Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

Default Manual DSLR walk...in RAW...help please!

Ok, took the dogs for a hike yesterday to give manual/RAW a try. Thank goodness I shot in RAW because I had to do *a lot* of post-processing! We walked on a road with a lot of trees and the light was very stripe-y. My dogs are all different colors - two very dark, one dark with light markings, and one very light with dark markings. Anyway, I struggled with my settings and managed to get a few pics that I liked ok...not my faves but not terrible.

So, suggestions? I am going to go on the same trail again today, but it is way overcast so hopefully it will be easier...also, what do I do about when I am focusing on Kastle and then switch to Eden - do I have to change the settings or do I settle for some happy middle ground?

Finally, what kind of focus do you recommend? I left it on autofocus but I'm not happy. I usually used sport mode so I had one little focus square and could choose what I wanted it to focus on - I loved that. Is there a way to do that? What if I want to focus on two dogs in slightly different planes? Do I fogus on one and then adjust the aperture? Then, if I choose to take a wide shot of the scenery, and I focus in the middle, will it be an unpleasant shot? Help me!

My little wolf...with the green ball haha

I told him to out...he didn't want to - little brat.

This is his stress face...the ball has rolled away behind him LOL

Good boy

My masculine guard

Recall practice, who will win?

Crazy Kelpie - his eyes just do not condone themselves for looking...well, "normal". Perhaps he should join the Lemur club?

Legs, they are ridiculous
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

Where's the snow?

Stalkin'

Kelpie camouflage, can you see him?

Eden's pics turned out the best...IMO

The end(s)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

I love these.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

when it changes light like that, it is difficult, at least what I've found. i'm no expert by any means. I was taking pics off my MIL's back deck this weekend, and in the shaded areas the pics were good, in the sun they were so over exposed it was ridiculous, and the settings for the sun made all the shade pictures way too dark

Either you have to get fast and have the experience to fall back on to make those adjustments quickly, or suffer through some bad pics till you get that experience at least that's how i'm approaching it.

I think it might help to use the AV or TV mode so you don't have to worry about as many settings at once to get good shots until you're more comfortable with them. at least it sounds like a good idea, but I"m saying screw it, all in for Manual till I get it right

As for the focal spot, you can change that in Manual mode and others. it can pick multiples, the center spot, or any single point in your array. It's not hard, but i'm not that camera savy yet, so without my camera in front of me, I can't tell you how to do it :P
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Finally, what kind of focus do you recommend? I left it on autofocus but I'm not happy. I usually used sport mode so I had one little focus square and could choose what I wanted it to focus on - I loved that. Is there a way to do that? What if I want to focus on two dogs in slightly different planes? Do I fogus on one and then adjust the aperture? Then, if I choose to take a wide shot of the scenery, and I focus in the middle, will it be an unpleasant shot? Help me!
I REALLY want to know the answer to these questions. I've been following the other thread and have played with the settings on my camera but I'm so freaking slow. And have yet to actually take anything in focus.

This picture? Was number one on my favorites.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

as for focus, I use one shot or AI servo for burst shooting action shots, at least that's what I'm playing around with.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Sport Model Pug

Not related to the photos but where did you get that ball and what is it called??? My friend is looking for one just like that as her other one got destroyed but she's had it so long she can't remember what it is.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Ordered two books specific to my camera, and a second battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I REALLY want to know the answer to these questions. I've been following the other thread and have played with the settings on my camera but I'm so freaking slow. And have yet to actually take anything in focus.

This picture? Was number one on my favorites.
Yay! We are learning together

That's his is-this-good-enough-to-count-as-an-out face. He is checking to see if I'm still watching/waiting for a "real" out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
as for focus, I use one shot or AI servo for burst shooting action shots, at least that's what I'm playing around with.
Awesome, I read about them in my manual but wasn't sure what they did and promptly forgot that I read that until you said this. I will give it a whirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Not related to the photos but where did you get that ball and what is it called??? My friend is looking for one just like that as her other one got destroyed but she's had it so long she can't remember what it is.
Large everlasting fun ball. I've seen them *everywhere* lately - PSP is where we got this one.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Getting on a computer after I run my two... I'll see what I can see when I'm back.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

Which camera are you on? I can tell you how to change focus if you tell me which camera