Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I've been pondering what I really like in a dog, and I'm curious...how are their focus? I'm starting to really prefer dogs that naturally have an interest in me (haha). If you go out to a field and let them loose...are they going to go critter and meander around, or are they going to hang out by you, bring you a ball, try to engage you?

I know they aren't as high drive as say a border collie or ACD but are they easily motivated?

I think if I ever were to bite the bullet and do it, I'd probably look for an adult..just given what I look for.
I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard drive depends on the line. If I get one, it will probably be from on of the links posted so far (or similar.) Karbits breeds drivey dogs, and the breeders that are going for hunting lines will be pretty driven. I can't say more than that, though.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Yes, miniatures are much more energetic than the Standards and Toys. Oh yess.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Thanks guys for all the nice tid bits of info.

I'd probably go for a solid color. I am quite partial to the silver ones. Or black or white. LOL. Over the weekend both of my Chi's had a case of diarrhea. I have no idea what their problem was. They didn't act sick in any other way. It might have been too many hand outs of bacon one morning when at my daughter's. Anyhow, I was very busy cleaning up after them, rushing them outside frequently. And I think now...OMG what am I thinking of? Another dog? I just not sure I'm ready yet for more. These two are generally so easy, relatively calm and lovely companions. On the other hand.....

Love all the pictures. I can never get enough. Thanks so much.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I like the phantoms too (that's what they call the tanpoint Poodles), and the partis. But those are unallowable in the US, so I don't know if one can find them from responsible breeders.
Not in AKC but UKC they are

COLOR

Coat colors in Multi-Colored Poodles include the following: Apricot, black, blue, cream, gray, silver, white, red, silver beige and all shades of brown, including café-au-lait. Also acceptable is a fine streaked or striped effect or pattern of black or tan hairs in combination with these colors.

Dogs whose coats include the brown shades may have dark amber eyes; liver noses, eye rims and lips; and dark nails. Dogs with apricot coat color may have this combination of eye, pigment and nail color as well but it is not desirable. All others must have very dark eyes; black noses, eye rims and lips; and black or self-colored nails.

These colors (and combinations of colors) must appear in one of the following patterns:

***9679; Parti-colored: At least fifty percent white, with spots or patches of any other acceptable solid color. The head can be of a solid color but white muzzle, blaze, or white muzzle/blaze combination (preferably symmetrical) are equally acceptable. Full or partial saddles are acceptable, as long as they do not exceed the color proportion, but are not preferred. Ticking in the white of the coat is acceptable but not preferred.

***9679; Phantom: Solid base color with sharply defined markings of a second color appearing above each eye, on the sides of the muzzle, on the throat and forechest, or in a chin and forechest bowtie pattern as well as on all four legs and feet, and below the tail. A phantom without clearly defined face markings or one that presents with its whole face colored in the second color is acceptable, as long as it maintains all the other specified body markings. Any combination of acceptable colors is allowed.

***9679; Abstract: Less than fifty percent white, with the remaining percent any other acceptable solid color.

***9679; Sable: A coat represented by black-tipped hairs on a background of any solid color, with no particular pattern/location designated for such hairs.

***9679; Multi-patterned: A dog that clearly exhibits more than one of the acceptable color patterns, such as; a Parti with full or incomplete phantom markings (facial markings with or without presentation of the diamond under the tail), or a Phantom with additional abstract markings, etc.

Disqualification: Any color or color pattern other than described above; albinism.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I like te Kleinpudels. It's not really a size in the US, but they are basically small Standards/large Minis. I've heard good things about this breeder's dogs: http://karbitpoodles.com/kleinpudel.html

I like the slightly smaller size, but not too much smaller. I like the Standards' look. A lot of the health problems are because of all the crazy inrbeeding that took place. You have to make sure to find a breeder with low COIs (for more than just a few generations back,) and plenty of health history. Spoos are very inbred - especially certain colors - unless you go looking for the right one.
I just looked over that website. That is a cool idea. Is it acceptable in the US? They are within the range of one or the other...mini or standard. I see nothing though, about health testing or where they're located.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Owned by Belgians

I LOVE Standard Poodles! I used to have a GSD mix who was in love with a female that we would see at agility every Friday night.

Does the hair on the muzzle stay short like that? The puppies don't seem to have much hair there.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
I LOVE Standard Poodles! I used to have a GSD mix who was in love with a female that we would see at agility every Friday night.

Does the hair on the muzzle stay short like that? The puppies don't seem to have much hair there.
Nope, you have to shave their faces.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I just looked over that website. That is a cool idea. Is it acceptable in the US? They are within the range of one or the other...mini or standard. I see nothing though, about health testing or where they're located.
They don't have a lot of info on their site, but I've found some test results on their dogs. I'm sure they'd give more info if asked. It does say they health test, research backgrounds, and plan litters accordingly. Some places don't test as much as I'd like on the smaller ones, claiming they don't have the joint problems. With any future puppy I want to know everything about the parents' hips and elbows.

I think you can show them within their size range. Some people don't like that certain Klein lines - or even small Standard lines - have historically incorporated Minis for the size. But then I personally prefer that over the Standard breeders who have created hugely inbred dogs generation after generation. I like the breeders with imported dogs to diversify their lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post

Breeders usually get pups started on grooming so they are used to it. I love the unshaved face looks, though!

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

I remember a poodle boarding that was "small standard" or "large mini", I was trying to figure out which she was, asked the owner, said she was from the UK. She had a fantastic temperament and the size was good.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I love poodles! I will totally own a Spoo someday, and a mini! Someday...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.