Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Everything Shai said! Again! Read that post 27 times!

Also, Shai...
Quote:
Most importantly, written in large friendly letters: DON'T PANIC.
(carrying a towel is optional)
You win my favorite person of the day award (very prestigious) for that.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Most importantly, written in large friendly letters: DON'T PANIC.
(carrying a towel is optional)
Yes. I love you.

I have nothing else to add to this thread.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Puppies are so nerve wracking. I hear you Fred is not snappy or reactive at all, but he's not always confident, so we just take things steady and I try to be one step ahead so I can turn any event positive.

He has spooked at people out and about, so I just let hm look and sniff, and I give them a ton of biscuits to feed him!!! Slowly slowly, but it is working. I know its not the same thing, but just want you to know you're not on your own!

I felt really really deflated at first, but I know its actually no biggie now and totally fixable. As Merlin will be!!!! Puppies are silly.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, I agree with all that Shai (and others) said. Great advice!

I obviously haven't seen him recently, but I know when he lifted his lips in puppy class last week, he looked like he was just unsure of what to do with such an in your face, pushy puppy like that Siberian Husky was. It didn't seem concerning to me. Just a puppy trying to get his point across that he's a little unsure and that's his only way of knowing how to tell another puppy to back off.

Keira hates dogs that get in her face rudely. Always has. Even as a puppy, she would react very much like Merlin is. And she grew up to be as non-reactive as they come. She'll tell a rude dog off when they deserve it but she mainly just goes about life as normal and ignores other dogs/people/etc. like they don't matter at all. She's super easy to take anywhere and I never, ever worry that she's going to react to anything in the world be it objects, dogs, people, whatever.

With Keira I just made sure I protected her from obnoxious dogs/puppies by keeping her away (because you don't want to create a defensive dog by constantly having him in such situations of course), and I rewarded her for just being around nice dogs. Puppy class is awesome for this kind of thing, too. Most of the class they're just with you while all the other puppies are with their owners, so the pups aren't in eachothers' faces and he'll get used to just being around them and nothing happening. The one I'm taking Journey to is big on puppy playtime, but they're also huge on body language and interrupt puppies who are getting too rough and scaring the other puppies, which seems to help. Journey doesn't snark at other pups, but she doesn't like in your face pups either. She runs back to me and avoids the situation. I know both of these puppies have had a lot of doggy social time, so I don't think it's even lack of exposure. They just don't seem like real doggy puppies, which I don't think there is anything wrong with, especially for a service dog.

Puppies are definitely odd and he'll probably go through a lot of things that might scare you a bit, but chances are he'll come out of it. I wouldn't worry.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Puppies are so nerve wracking. I hear you Fred is not snappy or reactive at all, but he's not always confident, so we just take things steady and I try to be one step ahead so I can turn any event positive.

He has spooked at people out and about, so I just let hm look and sniff, and I give them a ton of biscuits to feed him!!! Slowly slowly, but it is working. I know its not the same thing, but just want you to know you're not on your own!

I felt really really deflated at first, but I know its actually no biggie now and totally fixable. As Merlin will be!!!! Puppies are silly.
Bolded parts x2 lol
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin has been playing with other dogs and just being generally awesome lately lol go figure. Even with playful boisterous crazy dogs he loves it!

Guess he just needed time to settle and gain confidence. lol next we work on...screaming in his crate everytime I am out of sight!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Silence, peasants.

Okay; the spam is killing me.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Resident fainting goat

Lol should we be concerned? The spam is starting to unfold like some kind of assault case
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
swimming upstream

sometimes, the spammers are entertaining-lol. Just don't take their advice Fran!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corderse View Post
I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss.

Feistea, ze Blog