Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Oooh, just realized I can move that 'spot' around (keep in mind using a Sony DSLR here). Interesting...will have to mess around with more settings.

I just messed around, got some shots of my fish (challenging as well, heh). Like I said I can't set the fstop lower than between 4-5.6, even on manual. Is that due to the lens? I only have an 18-55 and a 55-200. Any recommendations?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
The versatility from portraits to action to indoor to outdoor is great, as is how small and light it is. Huge plus when carting it around.
Definitely!! A more expensive option is the 50mm 1.4 or a 35mm.

These were 50mm of my nephew

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Behavior Nerd

crazed, yes, each lens has it's limit on f stop - that's likely why you can't go further down.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Oooh, just realized I can move that 'spot' around (keep in mind using a Sony DSLR here). Interesting...will have to mess around with more settings.

I just messed around, got some shots of my fish (challenging as well, heh). Like I said I can't set the fstop lower than between 4-5.6, even on manual. Is that due to the lens? I only have an 18-55 and a 55-200. Any recommendations?
Yup, you can only go as low as your lens will allow. For example my 24-70mm f/2.8 can go to f/2.8 but my 50mm f/1.8 can go down to f/1.8. A standard 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6 can only go down to f/4.5 or f/5.6 depending on the zoom.

Again, the 50mm 1.8 is only 92 dollars on B&H.com right now so that's a great option to buy and tinker with before you start laying down some serious cash.

Your glass will always be the most expensive part of photography.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post

Yes

For example the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens only goes from f/3.5 at 18mm and f/5.6 at 55mm. Meaning, the highest aperture setting (lowest f stop number) you can go at 18mm is 3.5, and as you zoom in the aperture decreases/the f stop number gets higher. At 55mm on the 18-55mm, you can only go f/5.6 and up in f stop number.

With the 55-200mm, I have the Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6, meaning at 55mm the lowest f stop number is 4.0 and if I zoom all the way to 200mm the lowest f stop number I can use is 5.6

...I think

This is why I love lenses with a fixed aperture and covet a zoom lens with a fixed aperture (such as Adrienne's 24-70mm f/2.8). Zoom all you can with the lens and the aperture won't have to change!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Twin 2

Since we're already all over the board I have a question.

After the new year I'm going to start saving up and looking around for a nicer zoom lens of some sort. I want it under 1000 dollars but one that I'm going to be happy. Any ideas? I don't mind older or used as long as they are still quality.

You all see what I take pictures of Dogs running around like crazy. I don't want to have to use a tripod but I would like something that I don't have to be right up close to the dogs like I do with my 50.

Ideas?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
& the Muttly Crew

You folks are not helping with my 50mm want at all. Just sayin.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Top Dog

Thaaaank you...makes a lot of sense. I will have to look into it when I'm not bleeding money so much.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Okay, 1) everyone uses their 50mm f/1.8 better than I do and I am now inspired even more to take better photos with mine.

2) this is really worth repeating -

Quote:
It can be a pain because I have to anticipate a lot of the action that will happen so that I can be in the correct spot because of the lack of zoom. And that really does get annoying sometimes and also puts me dead center in the danger zone For pictures of them in the water I am in the water with my camera.
The one time someone else (as in, someone other than me) threw the ball for my dog, I was so excited because I actually got to take pictures of Trent playing catch. THAT turned out to mean "hey, I'll stand here across the field while you throw the ball at me, because then Trent will be close enough and facing the right direction for pictures". Guess how fun that was?

Okay, it was fun. But still, a lot of ducking and screaming was involved.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Since we're already all over the board I have a question.

After the new year I'm going to start saving up and looking around for a nicer zoom lens of some sort. I want it under 1000 dollars but one that I'm going to be happy. Any ideas? I don't mind older or used as long as they are still quality.

You all see what I take pictures of Dogs running around like crazy. I don't want to have to use a tripod but I would like something that I don't have to be right up close to the dogs like I do with my 50.

Ideas?
I think you can find a 70-200mm from sigma for under 1,000.

What I recommend doing though is renting a couple lens and testing them out before you decide. There are a couple great services out there who're great and reliable to work with.