Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny82 View Post
Maybe I see the world through rose colored glasses but I have sympathy for Stephy's situation. Could it be misplaced? Sure. I dont know Stephy at all. Ive never spoken to her save for commenting to her thread twice (this being the second time) but rather than doubting her I choose to care.

It does not cost me anything to be nice. In life I have tons of regrets, I am sure I will have many more..But one thing I have never regretted and never will was showing kindness or compassion to someone that seemed in need even if in the end it was misplaced.
Thank you. <3
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,592
Default

It's not about worrying about looking like a dummy. It's about ("what I call") enabling being harmful to the person being enabled. I wouldn't buy an alcoholic friend or acquaintance a bottle of Wild Turkey to be "supportive." Nor do I feel it's mentally healthy to encourage and support this kind of unhealthy attention-seeking.

I don't think anyone doesn't think that Stephy has problems she needs help for. But what some people think is helpful, I think is harmful.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
and sometimes people are seriously hurting and can use a little less of the bullshit everywhere they turn around.
Hey ... Everyone hurts, that's life. I think everyone would be a little more sympethetic if she TRIED to help herself, but she has had chance after chance, friends have tried to help her, I. Face the friend she says was "false" sounded like (to me) that she stuck her neck out to try to help her & she got it guillotined from this end it sounded like her friend was trying to be a GOOD friend & got burned if a friend did that to me, he's it would **** me off.

I see no jackasses here, only some very blunt, very dry opinions but in all fairness the only one who used any name calling I this thread, was you.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny82 View Post
Maybe I see the world through rose colored glasses but I have sympathy for Stephy's situation. Could it be misplaced? Sure. I dont know Stephy at all. Ive never spoken to her save for commenting to her thread twice (this being the second time) but rather than doubting her I choose to care.

It does not cost me anything to be nice. In life I have tons of regrets, I am sure I will have many more..But one thing I have never regretted and never will was showing kindness or compassion to someone that seemed in need even if in the end it was misplaced.
Exactly.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It's not about worrying about looking like a dummy. It's about ("what I call") enabling being harmful to the person being enabled. I wouldn't buy an alcoholic friend or acquaintance a bottle of Wild Turkey to be "supportive." Nor do I feel it's mentally healthy to encourage and support this kind of unhealthy attention-seeking.

I don't think anyone doesn't think that Stephy has problems she needs help for. But what some people think is helpful, I think is harmful.
How do you know it's merely attention seeking and not reaching out for help? Are you a psychiatrist? Even then, without knowing her more, how can you assume it's enabling or the same thing as giving an alcoholic a drink? If someone is feeling desperate and reaching their hand up for someone to grab hold of, have someone be encouraging... is that enabling? If someone were about to fall off a cliff and all you had to do was throw them a rope or reach your hand to pull them back, would that be "enabling?" Is enabling a bad thing? Enabling someone to live?
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,689
Default

Didn't even read the whole thread. But there sure are some catty bitches on this forum. If anything, I hope you breeders, rescuers, and "friends" are proud of how you've publically displayed yourselves. Chaz isn't any place for friends or a needed vent. It's a witch hunt. I wouldn't trust any of you with anything, god forbid your advice about anything.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Jules's Avatar
Jules Jules is offline
Magic, motherf@%$*#!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,162
Default

But help and support and all that has been given... What comes back are threads about mashed potatoes and catty girlfriend's of a studio roommate. There is nothing to grasp other than stories, pretty words spun into a dramatic story. And even her pictures are not of herself. So what is true and what is catfish?

I am all for helping someone in need - but there has got to be something tangible to a story. Would you donate to someone coming here claiming their dog needed funds for a surgery without having proof that the story is true?
__________________
A dog is a miracle with paws.
T-Bone, CGC
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
But help and support and all that has been given... What comes back are threads about mashed potatoes and catty girlfriend's of a studio roommate. There is nothing to grasp other than stories, pretty words spun into a dramatic story. And even her pictures are not of herself. So what is true and what is catfish?

I am all for helping someone in need - but there has got to be something tangible to a story. Would you donate to someone coming here claiming their dog needed funds for a surgery without having proof that the story is true?
But I'm not donating money. Just me. And that's for free and doesn't cost me a thing. If it helps, great. If it doesn't because it's all a sham, then....oh well. At least I know I have the ability to try.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by eddieq; 12-11-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Chaz isn't any place for friends or a needed vent. It's a witch hunt. I wouldn't trust any of you with anything, god forbid your advice about anything.
I just wanted to say I find this completely and utterly untrue. I've made some wicked vents on here and made some even more amazing friends on this forum.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Danefied's Avatar
Danefied Danefied is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It's not about worrying about looking like a dummy. It's about ("what I call") enabling being harmful to the person being enabled. I wouldn't buy an alcoholic friend or acquaintance a bottle of Wild Turkey to be "supportive." Nor do I feel it's mentally healthy to encourage and support this kind of unhealthy attention-seeking.

I don't think anyone doesn't think that Stephy has problems she needs help for. But what some people think is helpful, I think is harmful.
I think this pretty much sums it up for me.

I feel tremendous compassion for Steffy, but enabling her is not a compassionate thing to do. It's self-serving, doesn't help Steffy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
and sometimes people are seriously hurting and can use a little less of the bullshit everywhere they turn around.
I think we could all use a little less BS in our lives.
I've seen chaz turn on folks with some serious venom. For all we know some of those folks were hurting as much if not more than steffi, they just didn't voice it online.
If compassion is only reserved for those who put out the most effort in to advertising their misery, then we're a sorry lot indeed.
__________________
"We become better trainers by refusing to swallow uncritically what is tossed to us as truth,
by developing our powers of empathy and observation,
and by searching for better ways to teach and educate the dogs we love."
~Suzanne Clothier
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site