Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Ended my Christmas in tears

Overall I had a great Christmas this year. One of the biggest things I asked for was a weight scale.

I asked for a weight scale because I know I've gained more weight lately. I seriously think I have PCOS and as active as I am I've been gaining instead of losing or at the very least staying the same.

I made the mistake of trying out the scale when I got home. I've never been over 190, but have been consistently between 160-175 the past few years. I stepped on the scale and it read 214. I lost it and thank goodness Josh was pretty comforting about it since he knows I've been miserable about my weight.

So my goal this upcoming year is to lose as much of that weight as I can. I want to try for a kid in a year or so and I want to be healthy so when/if I eventually get pregnant I can have higher chances of a healthy pregnancy. Not to mention diabetes runs in my family so the last thing I need is to be overweight.
I talked to my step mom tonight and I'm going to set up an appointment. I want to be checked for PCOS or anything else that can cause issues with weight gain etc and I want to be tested for diabetes since I've gained so much in a short time. I also want to talk to the dr about my weight in general and figure out the best plan to combat this issue.

I do have a treadmill and my feet cramp up bad in the arch area everytime I use it. I got these arch pads so I want to try it with those on to see if it helps. I also need to figure out the best plan for me as far as food goes. I know I'm contemplating going back to doing gluten free with my husband for starters.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm so sorry. Have you tried VFFs for the feet issues? Mine save my feet and totally encourage activity.

Blah weight issues suck...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm so sorry. Have you tried VFFs for the feet issues? Mine save my feet and totally encourage activity.

Blah weight issues suck...
No but I've really been wanting to. There just seem to be so many options and I don't know how to go about finding the right fit since I've been told they fit differently than regular shoes.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Hugs I have been where you are and am still somewhat there. Can you talk to your doc?

Knowing the strength you have girl you can work through this and be a happy healthy you.

I have pcos and associated weight gain have lost most of it with still a little to go.

If you need anything give me a shout.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Definitely try them on at a store, try an REI or something and go give them a shot. I have a pair of KOS and Komodosport, they solved so many of my feet and body discomfort issues when dealing with exercise.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Top Dog

PCOS sucks. :/

Try not to let it get you down. I have been depressed about my weight and the difficulties of having a child lately. Along with all of the other problems PCOS spawns. I'm also going to a doctor about it (next year). I wish you luck and strength in dealing with this. Please let us know how things go with your doctor. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. : (
Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm All Ears

Lots of hug and vibes and know you are definitely not alone. I haven't stayed right on top of my weight lately and it shows. It is amazing how quick it comes on with PCOS and how slow it comes off.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry (hugs) I think we can do it together! I need to lose weight too and lately it's been getting to me. I pretty much pigged out this holiday season

Lets make an effort to do more hikes with the dogs too!

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

I'm in more or less the same boat. Gained weight no matter that my job is seriously physically taxing. My Dr is concerned about it. We also want to try for a kid in another year or so and I have the same concerns...my goal is to run a 1/2 marathon (or two), this year and to be consistently active. I want to buy a bike for days I don't feel like running. We also both just signed up for gym memberships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Definitely try them on at a store, try an REI or something and go give them a shot. I have a pair of KOS and Komodosport, they solved so many of my feet and body discomfort issues when dealing with exercise.
I'm going to second this. My VFFs changed my outlook on running for exercise, it's so much more fun and easier to stick to when there is no pain. I really love my Bikilas but do not like the fit on the three other pairs of VFFs I have ordered. I think I need to size up. I also bought Vivobarefoot trail runners and they are also super comfortable, waterproof, and minimalist. I have flat feet, bunions, terrible joints, and often also get shin splints (I was a runner all my life until the last 5 years or so). The minimalist shoes have done WONDERS for me. My fiance is a serious distance runner and swears by Hoka shoes for lack of pain, they are also hideously ugly but they seem to be helping him a lot.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

(((((HUGS)))))
First, I think cutting gluten will definitely help. If you want to make further diet changes I have more suggestions for you, but they can be pretty major... let me know if you want more ideas.
If you have a running store nearby, try going there and see if they can fit you in better shoes. A good store will have you either run on a treadmill or just up and down the length of the store and they will examine your gait, foot strike, all that stuff so they can put you in a good pair of shoes specifically for how you run. The right shoes can make a world or difference.
Also, I would recommend getting some weights and/or resistance bands. I lost weight running but I didn't run to lose weight; it was a by-product of an activity I enjoyed. Steady state cardio isn't going to be as effective as doing some weight training. Not that it won't work, but I would advise doing both. Weight/resistance training will make you a better runner too!

You're fighting a battle a lot of people do not with PCOS mixed in with everything and making stuff quite complicated. But it's a battle you CAN win. (((((HUGS)))))

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog