Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Default Puppy + Job = ?

So I'm trying to write up a "puppy plan" to give to my boyfriend to make the whole "I will be getting a puppy this summer/fall" easier to digest.

The main issue he has, and it is my main concern as well, is it fair to have a puppy if we are not home for 6+ hours a day?

For those of you that were not able to bring your puppy to work with you, did you have someone/yourself come mid-day to take puppy out?

I wouldn't really think twice about leaving an adult dog that long, but it seems kind of cruel to leave a puppy that long without any interaction.

My hope is to be able to work part time during the first month of puppy's arrival, which would either enable me to leave work around noon each day, or have a few days off each week. That way we can get into a routine, puppy will have a bit more bladder control, and we can see how puppy copes while left alone.

Is it unreasonable to leave a puppy (as young as 2-3 months) in an x-pen for 6+ hours a day without a mid-day break?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Many, many people do it. Luckily, when we got Rosey, my mom was still a SAHM, but if she wasn't, Rosey would have been left alone roughly 8 hours a day. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

When we brought Cali home, we worked it so that for the first two weeks she was home, someone was always home. This allowed her to settle in without the stress of being alone, and gave us the opportunity to crate train her. During this time we would leave and would increase it little by little. By the time we both went back to work she could care less that we were leaving.

At the time my husband worked less than 4 miles from home so he would come home for lunch. She would get out to potty, play, and eat (when she was eating three times a day). By the time he left she was ready for nap time again, and was usually still asleep when we arrived home from work.

She was the easiest puppy we have raised to date, so that helped in many ways. If there is no way for you to come home half way through the day to let her out I would consider setting up and ex-pen. Doing the ex-pen set up would allow space to play, the crate for nap time, and you could have an area for a potty pad. This way any confusion of going potty in the crate could be avoided.

Good Luck!

ETA: I failed at reading the entire post. Your plan sounds very similar to what we did.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Well, I do not think very young puppies should be left alone for 8 hours a day. I think that's somewhat cruel. I wouldn't make a young dog hold it's bladder that long, not to mention the lack of interaction etc. I think early on, it is important to find someone to let the pup out and play at least once, and once they get older transition them to the 6-8 hour a day schedule.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisssAshby View Post
When we brought Cali home, we worked it so that for the first two weeks she was home, someone was always home. This allowed her to settle in without the stress of being alone, and gave us the opportunity to crate train her. During this time we would leave and would increase it little by little. By the time we both went back to work she could care less that we were leaving.

At the time my husband worked less than 4 miles from home so he would come home for lunch. She would get out to potty, play, and eat (when she was eating three times a day). By the time he left she was ready for nap time again, and was usually still asleep when we arrived home from work.

She was the easiest puppy we have raised to date, so that helped in many ways. If there is no way for you to come home half way through the day to let her out I would consider setting up and ex-pen. Doing the ex-pen set up would allow space to play, the crate for nap time, and you could have an area for a potty pad. This way any confusion of going potty in the crate could be avoided.

Good Luck!

ETA: I failed at reading the entire post. Your plan sounds very similar to what we did.
How old was Cali when you started leaving her for a full work day?

Even if we can come home mid-day or have someone come, the puppy will be in an x-pen with a crate/bed, stuffed kong/toys, and a pee pad. I don't like the idea of being confined in a crate for hours and hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Well, I do not think very young puppies should be left alone for 8 hours a day. I think that's somewhat cruel. I wouldn't make a young dog hold it's bladder that long, not to mention the lack of interaction etc. I think early on, it is important to find someone to let the pup out and play at least once, and once they get older transition them to the 6-8 hour a day schedule.
That's my feeling too.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Little dog, big voice

We got Cali at nine weeks, she was staying in her crate for four hour intervals the next day, simply because my mom was working ten minutes a day. Although, I think by six months (and at 3.5 or less pounds), she was staying in her crate for eight hours a day. She's never seemed to mind it and has no difficulty holding her bladder/bowel that long. If we go shopping though, we usually get my dad or the pet sitter to come up around noon to play with her and let her use the bathroom.

ETA: And her 'crate' is a larger crate meant for a full grown, large dog with some toys and blankets and she has her regular crate inside.. although I think she sleeps through the day with no issues.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

I've never had a puppy and not worked. Most days I was able to get home for lunch. But, with Jules..as a small breed, if I knew I wouldn't be able to, I'd set him up in a bathroom with his crate and then a separate paper/pad potty area, so that he could, if needed, soil away from his sleeping area. With the Chows, I didn't bother, as no matter what they'd not have soiled in the house, even as young pups. Most days, when I did come home, I had to wake them. They certainly were not up and pining.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Tucker was left for 7 hours a day starting at about 12 weeks of age (we got him when he was 10 weeks, summer vacation was almost over). We put him in a play pen with toys, bed, and a pee pad. He used the pad for a few days and then starter holding it. As long as you remember thst when you come home from work tired the pup is going to be rearing to go and will need your attention you should be fine. The pup will most likely learn to sleep when you are gone, some morning play before work and a walk to empty him would be ideal.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

We brought Hudson home at around 9 weeks. The first day I was able to work from home and then my husband and I tried to work from home a half day the rest of the week. The hurricane changed our plans because we lost power and had to go in. But, he was put in a large crate, I think it's a 36 long, with toys and pee pads.

Our leave for work and come home times are also staggered. My husband leaves about an hour after I do and I get home a few hours before he does. We make it work and I don't think Hudson has suffered for it.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I'd worry about leaving an 8, 10, 12 week old puppy alone for that long, definitely.

At 4 or 5 months, it seems much more doable. In the beginning I would try to come home at lunch or see about getting a puppy walker or sitter to stop in midday, at least to change the puppy's messy pads (a young pup can't hold it that long in a crate). And maybe provide a mid-day meal.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com