Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Oh I know we don't have to do them, I do genuinely believe its good to do a BN before a CD because its far less pressure and a great introduction to the ring. Also, I do genuinely believe a stepping stone between the CDX and UD would be nice as they are really very different and lack any real building blocks from previous classes.

I don't however see the drive to spend money to go between the BN & CD with a prenovice? What do you practice in there, that you don't in the BN, to prepare for the CD? Maybe I need to reread the PDF again.

On that note, I'd rather see more wildcards at discount prices, but that doesn't financially benefit the AKC.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't however see the drive to spend money to go between the BN & CD with a prenovice? What do you practice in there, that you don't in the BN, to prepare for the CD? Maybe I need to reread the PDF again...
I haven't read the class requirements yet, but I'm thinking a benefit would be more ring time. Once you earn the BN title, I don't think you can show in that class anymore (after the grace period). And, again, those older dogs who maybe can't physicaly earn an OTCH would have something to compete in. But, my gut is telling me the bottom line is money for the AKC.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Oh I know we don't have to do them, I do genuinely believe its good to do a BN before a CD because its far less pressure and a great introduction to the ring. Also, I do genuinely believe a stepping stone between the CDX and UD would be nice as they are really very different and lack any real building blocks from previous classes.

I don't however see the drive to spend money to go between the BN & CD with a prenovice? What do you practice in there, that you don't in the BN, to prepare for the CD? Maybe I need to reread the PDF again.

On that note, I'd rather see more wildcards at discount prices, but that doesn't financially benefit the AKC.
Yeah I figured you knew but with them listed in order like that earlier in the thread I just wanted to clarify for those who may not.

As for why competitors would bother spending money on these classes, I can think of several reasons even just among people I know:

1- Wanting to play with an older or physically limited dog. The new classes have short jump heights (half I think).

2- Proving skills in the working section of the test while avoiding group stays. This particularly for people who had a bad experience or witnessed a bad experience with a dog who had no business doing group exercises.

3- Extra ring time. Some will treat these as C matches for training or brushing up on skills in a trial environment.

4- Alphabet soupers. There are those who simply must collect all the letter regardless of value-added. Some just like the collection, others think the list of letters make their dog look more accomplished (whether he is or not). The later can also often be ID'd by listing everything under the sun (NA NAJ NAF OA OAJ CD BN CDX...) even though some supercede earlier titles or by collecting and advertising for instance rally novice titles from five organizations and advertising their dog as a rally superstar though they've never Q'd in even the second tier of difficulty.

5- Someone with a retired dog who just wants to play a round, or with a novice dog who just wants to see where they are, or a handler who gets nervous in the ring who wants practice without what they perceive as the higher pressure of the normal classes.

There are probably others but those come to mind.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Glutton for Crazy

All fair answers and the idea of the new group stays is interesting for Arnold. thanks!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
overdogged

Pre-Open makes me want to dust Luce off and try her out. My reason for never entering her in Open was she can't jump that high or long anymore. But Pre-Open is half height/width.

Maybe if they offer it locally....
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

The biggest point of controversy in AKC obedience is group stays, and jump heights. Note that the new Pre-classes involve lower jump heights, and no group stays. It's obvious that rather than change the existing program, they just added new classes that people can title in.

I might bring Tess back out for pre-Open and pre-Utility. We'll see. I am one who is avoiding group stays, because they make her uncomfortable, but I do like training the more advanced exercises.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Sport Model Pug

Do you guys have veteran heights down there? We do up here for dogs over 7 years and it allows for lowered jump heights (not sure how much lower but it's still lower)

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Do you guys have veteran heights down there? We do up here for dogs over 7 years and it allows for lowered jump heights (not sure how much lower but it's still lower)
AKC does not.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
AKC does not.
However, UKC does.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years