Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Top Dog

As far as the origins of dogs - has anyone else read Dog Sense yet? I'm not finished it, but the first couple of chapters are about how exactly dogs became what they are. Obviously what we know changes frequently, and the author says such, but I was fascinated reading it - it all made more sense than much of what I've read before in my mind. I'm reading it on my Nook, so I haven't really looked at the references yet, but it is clearly cited and the author is a scientist, so hopefully they are decent references.

I'd be very interested in others' take on it.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 PM
On second thought...

If You***039;re Aggressive, Your Dog Will Be, Too, Says Veterinary Study at University of Pennsylvania | Penn News

Not the original study, more like an article on the study, but still worth reading. Has to do with how people trained aggressive dogs. The pool of participants seems kind of small (140), but I'm not sure what the average turnout is for studies involving dogs.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
RaymondMarcoLimbrecht

Smile I think Dog Whisperer has great advice on Dog Dominance

I am not sure the episode, I will look for it and post it here but I recently saw an excellent episode on Dog Whisperer where Cesar Millan focuses on dog dominance. He states:

One of the first things you should to create a strong bond and balanced relationship with your new dog is to be the pack leader from day one. Knowing your pack takes time, patience, and acceptance. Then formulating a plan, setting an intention, and following through is what creates even more strength in your relationship, bond, and its depth.

Check out his site for great tips. He's helped me a lot

Raymond Marco Limbrecht
Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMarcoLimbrecht View Post
I am not sure the episode, I will look for it and post it here but I recently saw an excellent episode on Dog Whisperer where Cesar Millan focuses on dog dominance. He states:

One of the first things you should to create a strong bond and balanced relationship with your new dog is to be the pack leader from day one. Knowing your pack takes time, patience, and acceptance. Then formulating a plan, setting an intention, and following through is what creates even more strength in your relationship, bond, and its depth.

Check out his site for great tips. He's helped me a lot

Raymond Marco Limbrecht
Being a leader to your dog has nothing to do with dominance. Dominance is nothing but a descriptor of who is in control of resources. It should be (and is) a complete non-issue in dog-human relationships.

Leadership versus Dominance | Dog Star Daily
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Top Dog

I haven't read most of the thread, but Kathy Sdao has some good stuff on this also. Love her.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Top Dog

I apologize if this has already been posted (browsed through, didn't see it) but here is Dr Mech discussing why "dominance" and "alpha" are terms that are widely misused and generally disregarded by researchers today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtFg...e_gdata_player
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

Anybody wanna pitch in their two cents on this?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...97042186979289

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I hate when someone mentions the horrible "D" word :/ just makes me want to beat my head against a wall :/

Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynancy543 View Post
Which domestic dog is closely related to the wolf?
All of them.