Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
That was cute

My neurotic dog was not so neurotic for a change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9lKb...isOiDnxKFuIa5A

Ignore my stupid commentary. Just figure I should take some videos to keep track of what's going on and when.

Still looking over her shoulder all the time, but that's been a habit of hers for... forever. Since she was a puppy. So that doesn't bug me too much as long as I can refocus her attention.

So yeah, that focus/responsiveness has been missing for a very long time and it was nice to see it come back to her. At the end of the walk I was even able to drop her leash and run through some behaviors with perfect execution. When we were at this park a couple weeks ago.... I couldn't even get her to look at me or respond to her name.
That is awesome! Hooray for Juno!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 PM
such sights to show you

Juno is doing great!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Love this thread!! What great successes from everyone.

I bought a treadmill off of craigslist yesterday. Had the first training session on it yesterday for the girls and it went pretty much how I thought it would. Zinga was bouncing all over and thought it was the best thing ever and Zuma needed more convincing that it wasn't a blackhole that was going to swallow her up.

By the end of the session, both girls were more than happy walking at a slow pace on it! It was hilarious because they kept trying to cut into each other's turns. Downstays aren't nearly as much fun as walking on the treadmill!

The next part is weaning away from so many treats.. Zinga is pretty funny, she'll be walking, I'll give her a treat and she has to stop walking to chew it, so she nearly slides off of the back of the treadmill every time. Silly girly.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Gambit is apparently hitting social maturity again. He went through a very obvious personality change back in May, so I thought I was safe. Oh, no, coyboy has more tricks up his sleeve.

Suddenly, he has become, the MAN! He hikes his leg to the sky, kicks dirt up, humps Folly and doesn't take poop from anyone! I tell him to do something, and he usually does it, but he looks right at me and does this high pitched shrieky noise before he does. I believe a liberal translation might be "F you, Mommy."

All in all, he's a brat. But hopefully this new confidence holds.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia alerted a hide that was 4 feet off the ground today! That's the tallest so far and I've been worried about how she'd do with something so much higher than her head is. But she was fine and worked it very well.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Behavior Nerd

Aeri started bringing a toy back to me to play instead of hoarding it for herself to chew today - she's a very possessive dog and it was sooooo cool to see!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

We are borrowing a Manners Minder from Sara and an on-the-go pop up crate from Megan (apparently I am the cheap friend who never buys anything :/). Frodo isn't scared of the MM anymore, but he doesn't want to be enclosed with it

Tonight he spent his whole dinner in the crate with the setting on variable up to 7 seconds down stay mode. The only reason I knew he was done was that he popped his head out of the crate and barked at me. I'm pretty sure he way saying "Hey lady, put more foods in this!"

Then when I put it away in the corner he wandered by, saw it, and started whacking it and woofling at it for more food. Now it lives in the cupboard.

I can't wait to get my own MM, oh the possibilities for keeping Frodo busy/out of sight reinforcement while I work with puppy!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Argh Fred not really training but he started panting tonight during training! I remember Bodhi's first pant lol, I took a photo of it!

Haven't done much over Xmas, but he was fab tonight. Just went over stuff, worked on his retrieve. Turns out tugging is MUCH more fun than hot dog. Now if only we could transfer it outdoors... The weather has kept us inside so much, the outdoors is just soooooooo distracting! He is amazing at searching for things too, that big fat gundog nose. Be a great drugs dog! Will get some tripe defrosted for some tracking this weekend I think!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Forgot about this thread!! Both girls are jogging on the treadmill without a problem now. Obviously keeping it really short for Zinga because of the repetitive motion, but she loves it!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Resident fainting goat

Just a little update.
Merlin (through what I believe to be Sara and Lind's voodoo magic) does NOT do luring well.
He understood the rules of "no lookie/no cookie" and his basic leave it exercises at puppy class as... "it's not good to look at the food or follow it so the minute she is holding food I sit and look at her".. when I do entice him enough to follow it..it doesn't stick. He doesn't really know what his body is doing while he is sniffin food lol

I was getting quite frustrated honestly.. but I finally decided to try shaping and he is catching on SO quickly! I'm so proud of him!!
I totally free shaped his sit and down and while they are a bit sloppy, he GETS IT. He is offering them both on hand signal now and STAYING there until his release cue.
and best part? He loves the shaping game and loves the clicker now! It's only been 2 weeks or so with short sessions for mealtimes but he is really improving.

It was so frustrating at first. I thought he didn't understand.. especially with down which he had to learn 100% from scratch. It started with him just nodding his head down, kind of leaning down, moving his foot, and it all just clicked and he started testing and playing the "get the click game" and it was just so exciting! WHEN WE FINALLY GOT A DOWN I NEARLY CRIED! LOL and he was so excited to get the jackpot!

I mean, he has an interesting down for sure lol it starts as a sit and he slides his butt across the floor into a down but it's a down and he learned it all on his own!

Right now I can put him in a sit/down and jump around my apartment, say all kinds of things, turn my back.. and he stays! Wiggling his tail the whole time like it's the best game ever waiting for me to say "POP"

I think shaping is going to be our new game and it's exciting but scary.. but fun!
He thinks it's the best game ever and I like working this way with him.. yay for shaping!

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.