Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Felurian

I can hook you up with a superb Rattie

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
American hairless terrier? They come in hairy too.
Denis has boycotted anything hairless, although I have considered an AHT. They're just a variant of RTs though so my like is obvious. I do worry about their warmth on trips to AK though, now that we're closer we plan to visit AK more often, the trip will be far less expensive and time consuming than it was from Las Vegas. Hence the plane size being a perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Really small Malinois?
You missed the cuddling and off switch... right? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
How about a nice working bred Jagd?
I don't know the first thing about that breed... I'll have to look them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffanatic View Post
My boston really was a tiny pit bull when she was younger, stafinois can attest to it! If you find a good boston, they are all the things you listed. Pixie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what she lacks in brain she makes up in drive and heart.

With that said, i have no idea where i would go to get another. Pixie was from some ranch in NorCal and she has horrid knees and bronchial issues. Show dogs are mostly small and fragile, byb dogs are full of attitude and health issues. One day i'll bred some healthy sport bostons, until then, i got nuffin :-(
I've toyed with the boston idea but I'm not sold on snub nose dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
It's true. She even bloodied Grant's face once. It made him fall in love with her even more. Although Emma came along and stole his heart, he still stares fondly at Bostons.

I did come across a website of performance, health tested Bostons in my neck of the woods. Can't remember the kennel name, though.
If you remember I'd love to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
A jack! I know a lady
I'm intimidated that a jack will be wild with no cuddling off-switch. LOL Funny coming from a malinois owner but the reality is I have one nutterfutz dog named Backup and basically I want a mini Sloan, she's easy going, can play with dogs, is driven and can work in any drive, can meet strangers and although aloof she's stable and confident, she also can chill and sleeps with us/can be left loose, etc.

As for Jacks will they be good with dogs and do they have a down time chill/cuddle talent? I'm sure the rest would apply. Plus I want a puppy and I want a girl but we're closing on a house/remodeling a kitchen in a few weeks meaning my puppy funds are low so I was shooting for spring to have the money again so the timing may be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffanatic View Post
Ok, so i have my heart breed and my portable breed, now i just need to pick a guardian/easy to compete with breed!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Patterdale? Or would they have a potential to be too dog aggressive?
I'm really not sure, I'm avoiding the very dog v dog tenacious terriers. I was told it's safer to look for breeds bred to work in packs so rat terriers and border terriers top my list with that.

It's a really important aspect for me because we have a house with 4 dogs who can all be pushy and rude but they all get along within reason, I don't want to disturb that. And while we crate everyone when we're gone, for safety, I want to stack the cards in my favor of not ending up in a c/r lifestyle again like I have been before with so many of my fosters.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

A JRT will have WAY more of an off switch than a Malinois, and if you get an adult from a foster home or a puppy from well-known lineage, your risk of severe DA is going to be pretty minimal, no worse than a Boston or other terrier-type.

Every JRT I've ever known (including my extremely unstable, very very very high energy, puppy mill jack), LOVES to chill out and cuddle with enough exercise. And whatever exercise you're giving pit bulls and mals will be more than enough.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I can hook you up with a superb Rattie
I'd love to know where from. Hannah, my RT is a deckers giant from Fire Mountain. She was a fluke gift from my boss who'd bought her for hearing work but couldn't keep her due to a divorce. I really would love a little clone of her. She's a bit larger than I want at about 25 lbs but most everything else in her temperament was perfection.

For good measure...

She lives with my parents now, she started having seizures around 3 and after that she began having a lot of trouble with change. I tried taking her to my house when I moved a few times but it was always too stressful for her.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Slave to the Aussie

How about a lancashire heeler?

I know a few and they are great little folks.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeigh View Post
If you join the "health tested puppies from conscientious breeders" we have Meta on there planning a GREAT Rattie litter in the coming months.
I tried to sign in but it's giving me trouble... I'd love more information about this breeding though...

Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Puppy Dog

I know they are bigger than what you were looking for, but my lighter boned Cardi fits everything else you want. He's about 25 lbs for reference and a little bit leggier and sportier than some you see. But he is very drivey, and he's done very well in agility, but has an off switch at home. He is very cuddly, and we haven't had a problem with barking (although we were very diligent from the beginning on this one.) Again, probably not the direction you want to go, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

What about a Westie, because they are pretty much perfection. They have great off switches, lots of prey, and toy drive. Some have a degree of DA, but mainly they just won't put up with ****. Teagan is great with other dogs, unless they are rude, but she just tells them to f-off with a growl and a lip curl. I can trust her around other dogs pretty much always.

They make great adventure buddies, heck we took Teagan everywhere with us this summer, which included back country hiking, boat camping, camping in the rain. ect

They have great off switches and love, LOVE to cuddle, but still are independent and are free thinkers, yet still handler orientated.

Now, I think the issue is finding a breeder, I still have not found one that I love yet, but that does not mean they are out there, plus I think you would be able to find an awesome one in the shelter. If that's the route you want to go.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I am not looking for a rescue at this time, I'm not opposed but in an effort to set my household up for the best chance possible I'm looking for a well bred puppy.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Clearly, you need a Webster.

Everyone needs a Webster

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13