Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
When did everyone start buying baby supplies?

I'm 17 weeks, and I haven't bought one thing. Mostly because it was such a high risk pregnancy, and after two previous miscarriages I wasn't about to get a bunch of baby things and then have my heart broken.

But now some of the pregnant girls I follow on tumblr who are around the same due date as me are posting that they've gotten just about everything on their list, they have stacks and stacks of diapers and everything all set up...which seems a little unnecessary to me, but I'm feeling unprepared now!
Do not compare yourself to others. Do what feels best for you. You think it's unnecessary, so start buying stuff when you feel it's right.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

When is the time for a baby shower? Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

I didn't have a baby shower, lol. I hate groups of people/social gatherings. and inviting people in a group to buy my kid things seemed inappropriate. My theory was if they wanted to buy him something, they could do so without having a gathering.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Top Dog

I don't really want a shower, either. I just want to have a big barbecue/pool party before the kid is born and people can write notes in a baby book or something.

I think most people have the shower late, at like 8 months pregnant. I had a friend who's preemie came before her shower (which she still had) and most have their babies within a month or two after the shower.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Top Dog

Milos, at 20weeks I only have a few "fun" things. I bought a vibrating chair thing and a coworker gave me a bassinet. Other than that, I have a onesie with a Pitbull, a onesie with angel wings, an amber teething necklace and a ring sling. That's it.

This is my in laws first grandchild so I know they'll want to buy a ton of stuff, plus I'm expecting a ton of hand me down stuff.

I also was told not to stock up on disposal diapers since some babies will have a sensitivity to one type or another.

After tomorrow we will start getting more serious about getting baby stuff but we are only halfway there so I'm not panicking.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I had my baby shower around 8 months. My MIL threw the shower for me. At that point I didn't know many people here so I only knew about half the people at my shower LOL but I met a group of extended friends and family from my husbands childhood so that was nice

As for buying things for the baby, I started whenever I spotted something that was a good deal or during summertime yardsale season lol. yardsales are a GOLD MINE for baby clothes

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Bite Club

We started around 25 weeks I think. Slowly mostly with hand me down stuff. Once I hit 30 weeks reality started to set in and we have been more focused lol. So over the past few weeks I've gotten diapers and clothes, crib, carrier and sling, a doula!, and organizing rooms and general clean up is beginning this week. We have a bit more to prepare since we are planning a home birth. Rented a tub and all that good stuff. We got a lot of bigger stuff (carseats, strollers, playpen, change table) from a friend and some used so we didn't have to spend a ton.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

Just a reminder to those using hand-me-down car seats: car seats have only 6 years until they "expire", so please check the manufacturers sticker for info on when the car seat was made. The last thing you need is to be in a wreck and have the inner parts of the seat fail, thus not protecting the baby as it should (I.e. not restraining the baby, instead allows movement). These incidents DO happen.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Behavior Nerd

Jen I just have to say that I'm psyched that I now "know" someone doing a homebirth AND having a doula! LOL

Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Jen I just have to say that I'm psyched that I now "know" someone doing a homebirth AND having a doula! LOL
My friend is having a home birth with her second on St. Pattys day unless it comes early LOL. I'm supposed to be the kid wrangler LOL. (She has a 2 year old but doesn't want family there) She will also have a doula/pro photog LOL) I'm so excited to be able to be there!

Shes also not done a single ultrasound or anything. I tell her constantly shes nuts for that part because Ive found so many cute baby things and I can NOT buy them. GAH.

She castor oil induced her last exactly on her due date and she was 9lbs +.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie