Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Christmas eve is my favorite night of the year. We go to my inlaws house and eat and drink and watch It's a Wonderful Life. It's a fantastic tradition and means so much to me as my family really has none.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

This year is going to be completely different from all the others.

It's the first year the BF and I have been physically together.
It's the first Christmas since my Nanny passed away.
It's the first time I've taken a vacation during the winter break.

Today we spent the day with my dad and Papa. Mostly eating, since we exchanged some presents earlier in the week. Tomorrow we have to drop Gwen off at the boarding place before 3 and then we head to my mom's. I'll walk my brothers and everyone else up at 6 am to open presents We open presents and be merry and have fun and then BF and I leave Christmas afternoon. We drive two hours to the airport, crash at our hotel and then board a flight for Milwaukee at 6:40 the next morning. We'll return to Arkansas on the 2nd and pick up Gwen on the 3rd. Such a busy holiday season. I'm glad for the chaos though. It keeps my mind off my Nanny.

I love Christmas. Family and food and presents. Awesomeness. I just wish it would snow. It was in the 60's again today. : ( It's supposed to snow Tuesday, though.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Our Christmas Eve is a bit full (as usual), but a little fuller this year. With my mom in the rehab facility (physical - she's not a druggie ), we're going to try to go see her in the morning. Then we will finish up some food prep for Christmas Day (I'm making a baked ziti so I need to cook my sauce up the day before). We'll light our bayberry candle around 4 or so (sundown-ish) and then we have Christmas Eve services at church at 6:30. Since my daughter and I are both in the choir, we have to be there by 6, so we're in the car about 5:15/5:30.

After services, we'll come home, chill a bit, wrap presents, get the kids off to bed and finish up their wrapping while watching TBS's 24 hours of A Christmas Story.

Christmas Day we'll be heading to my brother's for an early dinner/late lunch (like 2:30 or so).

We're going to go spend the rest of the week with my in-laws at their place in Delaware, so we'll probably leave Thursday. However, my daughter and I will be coming back Friday night because we had a death in our church family and we are both singing at the funeral, plus I'm doing a life streaming feed for it as we are expecting too many people to fit into the sanctuary. We'll head back down south again Saturday after the funeral.

I may get the relax a bit eventually

On a side note, I'm finally starting to feel "Christmasy". We have the tree and our great room decorated up and my youngest is currently placing the plasticville houses all around my train layout under the tree. She's measuring out how far apart the houses go and making sure the playground goes near the church and the cows go near the barn. She's not a perfectionist on anything, but she's really taking this seriously.

Christmas music from the cable Music Choice stations is piping through my surround system and we're just relaxing and decorating now.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Everything fell apart
I mean, I have Merlin of course.. but other than that, I will be spending christmas eve and christmas alone
Sorry to hear that Fran

You'd be welcome to join us for festivities, of course. We're not exactly close, though.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Everything fell apart
I mean, I have Merlin of course.. but other than that, I will be spending christmas eve and christmas alone
will you skype or face time at least with family? It's hard when plans fall apart! I bet Merlin will entertain you!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
The Littlest Hound

At first I was bummed out cause we couldn't afford to fly to PA to be with our families, then I was bummed cause we don't have a dogsitter so we can't drive up to my aunt's house in Vegas, and now I'm actually really looking forward to all of us (me, Chris & the 4 dogs) enjoying our first Christmas REALLY all together, in our first house. <3

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Felurian

That's so sweet to hear, Katie. I'm beyond happy for you and how things worked out <3

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Oh Fran, (((HUGS))). You'd be welcome to stay with us if we were still in Rhode Island

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

erWell today (christmas Eve) I will be spending the day on Mount fernie Skiing with Tyler, my parents and my brother. Then in the evening we will be going over to our friends Sar and Alan and having a Christmas Eve Sea food dinner.

Then on Christmas day after a big breakfast and un-wrapping presents the boys probably will go back to Fernie and Ski, while mom and I cook the Turkey and make a salad and then Sar and Alan will be coming to my place to have turkey dinner and exchange presents.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Show Dog

Christmas Eve is considered our Christmas too. My background is Italian, so we do the big seafood feast still.