Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

He is so cute! And he sounds like such a smart puppy.

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 35 lbs
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

This thread is severely lacking in Merlin pictures.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Seriously. Moar pictures!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Lol working on pictures!! We have been so busy with training.. he started puppy class!

But.. any ideas on working on independence? Merlin is FINE in his crate and most anywhere as long as I am in sight and with him.. but the minute I leave or even go into another room he throws a HISSY FIT of epic proportions.. ideas? I love that he is so attached to me, and it's an asset as a SD in training.. but he does need to learn how to be ok on his own.
He is especially bad in the kind of situation where he can hear me. Like, he isn't that bad when I leave for work at all (I've filmed him) he cries for 10 minutes and then sleeps and settles down.

As in recently, I put him in my bathroom with a bullystick and his blanket because I had a friend staying over that is allergic to dogs (his crate doesn't fit in my bathroom)..

OH.
MY.
GOD.
He barked and whined and screamed for HOURS.. it was hard to talk at all with him in there.. that LOUD.

His crate is usually right by my bed so I just think he is not used to not being able to see me but being able to hear me..and I'd like to work on this because a time will come that he will have to sleep in a separate room from me.
To put it plainly I live in a studio and I am not comfortable with having guests of the male kind with my dogs right there sooooo he is going to have to get used to sleeping in the bathroom at some point.

He is also bad if I put him behind the counter at work and go to another part of the store or go say hi to another dog.. things like that. But nothing as bad as the bathroom fiasco.

Ideas?

I know the easiest thing would be to just stick him in the bathroom a few nights and just ignore him but I so wish there were some exercises or something else to help with his independence a bit and get him OK with being alone while I'm around/within earshot.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Behavior Nerd

Manners Minders work thru most doors....

Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'm not sure, but I think Devan was saying Journey is starting to get SA away from her too lol

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Manners Minders work thru most doors....
This. When I was initially working on Zinga being ok in one of the runs at work I used a manners minder along with a baby monitor (I couldn't hear if she was whiney from the receptionist's desk). Periodically reward for quiet.

The other problem that I've found is that bathrooms are kind of difficult for dogs to be in without a person. They can't see through the door and it's a tiny space. Can you try an expen or a baby gate to block him in the bathroom so that it's not so confined? Eventually work up to shutting the door for a little bit at a time once he's ok with the bathroom/gate setup.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Pics, pics, pics, pics.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Resident fainting goat

Picture time!

Sleeping on the job. He is so good at work, LOVES all the dogs and people.. but he gets so tired

SOMEBODY stole some treats off the counter. Couldn't possibly be this little angel..

Relaxing

He is so handsome.

TUG! lol his favorite game..

He is looking more and more like his mom

Is that a treat you're holding? he is such a fatty.. he LOVES treats!

His little chocolate nose!

His ears are looking show perfect obviously lol

and it's official. It's a crappy one and already pretty scratched out but he had to have something lol
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I agree that bathrooms seem particularly hard for dogs to stay in by themselves.

Would it be possible to put his crate behind a shelf or something so there's a solid obstruction between you and the crate? So he can be in the main area but you don't feel like little puppy eyes are watching you?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13