SHe's Not wanting to Eat

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Well as most of you know Shady has had an accident and has stiches and is pretty stuck to doing very little for awhile... Well She wasnet wanting to eat a whole lot when we got home from the vet yesterday But i figured it was just nerves and since she had eaten in the morning I wasent too worried. Well this morning it was feed time and Shady seemed to be feeling better today so i went to feed her her normal morning meal and she wasent interested. which is'nt like Shady she usually loves her food you would think i starve her the way she pounces on her dish in the morning lol. But I did worry so i called up my vet and asked if it sounded normal for her not to be wanting to eat. He just told me that she's still probley in a bit of shock from it all and that if theres still a problem tomarow to call him and I would probley have to come in with her again.

She has been drinking after some coaxing and once I get her to she finnishes the entire bowel of water which is good. She has been out to go potty and has gone I have checked the best i could for blood theres none and she's going pretty regular. I have tried everything with her her normal meat and veggie meal turkey necks and backs, some Innova, some oatmeal with meat in it, and random treats stuff she usually would never refuse but she has been.

Im wondering if you think this might work to get her to eat. Im thinking of making beef stew tonight and im thinking about taking some of the dogs beef and in a seperate pot cook it and shred it up real good. So it would be like a shredded beef stew even add some mashed veggies to it. so she can drink it like water but still get some food out of it. Does this sound like a good idea?

Any other ideas would be great I just feel like she's depressed.

Anesthesia is tough and can take a few days to recover from. It's a profound insult to the system. Keeping her meals simple might be good for a day or two. Maybe some white meat chicken or turkey with some broth. A little sage and rosemary might add enough savor to it to make her want to eat.

I'd make the beef stew like you're thinking of, too. If she doesn't feel like eating it tonight it will keep for a day or two and she should be ready to dive in by then.

It's entirely possible there's a bit of chemical depression going on as well; anesthesia drugs can cause that too. It's also entirely possible that she will milk this for all it's worth! ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If you can, get a tube of nutrical at the pet store. That would help her keep her nutrition down to heal, without making her eat when she is not ready. I cannot recommend it enough for ill dogs and puppies, thin dogs that you want to gain weight or boost the strength. You can put some on your fingers and press it to the roof of their mouth..they can just swallow it slowly. I have brought back puppies that you wouldn't think would live out the day with this stuff. It is very very good for them.

Love4:
Your stew idea sounds like a very good one! If that's too much food for Shady, than maybe just warm beef or chicken broth to drink?
Amy + Hunter

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
thanks everyone :)

Shady is doing much better today and she ate at bit of the stew last night but just seemed kind of uninterested. This morning during the feed she still wasent showing a whole lot of interest so I left her bowl while I went around feeding the other dogs thinking "oh well im probley going to have to get her to the vet". So I went out to the barn to feed those dogs and when i came back in she WAS eating!!! I was so happy :). She has been eating the rest of the day just alittle bit at a time which is good i don't want her to over eat.

She also got up and walked around the living room a bit. The only time she has gotten up has been when she had to go outside to go to the bathroom and movesd slowly. I think she's a bit nervouse that if she moves to quickly she might hurt but she did pretty good and then went back to her bed. Im thinking she's going to think twice before she climbs ANYTHING ever again.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Oh yes definatly Renee lol im totally expecting what i call the " too sick to go to school syndrom" lol to come from her when she gets well enough to run again. But I can see past those hershey eyes into the little demon she can be lol. I don't mind babying her right now its too much to hear her whine and then roll on her back like " oh please please im in so much pain please rub my belly" lol "rolls eyes" and sometimes i give in.

petluvbed

To Luv4pits about dog not eating.

Give her some Nutri-Cal....It comes in a tube and has vitamins and will help her maintain her energy level until she feels like eating. The stuff you put in Kong toys would work also. Your vet or pet stores should have it. Also give her Pediolyte....you can get it in the grocery stores or Walmart in the baby food section. Pediolyte is water with the minerals babies need. Put it in her water or you can squirt some in her mouth with a syringe. We use both of these on sick foster puppies & they have helped save a lot of sick puppies & little doggies.

Members online

No members online now.