Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Top Dog

Default Breeder Recommendations

Trying to get our lists together and really start looking into breeders and upcoming litters for 2013 and 2014. We are moving to Italy in March, should be perfectly settled by April/May.

Top breeds we are looking at:

Siberian Husky & Alaskan Malamute (pretty sure I have this covered)
Rhodesian Ridgeback

Also considering:
German Shepherd
Doberman
Border Collie
Belgian Malinois (for shits and giggles, I know they come in many different flavors, like GSDs and BC's)

Type of dog we are looking for, across the board, is a more drivey dog with tons of energy but stable temperament and decent off switch. Primarily pet, but depending on the dog it might be my project dog to dabble in this or that sport. We are looking at working dogs for a reason, so conformation-only oriented breeders are out. If they do both, awesome.

Breeder has to be okay with a young military couple. We are young. We are military. No getting around that. All health testing applicable to the breed, of course, all the usual good-breeder material. Non-crazy people without crazy questionnaires are also nice.

Bonus if they are in Europe, since we will be in Italy.

Ready. Set. Go.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 AM
Top Dog

All the way to Italy from Montana?! WHY?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Top Dog

My GSD is a house pet and does multiple sports. He was a bit of a difficult puppy in terms of energy and craziness but is a wonderful dog to have in the house now (1.5 yrs old). Some weeks when we are super busy, I get out and throw the ball a bit during the day and then the rest of the time he just hangs out with me in the living room. Other times, we run every day and train every day, so he can also keep up with that. We've only been doing protection for about a month, but so far my training directors assure me he will be a solid dog that I can definitely compete with. He also is training/actively competing in dock jumping, flyball, agility, lure coursing, obedience etc etc.

His breeder sells with no contract but does test for hips/elbows and is in Belgium. I prefer a hands-off sort of contract, where the dog is *mine* after I buy him. He's been very supportive though and posts all of Kastle's achievements and occasional photos on his website. I've met 6-8 of his dogs that he's bred and probably another 4-5 of dogs he's sent to the USA not of his breeding to fulfill needs and they've all been what the handlers are looking for. Kastle's pretty extreme in terms of drive but I've met the "pet" dogs he's sent over and also a lower level competition dog (I asked for a dog I could potentially go to Nationals with and not make an ass of myself - realizing that puppies are a bit of a crapshoot), and they are definitely more easily manageable than Kastle but with good energy to do sports. I asked for extreme, Dutch Shepherd like energy and drive with a stable temperament.

ETA: I do UScA conformation (and UKC) with Kastle and he's doing well for a working line dog

It's VITAL to be exact in what you need. Don't say you want a dog that will run with you every day if you are not going to run every day etc....anyway: http://www.daelenberghutte.be/index2.htm

Oh, working line GSD In case you want a pic hehe

Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
All the way to Italy from Montana?! WHY?
Jin got PCS orders back in...July, I think? We were lucky to get some time to prepare, but it was definitely unexpected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
My GSD is a house pet and does multiple sports. He was a bit of a difficult puppy in terms of energy and craziness but is a wonderful dog to have in the house now (1.5 yrs old). Some weeks when we are super busy, I get out and throw the ball a bit during the day and then the rest of the time he just hangs out with me in the living room. Other times, we run every day and train every day, so he can also keep up with that. We've only been doing protection for about a month, but so far my training directors assure me he will be a solid dog that I can definitely compete with. He also is training/actively competing in dock jumping, flyball, agility, lure coursing, obedience etc etc.

His breeder sells with no contract but does test for hips/elbows and is in Belgium. I prefer a hands-off sort of contract, where the dog is *mine* after I buy him. He's been very supportive though and posts all of Kastle's achievements and occasional photos on his website. I've met 6-8 of his dogs that he's bred and probably another 4-5 of dogs he's sent to the USA not of his breeding to fulfill needs and they've all been what the handlers are looking for. Kastle's pretty extreme in terms of drive but I've met the "pet" dogs he's sent over and also a lower level competition dog (I asked for a dog I could potentially go to Nationals with and not make an ass of myself - realizing that puppies are a bit of a crapshoot), and they are definitely more easily manageable than Kastle but with good energy to do sports. I asked for extreme, Dutch Shepherd like energy and drive with a stable temperament.

It's VITAL to be exact in what you need. Don't say you want a dog that will run with you every day if you are not going to run every day etc....anyway:
Sounds wonderful! I'll take a closer look. The contract doesn't bother me so much. I'm a lot like you - I want the dog to be mine. I don't like breeders who require to keep the dog on retainer for breeding, or require showing and you pay all expenses....nope. Not for me.

I like drive, I love energy and the ability to be up for anything at just about any time. I love the work ethic. But there are some days where we just chill out around the house, which is why a nice off switch is good too. Stable, even temperament is vital, though. I've had my fill of extremely skittish dogs and I can't do aggression or reactivity. I don't mind harder, more stubborn, more drivey and demanding dogs, I just need that level of confidence first and foremost. One, because I just can't take it and two, because we are military, we might move a few more times, we are going to see people and other dogs. I just need a dog stable enough to handle that well, with enough proper handling and training.

And I LOVE the look of Kastle. I know, I know, it's aesthetics and all, but the long, deep slope on some GSDs freak me out a tiny bit.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Belgian Malinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Type of dog we are looking for, across the board, is a more drivey dog with tons of energy but stable temperament and decent off switch. Primarily pet
Stick with the other breeds on your list. If you don't want a conformation bred dog, Mals are not for you.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

HEY HEY HEY GET AN AUSSIE! LOOK HOW CUTE MERLIN IS!! LOL

that is my only contribution to this thread.. lol
Old 12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

Oh and I always liked these guys back when I wanted a GSD.. http://www.wildhauskennels.com/
They are a working breeder in Michigan
Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
HEY HEY HEY GET AN AUSSIE! LOOK HOW CUTE MERLIN IS!! LOL

that is my only contribution to this thread.. lol
Enabler. I've considered it. But some breeds I'd only get from certain breeders, so we'll see. I'll put the GSD breeder on my list too.

I'm really hoping to get a whole mass of breeders I can email. I'd say pretty much 90% of all breeders I've contacted thus far either want their dogs to stay local(or stateside), or won't consider us due to age/military. Frustrating.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Stick with the other breeds on your list. If you don't want a conformation bred dog, Mals are not for you.

Conformation bred dogs don't always come with off switches either.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

Where is this off switch you all speak of?
I am unable to locate it on my puppy and he is currently zooming around the house with one of my socks.

Can anyone draw me up a chart? map? trouble shooting? FAQ?