Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Same here! There are actually a few breeds I am still looking at, but I will have a Spoo (or a Klein) some day. I thought I'd never have anything but Pits/mixes of them, and I never cared for Poodles. The big ones kinda freaked me out.

I still don't care for the look of the shaved snouts for the most part, but I'm crazy about their appearance in certain clips (or when left natural.) My brother didn't believe me when I showed him a pic of a Poodle without its face done. He swore it was a Labradoodle. When I first realized they'd be a good match for me, I started a folder on my computer called "Poodles are cute and good," so I would have ammo to back me up when I got brave enough to tell my anti-poodle family about my plans. My dad was actually accepting of it, to my astonishment. I guess he has faith in me, given how in love he is with my Zoe.

My brother is less convinced. He's getting a house and a wife, and loves Labs and Goldens, and asked me what breeds there are that he might like that don't shed as much. I don't think he'll ever be won over on Poodles, but I tried explaining to him that they are every bit the hunting dogs that his favorites are.

I had a dream last night about a litter of Poodle puppies after reading this thread.
It's interesting how our likes and dislikes evolve over time. Years ago, a Poodle would have been the last dog on my dog breed wants. LOL. In fact, so would Chihuahuas have been. It was always GSDs, Labs, Dobermans, Lab mixes. Now I'm just enthralled. I love my Chihuahuas...might simply wind up with another one of those. But Poodles are also intriguing to me and I have had fun trying out different breeds over the years.

So, it should be interesting how it goes for you. You can show your family pictures of Poodles retrieving ducks...being the hunting dogs they are. That ought to appeal to their macho thing. LOL. I just like how versatile they are. They're so athletic and swift, springy and agile. And smarter than a whip. So, that's a lot of what appeals to me. Plus they don't tend toward dog aggression....something I really don't want to deal with again. It's a p.i.t.a.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

I want a white Standard Poodle to do Schutzhund with....I'd keep it in a full continental clip and dye it pretty colors.

I have a secret love for Poodles.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
It's interesting how our likes and dislikes evolve over time. Years ago, a Poodle would have been the last dog on my dog breed wants. LOL. In fact, so would Chihuahuas have been. It was always GSDs, Labs, Dobermans, Lab mixes. Now I'm just enthralled. I love my Chihuahuas...might simply wind up with another one of those. But Poodles are also intriguing to me and I have had fun trying out different breeds over the years.

So, it should be interesting how it goes for you. You can show your family pictures of Poodles retrieving ducks...being the hunting dogs they are. That ought to appeal to their macho thing. LOL. I just like how versatile they are. They're so athletic and swift, springy and agile. And smarter than a whip. So, that's a lot of what appeals to me. Plus they don't tend toward dog aggression....something I really don't want to deal with again. It's a p.i.t.a.
I know nothing about these people, so can't tell you whether they are responsible breeders or not. But there are lots and lots of photos of hunting Poodles on their site:
http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/index.html
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I want a white Standard Poodle to do Schutzhund with....I'd keep it in a full continental clip and dye it pretty colors.

I have a secret love for Poodles.
I read in a Poodle forum that someone was going to do that with their Spoo, only they do SAR. They were going to do a show clip and I think maybe even dye her pink for a test she was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I know nothing about these people, so can't tell you whether they are responsible breeders or not. But there are lots and lots of photos of hunting Poodles on their site:
http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/index.html
Here is another: http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Awesome looking dogs in those links. I think that's great that they're working them as hunting dogs. Of course, anyone can make a website and I know nothing really, about these breeders. But they look good as far as one can tell. It looks like they do lots of health testing and the second one explains how they breed more in detail. Pretty interesting even though I can't understand all of it. Thanks for sharing the links.

RC...what you describe would take the Schutzhund world by surprise, wouldn't it. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

For all those with a secret love of poodles, GO FOR IT! It'll be the best decision you'll ever make.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

I really like standard poodles. I met a few over the years. Love seeing all the poodle pics.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

My breed preference is highly influenced by working at a vet clinic. Some of the nicest dogs I know are standard poodles, Brittany spaniels and Tibetan terriers which is how they were added to my list. The fact that I live in Ontario has forcibly pushed me away from pitbulls although they'll always have my heart.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

What about miniature Poodles Allison? I love the standards too. If I wanted a larger dog, I'd totally go for one. They are reeeeeeeelly tempting. But I'm sold on smaller sized dogs. I'm getting freakin' old and I have a very small yard. I don't want to have to lift a heavy dog if necessary and I find the small ones so easy to travel with etc, etc, etc. So, I'm thinking IF I get another dog....a miniature Poodle. Apparently, they're a little less likely to get some of those genetic health problems. What do you all think? I could still do agility with a mini and walk and hike like I like to. But yeah...they're not as regal perhaps as the big ones. Oh, and that's on my name list for a male...Regal. Cool, huh.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
For all those with a secret love of poodles, GO FOR IT! It'll be the best decision you'll ever make.
OMG! You shouldn't have said that. You're tempting me something fierce and I tell you I just mustn't get another dog right now. It's too much. Two is good. My two old dogs who don't cause me any puppy brand of trouble. I dread all the work involved with a new puppy. But puppies are so cute. My two dogs would not get as much attention because a new puppy would be such a project and I'd spend so much time with that one. I'd feel guilty. I don't have quite the energy I use to. On the other hand....LOL. I'm fighting this Poodle-it is battle and sometimes I feel like my foot hold is slipping.

So, you think it would be the best decision any one of us with Poodle love could make? Hmmm. Tell me again why.

Thomas Jefferson