Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
If you only give a gift expecting something in return, it's not a gift--it's a weird justification to get something yourself.

I don't like giving gifts at Christmas--I do it out of a sense of societal obligation, but I would much prefer that gifts were given at that magical moment that I find something that screams "__________ would love this!" and gave it just because.
Exactly but what you're saying is totally contradictory. If you give gifts out of obligation (which, let's face it, we all have to do at Christmas, can't exactly go empty handed), then of course it's normal to expect something in return (talking about adults). Because the other people share the same obligation. Then why wouldn't be people be allowed to feel disappointed if they get a crappy gift after giving a good one?

I'm sure even the people who complain about their gifts had someone they were happy to give to, and really didn't care what they got in return. But nobody's here taking into account the fact that are Christmas people are obligated to give gifts. It throws the whole 'a gift isn't a gift if you expect something in return' theory out of the window, IMO. And I think people are allowed to be disappointed if they got junk.

Personally I don't really care though. I don't need anything and I'd rather have nothing than something that will just take dust and I'll feel obligated to keep, lol. But I didn't get out of my way to buy gifts either, except for my kids, so I don't think I'm entitled to feel disappointed, lol.