Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Bored Now.

Default Credit Card Recommendations?

I would like one that offers some benefits (points or something) as well as having an easy to navigate online interface that divides your transactions into categories, such as food and gas.

I got a secured card from Capital One, and I just hate their online interface, so I'm not interested in getting a regular card from them.

I have been toying with the idea of an airline miles card or a store card - think banana republic or express. I don't spend enough that a Southwest card will get me anything decent, and I don't care about interest rate - it gets paid off every month.

What rewards cards have you used that you have been happy with? Pros? Cons? Customer service?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

I have several credit cards that I use for the rewards. I keep track of which cards have which offers going on at the time, and use them accordingly. I have no idea on interest rates for any of them, as I pay them all off monthly. None of these cards have an annual fee.

I'm not sure how much online shopping you do, but all of these cards offer online shopping bonuses - if you shop with various merchants through their site, you can get 5-20% cash back.

Many cards offer a sign-up bonus, like if you spend $500 within three months you get a $100 cashback bonus. My American Express, Citi, and Chase cards all did this.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday. You get 3% cashback on grocery purchases, 2% on department stores, 2% on gas stations, and 1% on everything else. Rewards can be redeemed for merchandise, gift cards, or statement credits at a minimum of $20 or $25. The online interface is fine, I don't mind it. It tracks how much you spend in the above categories, but it doesn't break them down any further than that. The one thing I've noticed about this card that's a little different is that it takes longer for the rewards to show up - it's one billing period "late", so to speak.

Capital One . My very first credit card. I get 1% back on all purchases, plus a bonus 1% if I pay my bill on time. You can redeem for a statement credit, a check, or gift cards with no minimum.

Chase Freedom. You get 5% back on rotating quarterly categories. For example, from October-December you get 5% back on airlines, hotels, Best Buy, and Kohls (nice for holiday shopping and traveling). From January-March you get 5% back on gas stations, drugstores, and Starbucks. You can redeem for merchandise, gift cards, statement credit, or a check with a $20 minimum.

Citi. You get 5% back on rotating quarterly categories. From October-December you get 5% back on Macy's, electronic stores, and toy stores. I just got this card in October, so I don't know what previous quarters were, and they haven't released the 2013 calendar yet. You can redeem for statement credits, not sure what the minimum is.

Discover You get 5% back on rotating quarterly categories. October-December is 5% back on online shopping and department stores. January-March is 5% back on restaurants and movies. They also offer a lot of bonus cashback offers. You get 2% back if you set up auto bill pay for phone, internet, and television. I got 2% back on everything during my birthday month. They'll announce periods of time (might be a day, might be a week) where they give 2%-5% back on all purchases. You can redeem for direct deposit or statement credits ($50 minimum) or gift cards ($20 minimum). They have a very nice online customizable spend analyzer that breaks down purchases into various categories.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Im in Canada and I like having an RBC credit card. It rewards points, I think its one point per dollar. I also dont pay an annual fee.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Chase Freedom is what I use, I like the 5% off particularly when it's off gas and hotels right during agility season! I never cash out my 5%, just buy something neat on the card and then put my points towards the bill when it comes. The APR is high but like you I pay it off every month so it doesn't matter. Their customer service is AWESOME, I haven't had to deal with them very often but I had an issue last month and had to make two calls (I had two separate questions.) Both times it was very easy to talk to a rep, I could easily understand them, they were super polite and completely addressed my questions and flat out took care of me. I'm so thrilled I'm actually planning on switching to Chase Bank for my checking account, which you frequently get a "$200 cash when you open a checking account!" deals in the mail with your card.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

I have Chase Freedom. It was my first credit card, and is still my only one. I don't have the organizational patience for more than 1 card! I would choose a card that gives cash. For most people, that's the most valuable reward. $1 is worth far more than a gift card for $1 to a store or hotel or airline.

I would avoid store cards. They are generally only good at the store you get it from. Unless it's a visa/mastercard/amex/etc, you're pretty stuck. A Kohls card is only good at Kohls, an Express card only at Express, etc. You want something you can use to buy groceries or gas, I'd assume.

Have you played around with mint.com? No matter what your credit card interface is, it will import the data and sort it for you.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

I won't get more that one card and thats capitol one. But if you have a secured card you may want to just move up with who you have or wait until you can qualify for all the bonuses. Many are not available until you have a certain credit rating or limit etc.

My mom has so many cards it drives me nuts. But each one does have a perk. I have had the same card from capitol one since it was a student card, my limit has just jumped a lot. I should call and ask why the hell I have not cash back incentives on anything though I have never paid late in ten years or really carried a balance. I have no yearly fees though so not complaining to much.

If you want a store card targets is nice. You get a percentage off purchases there. Think its like 5% maybe. I know that is one my mom has as she is there all the time. She loves it.(but also pays it off immediately there because I think its a higher apr card)

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

My advice, which I'm sure you don't want, is DON'T GET A CREDIT CARD.

My other advice is that I do know a few people who use Chase Freedom and really like it, and do get pretty cool rewards.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

I have an AmEx Blue Cash Rewards (I think that's what it's called). It's nice but there are a handful of places who don't take AmEx.

I also have an Amazon/Chase/Visa rewards. This one is nice because we order a lot off of Amazon and you get points that you can use as Amazon monies

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
My advice, which I'm sure you don't want, is DON'T GET A CREDIT CARD.

My other advice is that I do know a few people who use Chase Freedom and really like it, and do get pretty cool rewards.
HAHAHAHA beat me to it!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

I disagree with not getting a credit card. It helps your credit score, you can get money back, and you can just pay back everything right away. So, totally worth it, IMO. You just have to be smart about it.

We mostly use discover here. I have a Toys'r Us credit card I like too but only use when I can't use discover or when I buy stuff at TRU... I get 4% back on what I get there. And as soon as the charge is posted, I make a payment online. Same for Kolhs (you get steals with their 30% off coupons and sales) and Target (5% on all Target purchases).