Photo Critique Thread *For ALL Photos*

Red Chrome

This thread is a critique thread for all photos, no matter what setting they were shot in. Please list what setting you shot them in and lens type. I will start with a few of my own pictures...

Red...Can't remember the setting and a 18-55 kit lens.

My little Sister...Creative Auto and a 55-250 IS lens.

Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens.

A friend's family. Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens.

LoLa Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens.

.Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens

Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens

Sam the Rottweiler Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens

Judge Creative Auto and 55-250 IS lens.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Like others have said, FB destroys photo quality. I'd suggest Flickr.

I didn't pay much attention to the other photos, but this one caught my eye. There is a green sign in the background. Eyes will be drawn to this detail and attention will be taken away from the focus of the picture - the people. Watch your backgrounds. It's a hard thing to learn, and it took a careful eye to point this out in my pictures over a time period for me to start picking up on it by myself. Suggestion: slightly change your angle so the little girl's head covers the green sign.

crazedACD

I'm paying $4/month to have smugmug host my photos. I used flickr but found it difficult to post to forums...multiple steps before I could copy the URL to the discussion boards. Smugmug has a gallery style layout, and I can zip through them pretty quickly.

I think the photos look good but if you worked in manual, you could really fine tune them.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I love Flickr to host. I thought it was a pain before but I've gotten used to it and it takes me no time at all to post to the forum or my blog.

crazedACD

I love Flickr to host. I thought it was a pain before but I've gotten used to it and it takes me no time at all to post to the forum or my blog.
Do you use the free or the paid? I see the paid says it allows access to the original URL. I just hate the linking back.

Smugmug is set up like this..

And you can right click on the big image, copy the URL, and post.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Do you use the free or the paid? I see the paid says it allows access to the original URL. I just hate the linking back.
I have pro, I did free for a while but you can only have so many photos with free and I participate in groups and host many photos on there.

This is what I use to copy my photos to forums:

Flickrscreenshot by mandypug, on Flickr

Is there any tips to figure out whether I am using the right ISO/lighting while I'm taking the pics? I always end up taking too dark pictures because the photos appear lighter on the camera screen.

1/640 f/2.7 ISO 80

12/29/12 by Crystalgsd, on Flickr
edited this to black and white and added a tad bit of saturation.

1/640 f/2.7 ISO 80

No editing except for text and cropping.

1/640 f/2.7 ISO 80

Edited the saturation of the berries, I made them redder.

You'll get some serious looks here, and if you've been really naughty, maybe Andrew will cruise by ;)
It's funny how naughty, below the belt and my name get tossed around together. :D

I'll have a thorough once-over a bit later tonight, but for CrystalGSD, when there's a lot of snow or sand in the photo - even in the background - try giving +1 or 2 to the exposure compensation. Play around with it. Taking two or three shots varying exposure is free and takes very little time. :)

Lastly, for Red Chrome, regarding what Lizmo said about the green sign; changing where you're standing before the image helps. In this case though, some selective desaturation in the yellow channel in that specific area will also eliminate the distraction. Your depth of field is perfect here.

jenv101

Bite Club
Is there any tips to figure out whether I am using the right ISO/lighting while I'm taking the pics? I always end up taking too dark pictures because the photos appear lighter on the camera screen.
Depending on the type of camera you have, you might need to adjust your screen brightness? Some screens have settings for this and you can lower it a bit which might help you.

Red Chrome,

The long and short of it is you have a real knack for shooting both people and pets.

Take control of the camera a bit more by slipping into aperture priority and experiment with your depth of field. Also be wary of backgrounds that are especially bright. Play with the angle you frame the image at so overcast skies or really bright skies don't create a washed out background. If angle isn't an option for framing, your on-board flash can help out if needed.

Also, in some of the shots of the family, there's some darker shadows around the eyes. If you could selectively reduce the contrast or lighten the shadows, that would be the only improvement I could really recommend.

Lastly, your results are beautiful.

As for Mandy, I would say get down closer to eye-level, but otherwise a brilliant shot.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Any critique for these would be good! I tried to get my sister to let me take some pictures for practice, but my mom got me to take one of her before she went out to a movie so it'll suffice. I also have one of Cali from this afternoon. Both had to be resized on Paint (since I have no clue how to operate the crop/resize in RawTherapee) in order for me to upload them onto Flickr so the quality is a little less than the originals.

f/5.0 1/200s ISO3200 38mm

f/5.6 1/200s ISO3200 55mm

f/5.6 1/200s ISO3200 55mm

Shot them in RAW and then did a bit of editing in RawTherapee, this was my first batch of pictures shot in manual as well.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
You shouldn't need to resize photos before uploading to Flickr. Then to post them use the share button on the photos, select BB Code and in the drop down select medium 640 (that's what I use anyways)

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I usually just leave them as well, but the original copies of these pictures were massive and Flickr wouldn't even let me upload six of them. I think the actual dimensions were roughly 4500x3500, but making them smaller made it much easier (and quicker) to upload.

Members online