Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM
vandog vandog is offline
Merlie Girlie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Well and if I'm not mistaken, Garrett hasn't gotten another dog from them and has criticized Buzz's structure quite a bit. She's gotten her more recent dogs from Bo-Tyne I think?

Another Ontario breeder is Rival BCs. The only dogs I've met from them are Linda Mecklenburg's but they seem rational as well as driven and biddable. Small sample and with an exceptional trainer, though. I don't know anything about their breeding practices.
You are correct. I have no met any Cedar in person, but they were not spoken highly of by my friends who have met a few examples. Plus, the red to only red thing kind of creeps me out.

Rival is awesome. She does breed frequently but never heard any complaints about her dogs being undersocialized, unhealthy, ect. The dogs I met were beautiful to look at but also great personality
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandog View Post
You are correct. I have no met any Cedar in person, but they were not spoken highly of by my friends who have met a few examples. Plus, the red to only red thing kind of creeps me out.
Do you know what the problems were with the dogs? I am also going to be looking at getting a BC within a few years probably. I just looked at Cedar's site today and loooove the look of the dogs (I know, I know).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 PM
vandog vandog is offline
Merlie Girlie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Do you know what the problems were with the dogs? I am also going to be looking at getting a BC within a few years probably. I just looked at Cedar's site today and loooove the look of the dogs (I know, I know).
The dogs they use are undeniably gorgeous. I love the Eyewitness dog that they imported a few years back. I also like Kate - I actually looked at that very litter she was born in.

Most just seemed disappointed in their personality. I think when Susan G announced that she had Buzz, a few people bought from her that otherwise would not have, and that in turn created a "craze". Who knows. I could ask for more information if you'd like. I do know they were all red, and all very pretty with lots of coat.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandog View Post
I could ask for more information if you'd like. I do know they were all red, and all very pretty with lots of coat.
If you don't mind, that would be great! I'm just starting to look into a few breeders, and the more info the better!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 AM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Well and if I'm not mistaken, Garrett hasn't gotten another dog from them and has criticized Buzz's structure quite a bit. She's gotten her more recent dogs from Bo-Tyne I think?

Another Ontario breeder is Rival BCs. The only dogs I've met from them are Linda Mecklenburg's but they seem rational as well as driven and biddable. Small sample and with an exceptional trainer, though. I don't know anything about their breeding practices.
I have met a Rival boy. From what I have seen he is awesome - drivey but not crazy, focused, receptive... Mind you though, he is my agility trainer's dog and she is a fabulous trainer and handler so I am sure that helps

His littermate went to Power Tripp and will be bred in the near future (the litter was mentioned in this thread, Shayde is the bitch). It's a shame that the timing is off for me because if it was a good time that would be a litter I would be very keen on.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Well and if I'm not mistaken, Garrett hasn't gotten another dog from them and has criticized Buzz's structure quite a bit. She's gotten her more recent dogs from Bo-Tyne I think?
Looking at their website it seems they have some pretty accomplished dogs, so some people must like them well enough. SG also said in her book that Buzz is a great house dog, so the dogs apparently have an off switch. I wonder if his level of over arousal is typical of the dogs from that breeder or not? I believe Buzz was out of a Hob Nob dog but I could be mistaken. SG bred her latest puppy and being red was one of her breeding criteria too.


I have seen several Powertripp dogs, including one of the BC x Beardie mixes (who looked and acted just like a BC, never would have guessed she was a mix LOL) and they seem like nice "Sporter Collies". I've known some working bred BCs who did awesome in sports too, so that certainly is a possibility. However, there are good reasons people opt to go to sport breeders too. Certainly there have been washouts from both types of breeders too. And going to a working breeder over a sport breeder isn't going to guarantee you'll get a dog who's less easily aroused during agility. I think most of the working bred dogs have great off switches but I think a lot of the sport bred dogs do as well. As someone else said, the issue is often not with drive but how easily overstimulated the dog gets. It also somewhat depends on the trainer and training I think. Not everyone is suited to working with easily overstimulated dogs and they can be a challenge even to the best trainers.
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Sekah's Avatar
Sekah Sekah is online now
The Monster.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,108
Default

I came across a 18 month old Rival BC today and I totally fell in love. They're definitely going to be a kennel to keep track of. I also really liked what I was told that the breeder wouldn't waste either of ourttime if she felt we weren't suited for each other. I really want the breeder to take charge of the situation.
__________________

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I have seen several Powertripp dogs, including one of the BC x Beardie mixes (who looked and acted just like a BC, never would have guessed she was a mix LOL) and they seem like nice "Sporter Collies".
I've met one too who looked mostly beardie but the size of a smaller BC and holy crap intense dog. Fast like stink and a bit insane. Though the handler knew how to handle her and the dog had amazing running contacts.
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I've met one too who looked mostly beardie but the size of a smaller BC and holy crap intense dog. Fast like stink and a bit insane. Though the handler knew how to handle her and the dog had amazing running contacts.
Yeah it seems the BC x Beardie combo produces both what I, having a PyrShep would call smooth faced and rough faced dogs.

This is the one i was in class with: http://www.powertripp.org/brewner.cfm

And the litter she came from, there was one other non-shaggy dog: http://www.powertripp.org/jasminextaboo.cfm

This dog was plenty intense and driven for sure. She's mostly a flyball dog and since haven't been in class with her for a long time, so don't know how she's doing in agility these days.

ETA...looking at the litters, it appears that the BC x Beardie cross produced only shaggy dogs. The second litter was the result of breeding a Bc x Beardie to a BC, so they are 75% BC. That explains why there's some that look just like BCs
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Yeah it seems the BC x Beardie combo produces both what I, having a PyrShep would call smooth faced and rough faced dogs.

This is the one i was in class with: http://www.powertripp.org/brewner.cfm

And the litter she came from, there was one other non-shaggy dog: http://www.powertripp.org/jasminextaboo.cfm

This dog was plenty intense and driven for sure. She's mostly a flyball dog and since haven't been in class with her for a long time, so don't know how she's doing in agility these days.

ETA...looking at the litters, it appears that the BC x Beardie cross produced only shaggy dogs. The second litter was the result of breeding a Bc x Beardie to a BC, so they are 75% BC. That explains why there's some that look just like BCs
Fancy that! The one I met is from that litter too.

http://www.powertripp.org/whatamess.cfm

Cool dog. Not my type but one to watch for sure. Will probably be seeing him at nationals.
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site