Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

Default Bull Terrier?

Can you guys tell me about Bull Terriers? Recently I've found them to be the funniest looking and most adorable little things (through online photos). Never met one in real life though.

What are they like? Temperament? Biddable? DA? Average size? Everything you can think of!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Puppy Dog

I've heard that they are stubborn, not very athletic, and have a great sense of humor! Nothing first hand though. I did some research way back and that's all I remember. They are cute!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Top Dog

Stubborn. Opinionated. Bold. Great sense of humor. Pretty good with humans. Prone to skin allergies. Likelihood of DA. One of the only breeds I've encountered multiple individuals with SEVERE DA/reactivity. But, I've met good ones too.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaB View Post
I've heard that they are stubborn, not very athletic, and have a great sense of humor! Nothing first hand though. I did some research way back and that's all I remember. They are cute!
LOL, all great minds.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM
SBT Lover!!

I love them, they're on my maybe list for future dg! My aunt has had two, Roxy and Stella.

Roxy was absolutely bomb proof with people, I grew up with her and she was so sweet and goofy and never showed any aggression towards a person. She was, however, Dog Selective (DS) and didn't like every dog. She only had two major fights in her 16 years, though. One was with my other aunt's JRT, Spike. Spike ended up with a hole in his ear, which my cousin put earrings in for the rest of his life. The other was with a Dogo, he had a few scratches, but didn't need any stitches.

Stella is quite the opposite. She is not typical of the breed, however, because she was originally from a bad breeder and was in 3 other homes before my aunt got her. She LOVES other dogs, all other dogs, any other dog. Shares her home with a "maltipoo" who is DS and has never even growled at her. BUT, she is iffy with people. She's never bitten, but she has growled and even snapped at strangers before. She also has terrible allergies and compulsively chases her tail, to the point where her feet are swollen and cracked.

Both dogs are/were goofy clowns, love/d fetch and were/are a bit hard to train.

If you get one, you would definitely want to get one from a responsible breeder and meet the parents so you know how their personalities are.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 PM
SBT Lover!!

Roxy's personality was more typical of the breed. I can't find any pictures of her, but she was all white with one black eye.

Here's Stella and her ball:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

I have seen some ripped bull terriers, so I wouldn't call them unathletic. Just another one of those breeds people let get fat.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Top Dog

The only interactions I have had with them was at the dog park and someone in my neighborhood has one. I've met 5 in total and they were all ridiculously sweet and funny.
They all loved people and got along great with the dogs at the park.
Every single one of them looooooved running with my Afghan hounds. I've heard a few other sighthound people mention it too. It's the funniest thing because they are so tenacious that even if it takes them 6 times longer to get across the field they will finish that race. And the next race, and the one after that.

Those spinning handstand-zoomie things they do are so cute!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Felurian

Bull TERRIERS.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I have seen some ripped bull terriers, so I wouldn't call them unathletic. Just another one of those breeds people let get fat.
I think of them like muscle builders...not very flexible or overly agile, but has endurance and strength.