefully about which dog you add. Also I probably believe a young puppy will adapt better than an older one personally..... Bodhi never knew any different. I think if that she was older and used to people being around it would have been more distressing for her to lose that....
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Top Dog

Oh yay! My fears have subsided!
My boyfriend would prefer an adult dog over a puppy, mostly because I've always said how much easier it is to get an adult that is passed the potty training, teething, etc. phases. But after explaining why I changed my mind, he's more open to it. He was concerned we wouldn't have enough time for a puppy, but I'll direct him here to reassure him that it is common for people to have puppies and work full time.

Pupppppyyyy!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

In a crate? I might be guilty/worry about it, but in an x-pen? I really don't see a problem. 6 hours is not long. If they can be in a crate overnight, an x-pen for 6 hours is going to be fine, as long as once you get home, you are sure to spend plenty of time with them.

This is why my work schedule is flipping perfect for a puppy though! I work 2hrs in the mornings, 3 hours in the evenings and have weekends off. So much puppy training time and the puppy would only be crated for a max of 3hrs!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)