Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
- Driven, but with medium to high thresholds.

- Biddable and eager to learn/carry out a task.

- Enough handler softness for a correction to be recognized and accepted, but not so much that it would shut the dog down.

- "Honest", to quote other Chazzers. A trait I never thought about before but now agree is incredibly important to me.

- Strong nerves.

- Serious. I am okay with a dog that possesses some sense of humor, but perpetual "hai I'm in your faaaace~~" happiness is overwhelming for me. Same rule applies to the humans around me

- "Thinking" dog.

- Able to accept new people and environments.

- Intuitive but able to settle/back off if acting on that intuition. I do not want a dog that is too sharp.

- Confident.

- Self-preservation instincts. I am okay with a dog that is reasonably cautious. No, I do not want a dog that will fling himself over a cliff for a ball. I have terrible aim and constantly throw balls into blackberry bushes, and I can't afford to have a dog that would dive into the thorny bushes.

- Handler/one person oriented, but still independent as an individual. Gravitates without clinging.

- Trusting people in dangerous situations. This is one of Trent's traits that I really appreciate. If he is injured or his paw is snagged on something or he's in a potentially dangerous situation, he will trust me, or any person, to resolve the situation or at least help him.

- Aloof with strangers and dogs.

- Cuddly, without a constant need/desire to invade space. Trent is neither
Wish you could meet Bimmer. I think you'd really love him. That description fits him beautifully.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Club Terrible - President

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
ahhhh but they're so much more complicated. lol

Tons of drive is never enough. What else do you seek!?
They are, but it's more fun!

Hrm. I love lots of energy, as well as tons of drive. I want a dog that's going to throw balls or toys at me incessantly throughout the day. I want a dog who is a thinker, and difficult to convince that you're worth listening to. I love dogs who constantly want to go somewhere and do something new. Dogs with an attitude make me ridiculously happy.

Basically, I want more Embyrs.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
- Driven, but with medium to high thresholds.

- Biddable and eager to learn/carry out a task.

- Enough handler softness for a correction to be recognized and accepted, but not so much that it would shut the dog down.

- "Honest", to quote other Chazzers. A trait I never thought about before but now agree is incredibly important to me.

- Strong nerves.

- Serious. I am okay with a dog that possesses some sense of humor, but perpetual "hai I'm in your faaaace~~" happiness is overwhelming for me. Same rule applies to the humans around me

- "Thinking" dog.

- Able to accept new people and environments.

- Intuitive but able to settle/back off if acting on that intuition. I do not want a dog that is too sharp.

- Confident.

- Self-preservation instincts. I am okay with a dog that is reasonably cautious. No, I do not want a dog that will fling himself over a cliff for a ball. I have terrible aim and constantly throw balls into blackberry bushes, and I can't afford to have a dog that would dive into the thorny bushes.

- Handler/one person oriented, but still independent as an individual. Gravitates without clinging.

- Trusting people in dangerous situations. This is one of Trent's traits that I really appreciate. If he is injured or his paw is snagged on something or he's in a potentially dangerous situation, he will trust me, or any person, to resolve the situation or at least help him.

- Aloof with strangers and dogs.

- Cuddly, without a constant need/desire to invade space. Trent is neither

You...liked German Shepherds at one point?

Trent's aware and respectful of space and hasn't ever knocked me around, but "kindness", "gentleness", "polite", and "quiet temperament" are not words I'd use to describe him LOL

He's good and boring and follows the rules but he can also be inconsiderate, even if it's unintentional. The majority of his "good" (or more accurately, "satisfactory") behavior was learned rather than inherent... learned quickly and stuck to well, whether it was conditioned, trained, self taught, out of observation, etc., but just not quite innate. Not to say he's a terrible dog at the core (at least not today while he's been behaving ) but in many ways his saving grace seems to be his eagerness to please and natural inclination to be my good dog, as opposed to the kindly dispositioned, considerate dog I imagine many English Shepherds tend to be - all at the risk of anthropomorphizing.

And as far as disposition goes, I am okay either way.
I still love GSDs! And I still love Trent - being your good dog is admirable and totally enough for me! It's the dogs like Viszlas and some labs I have met who are like "I have zoomies so I'm going to run right into your knees! And whip you with my tail! And leap at your face and scratch you!". I like a more gentle, hands off dog.

Quinn was incredibly hands off as a puppy. She didn't even like it when I touched her trying to get her excited or revved up. Hates rough housing. Now we can play chase a little bit and she'll actually jump beside me if she's really excited, and loves it when I push her down again. It's still like she doesn't know how to be excited and touch people, so the big huge rear-on-her-hind-legs beside me is her default. I actually have a picture of it on my flickr but I have my out of shape bikini butt in it so I'm not posting it LOL.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 12-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Wish you could meet Bimmer. I think you'd really love him. That description fits him beautifully.
That's my perfect dog <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I still love GSDs! And I still love Trent - being your good dog is admirable and totally enough for me! It's the dogs like Viszlas and some labs I have met who are like "I have zoomies so I'm going to run right into your knees! And whip you with my tail! And leap at your face and scratch you!". I like a more gentle, hands off dog.

Quinn was incredibly hands off as a puppy. She didn't even like it when I touched her trying to get her excited or revved up. Hates rough housing. Now we can play chase a little bit and she'll actually jump beside me if she's really excited, and loves it when I push her down again. It's still like she doesn't know how to be excited and touch people, so the big huge rear-on-her-hind-legs beside me is her default. I actually have a picture of it on my flickr but I have my out of shape bikini butt in it so I'm not posting it LOL.
LOL Okay then. Come to Oregon sometime and you can meet him, and we'll both camp out in Lake Oswego with the Shepherds' Way dogs Trent is one of those dogs that go at you full throttle but somehow never directly, so he ends up 5 - 10 feet to your left or right.

Geez, Quinn just sounds like the cutest little girl ever. I need a Quinn.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
*Now with Snark*

Temperament -

Not shy but not so full of themselves they can't be biddable.
I want prey drive but not so much that they are a danger to themselves.
I want food drive but not so much that food is a distraction.
I want a thinking dog - one who sees a goal and works out how to get there.
I want a dog who can recover from pressure.
I am not looking for a dog with a ton of fight drive but later I might want a different dog with a fair amount of fight in them
Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

I like having different dogs. I really love wild, crazy dogs with lots of drive and "oomph". But I also want at least one easy dog. The dog you can take anywhere, into any setting and they won't cause problems. Good with people, dogs, strange environments, etc. Also easy in the house, good with other household pets. But I still want the drive and craziness in good dogs too

Beyond that more specifically I like:

- Strong interest in tugging. This is huge to me, I've picked dogs based on this lol

- Food drive. Seems easy enough but trying to train a dog who doesn't have it can be difficult.

- Fun loving. I like dogs who have a fun, silly, happy side. Serious dogs don't bother me as long as they can still have fun.

- Prey drive. I just love dogs who love to chase

- Adventurous, curious. Dogs who like to explore and interact with the environment. Savvy takes this to the extreme...and I love it!

- Dogs who love to run and leap and climb and balance just for the fun of it.

- Biddable. I don't want to have to work harder than the dog for training

- Handler sensitive...within reason anyway. I don't want an overly soft dog who crumbles and gives up if they think they did something wrong. But I want a dog who wants to work with me, cares about being right and isn't oblivious about our interactions.

- Protective...also within reason. I don't mind and even like dogs to be guardy at home and in the car but I want them to be sensible enough to be safe with guests and strangers. If they can't be level headed, I'd rather they not be guardy. Certainly this is a trait that is more complicated and with the breeds I like, I won't always get the ideal in this area.

Last edited by Aleron; 12-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I like having different dogs. I really love wild, crazy dogs with lots of drive and "oomph". But I also want at least one easy dog. The dog you can take anywhere, into any setting and they won't cause problems. Good with people, dogs, strange environments, etc. Also easy in the house, good with other household pets. But I still want the drive and craziness in good dogs too

Beyond that more specifically I like:

- Strong interest in tugging. This is huge to me, I've picked dogs based on this lol

- Food drive. Seems easy enough but trying to train a dog who doesn't have it can be difficult.

- Fun loving. I like dogs who have a fun, silly, happy side. Serious dogs don't bother me as long as they can still have fun.

- Prey drive. I just love dogs who love to chase

- Adventurous, curious. Dogs who like to explore and interact with the environment. Savvy takes this to the extreme...and I love it!

- Dogs who love to run and leap and climb and balance just for the fun of it.

- Biddable. I don't want to have to work harder than the dog for training

- Handler sensitive...within reason anyway. I don't want an overly soft dog who crumbles and gives up if they think they did something wrong. But I want a dog who wants to work with me, cares about being right and isn't oblivious about our interactions.

- Protective...also within reason. I don't mind and even like dogs to be guardy at home and in the car but I want them to be sensible enough to be safe with guests and strangers. If they can't be level headed, I'd rather they not be guardy. Certainly this is a trait that is more complicated and with the breeds I like, I won't always get the ideal in this area.
You have good taste in dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

- Happy. Smiley, loves a good game, seems to think life is full of fun

- Silly. Likes to wiggle and dance around the living room with me

- Fun. Likes to go out and play

- Sense of humor.. I love a dog that is quirky in a funny way and doesn't take everything too seriously

- Likes to play fetch. It's my favorite doggy game

- Activity level that involves short bursts of activity (game, walks, fetch, parks, etc..) but with an otherwise calm easygoing demeanor and ability to settle down. Good off switch.
I am an active person in many ways.. I love to run, I like to go to the park, play fetch/soccer etc.. but I am the kind of person that other than these periods of high activity a few times a day... is almost entirely immobile lol

- Likes to learn, thinks the training game is fun, EAGER TO PLEASE. I think trying to enthuse dogs into wanting to please you is irritating.

- Eager to please in a sense of "No..means no" and "do this..means do this"..I CANNOT STAND stubborn brattiness in dogs. The terrier-like stubborn streak of independence would seriously be a deal breaker for me. It drives me NUTS.

- Handler oriented. Likes to be around me. I like velcro dogs in a sense of not being on top of me/touching me at all times.. but wanting to be AROUND.

- Likes dogs, likes other people, just generally pleasant in most environments.

- Eager. I like a dog that can get hyped about a walk or a game just because lol

- Independent thinker in the sense of.. I dunno. It's hard to describe. I walk dogs that spend the whole time staring at me/wanting to involve me in a game.. and I have dogs that I walk that are happy to spend some moments thinking and enjoying their walk on their own with me just holding the leash. I like the latter
Merlin is of the former lol
Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

I'd really, really like to get more into sports...this list is for my next sporty dog. And yes, Romeo really hits most of these marks...I need a Romeo with good eyes.

-Handler oriented. Romeo is very much so and I LOVE it...we step outside together, he's looking at me for something to do or getting his ball. If I step outside with the other dogs, they meander and sniff around.
-High toy drive but lower prey drive. Romeo <3's his toys and fetching, he pays no attention to squirrels, my pet birds, etc.
-Low DA, since I like to foster and have multiple dog households.
-Biddable
-Outgoing to aloof but trustworthy with strangers. I don't really care about protection.
-I like 'quick' 'snappy' 'excited' focus. "We're doing clicker work?! HOORAY Let's do it!".
-Prefer dogs that can be trusted to be out of a crate by 1-2 years old
-As above..I like to get my dogs to (willingly) climb on boulders, fallen trees, try to get the toy out of the tree, that leaps and jumps and is athletic.

So basically..a stable temperament dog with a good work ethic . I don't think I would hang onto an unstable dog ever again.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You have good taste in dogs.
LOL I like to think so! Sonetimes I run across people who are like o_O when I tell them what kind of dogs I have. Crazy Corgi, two flavors of Belgian and a Pyrshep!