Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

because depression clouds judgement. The majority of those calling the hotlines and thinking of taking their own lives aren't doing it in the calm state of mind of "I just want to opt out of life please" they are doing it because they are depressed and see no other option/silver lining. Not because there isn't one but because they can't see it. That's what depression does.

If suicide was seen as an okidoki perfectly fine option.. people would take their own lives and think of their lives as meaningless. I mean why wouldn't they? Nobody really minds if they kill themselves..so why not?

The idea is frowned upon because established human life is seen as something precious. Regardless of the person..they are seen as someone who deserves to be here, who has things to contribute, a life to live, memories, people who love them, people who count on them etc..
And we fight to help people see that things do and WILL get better. Sure, not everyone lives a perfectly happy life but everyone does get to live.. and that's better than the alternative.

Most people who do have these thoughts come out the other side changing their STATE OF MIND (which usually is the real problem, not their life itself) and do realize that their lives are worth living.
That's why it's worth it to fight and continue to tell people suicide isn't an option.

To tell people that suicide is ok is to tell them that their life doesn't matter. That THEY don't matter.. that there aren't people who would mourn their loss, that the world would be fine without them, that they have nothing else to contribute.. and that is not ok.

Physician assisted suicide.. well, that's a whole nother issue and frankly, I believe if someone is going to die anyway, they should have the right to decide to go painlessly instead of drawing out their suffering.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.