Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Felurian

Default Ever teach your dog something that wasn't such a great idea?

Like the time I thought it would be fun to teach Tallulah to chase my feet under the covers?

Not quite the same thing as a cat chasing them, ya know?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Uhhh yeah. LOL I refuse to treat shake anymore or bark on command. They are really annoying defaults when dogs get confused, imo.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Aware

Embyr knows how to open the fridge, but she doesn't do anything with it unless asked. I started to teach Copper, my food crazed Foxhound, and thought better of it. I'm glad I did.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

Shake. Worst thing to ever teach Chewy, and it's her go-to now. When you're eating, when she's bored, when you're trying to work on something else and she gets frustrated and claws your thigh to pieces instead... It was really useful if I ever wanted her to do something with her feet, like Cross Your Paws, but she still feels the need to claw like a cat.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Embyr knows how to open the fridge, but she doesn't do anything with it unless asked. I started to teach Copper, my food crazed Foxhound, and thought better of it. I'm glad I did.
omg that would be so dangerous in my house. LOL
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Mountain Dawg

I taught Lugia to run between my legs from behind... now she does it to everyone at the dog park It's so funny to see people just milling about unsuspectingly, when suddenly a puppy forcefully squeezes herself between their legs causing their knees to buckle, as she runs off in the opposite direction. As amusing as it is to watch it happen to other people, it can get a little annoying when I'm cooking in the kitchen or something, and she comes up to me unannounced and tries to weave through my legs.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
omg that would be so dangerous in my house. LOL
Same here, Adrianne, lol! There's a good reason I call Tallulah my Bottomless Pit.

Kharma . . . I suspect she knows (I caught her nosing at the door opening a couple of times and told her she'd better not even think about it). However, she has a faithful servant to do such things. Just as well, she'd probably put something metal in the microwave or leave the stove on, lol.

She does make phone calls every now and then. She's called Buckshot several times (he knows its her and they have a conversation) and the other day she somehow managed to call Romy's old number -- the one for the phone her ex now has. I think it shook him up a bit, lol. Guess it's a good thing I don't have any pizza places on the memory?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 12-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Big Dog

When I was teaching Baxter to fetch I taught him to sit at my feet with the ball. His idea of sitting at my feet is to run at me full speed, body check my legs with his butt, and then sit on my feet. This works just fine for me because I know his routine and expect it, other people not so much. He's nearly taken a few people out by doing this.

The worst was when my friends 4 year old son decided to start a game of fetch with Baxter. Small child + unexpected 18 lb dog butt check to the leg= faceplant!

I felt so bad. My friend, on the other hand, thought it was hilarious.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

I taught Schaffer how to open doors.
One day, I came home to several ripped up cereal boxes and a bag of flour scattered about on the carpet. Fluff butt helped himself into the pantry.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

"Give paw"/shake. I regret it so much, now he slams his paw on me (or flails it sadly midair, multiple times) as his default behavior. It really doesn't help that I laugh and shake his paw anyway because I don't have the heart to tell him he's an idiot.

Also, for a while, he thought everything I asked for was a request for him to "perch" on the first elevated object he saw. That, was usually me. Thanks, Dog.