Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

well i'm going to go against the grain a bit.
i feel God made me a predator, i take as much pleasure as any wolf or mt lion. AND i'm not ashamed to admit i enjoy killing the hog as much as any other part. i am sure a large part of that enjoyment comes from knowing the hog could very well kill me instead.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I went hog hunting a lot as a youngster in south Florida. It's a challenge and can be exciting to take part in. I never think that taking a life is fun, but hog hunting is a necessary evil. I agree with what all the others have said about how hard they are to kill and how invasive/destructive they are.

I enjoyed hog hunting for several reasons. I loved the outdoors, loved watching my dogs work, and loved riding horses. I learned an interesting skill set and have experiences that will last me a lifetime.
I had the same experience growing up except in North Florida. I miss it but I won't be doing it again I don't think. It was part of my old life.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Blackout

If I ever get into hunting or down to Louisiana you'll be my hunting mentor Pops =D. We'll need a couple of Catahoulas/Plotts and Curs for baying. I'll be kitted out like a Hirogen from Star Trek lol - knifes, gun, rope, weapons etc...

This is vile, vile prey. I'm not one for the taking of life - but with these creatures....
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
The Littlest Hound

I'd love to GO hog hunting... with someone else's dogs :P lol I'm not brave enough to put mine after hogs or bear (not that that has ever stopped her :/ )

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm All Ears

We just bow hunt them. We have a big group running on our property- or at least last year. Haven't seen them this year but all the guys go out and hunt 'em. My dad knows tons of bow hunters and they all want to take a crack at em.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
If I ever get into hunting or down to Louisiana you'll be my hunting mentor Pops =D. We'll need a couple of Catahoulas/Plotts and Curs for baying. I'll be kitted out like a Hirogen from Star Trek lol - knifes, gun, rope, weapons etc...

This is vile, vile prey. I'm not one for the taking of life - but with these creatures....
sorry about the delay, i just got in from a couple of days camping on everyone's (but mostly Utah's) tax dollars. THANK YOU EVERYBODY.

Stephy
I would be THRILLED. honestly in the last decade or so i've legged more hogs for other people than i have for myself. i prefer to run one bay dog & two running catch dogs. Sonic will catch & think Olive would too if given a chance. all i need to do now is: find a houlaXplott bay dog, find the gas money to drive to where the hogs are . but NO GUNS, i don't allow ANYONE to shoot hogs around my dogs.

on a serious note, when i am back in good dog hunting country & have a pack up & running, i will post an open invitation to everyone.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM
and Spy.

I can't say I would get enjoyment out of killing something but I certainly recognize that it's the nature of the food chain and that in cases of alien/invasive species, they ought to be exterminated for the good of the flora and fauna of the area they invaded. Having said that, I like to think that everything that is hunted/killed is done so as humanely as possible.

Nothing CHOSE to be born a pest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.