Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Puppy Dog

lol!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 AM
Top Dog

A friend has one. Before she got the dog we decide to do some research on the breed. Bull terriers have a bulldog ancestry meaning they were once breed to be fighters. At one time, this breed was used in dog fighting. Dog fighting was banned and this breed has evolved into wonderful home companions. My friend's dog is sweet and playful though it has the tendency to manifest stubbornness and independence at times.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Puppy Dog

From what I have read on a few sites is that Bull Terriers are affectionate and love to snuggle and cuddle which is a good thing I also like the fact they love to talk and make funny noises. On the downside is that they can be destructive if not given a lot of physical exercise and mental stimulation. Prone to skin allergies and few other health problems. White bull terriers seem to have a lot of skin allergies and can sun burn easily because of their pink skin. If it were me I would probably own a fawn, tricolor or brindle bull terrier since I am not a big on white dogs with pink skin because of the skin issues.

Last edited by george656; 12-19-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Game lines existed in parts of the old British empire into the 1970s. Occasional exceptional individuals are still matched today. The last gamebred EBT match dog that i know of was in the late 70s. some excellent battle crosses were made off him that matched into the 1980s. They are still very much match dogs at heart. DA, SSA, & high prey drive are still VERY common.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Squishy face

Be very selective where you get a bull terrier. I have known very sweet BT (the BT rescue brings out their dogs to almost every dog event in NoVA), but I have also known some unsound BT. I find BT to be just, weird. They are prone to OCD behaviors (spinning, chewing, licking, humping are a few). BT always just seem like they are buzzing under the surface.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

I love them but will probably never have one lol. DA does tend to be high and they can be hard to read. Have reactions different from most other dogs and are fairly hair trigger. BUT, they are also loveable snuggable clowns that will keep you laughing. A BIG BIG dog in a pretty small (but very sturdy and strong) body.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

Bull Terriers are generally clownish, nice dogs, though they do have the tendency towards OCD behaviors as mentioned. They can be dog aggressive, as can all the bull-and-terrier breeds. They are not biddable, far less so than the other bull-and-terriers, they are a challenge to train and tend to do what they want. They are also not very athletic, though they can be conditioned to being muscular, as mentioned, they aren't flexible. They tend to run around 70 pounds, so I wouldn't really call them "little" . In agility, they tend to be methodical and frequently need to jump at the preferred heights, because their structure makes jumping hard for them.

There are also Miniature Bull Terriers, which are a more medium sized breed. Standard is 10-14" (though they can easily be bigger, ie; I know one who is 16 1/2", and an AKC Grand Champion), and the weight runs from low 20's to mid 30's. Otherwise, they are pretty much like the standard sized Bull Terriers, but the minis I know are actually better at agility. I think being smaller makes them less tank-like. This is a MiniBull named Zelda:

She weighs about 27 pounds, and is actually a pretty decent 16" jumping agility dog.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Puppy Dog

Their weight seems to vary a lot. Even though their average weigh is between 45 to 50 pounds. But I have seen a few on youtube that weigh around 60 pounds.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Top Dog

A friend of mine had one that sadly died of cancer when he was only 8. He was very good with pretty much all people or dogs, but cats he just loved. He would try to jam himself into the cat's "house", even though he was way too big just to be with them. He got attacked once by a Lab that was running loose and that was his only fight, and he came out on top. He was kind of stubborn, but not even close than my Lab/Doberman/Husky mix and about half as bad as my Pit/??? mix was.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Game lines existed in parts of the old British empire into the 1970s. Occasional exceptional individuals are still matched today. The last gamebred EBT match dog that i know of was in the late 70s. some excellent battle crosses were made off him that matched into the 1980s. They are still very much match dogs at heart. DA, SSA, & high prey drive are still VERY common.
There is still a kennel in Cali that has working BT bred for boar, coyote, ect as catch dogs. Along with Patterdale Terriers, Jagdterriers, Argentine Dogos, lurchers, and a Lacy.