Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Default Dog Car Safety Restraints

The Center for Pet Safety did a study on some of those restraints sold for cars. What an eye-opener! And the videos, even though I know they're not real dogs... ugh, sad just thinking what could happen to a real dog.

http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/

Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

This needs to be stickied!

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

There are a few issues not addressed in that study though. True, in a crash at 30 mph or more one of these dog restraints will NOT save your dog. What about low speed accidents? Fender benders?

Another thing is when you're addressing the issue of an unconfined dog in a car. How many times have you seen a dog pester their owner from the backseat? Or a dog riding on the lap of the driver? In those cases, preventing possible accidents, restraints or crating would be a good idea.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:37 AM
Puppy Dog

Seat belts are essential for any passenger in a moving vehicle including your pets. Keep your furry friend safe in the event of an unforeseen accident by securing them in place with a pet seat belt.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Aussie Obssessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonilCraig View Post
Seat belts are essential for any passenger in a moving vehicle including your pets. Keep your furry friend safe in the event of an unforeseen accident by securing them in place with a pet seat belt.
Seat belts are not essential for a pet and I would never use one after the bad experiences I've had with them. I would put my dog in a crate if I wanted them to be confined. Other people may like seatbelt harnesses, and that's great if they work for you, but it's not "essential".
Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

I bought a new used car two years ago and my only requirement was I could fit two 42" crates in it. I don't bother with seat belts and all of that. Crates are how my dogs travel for the most part. In my husband's truck...they ride free. But he has a tank of a pick up truck. I have had too many friends get in accidents with their dogs in their cars where their cars have been totaled. Their dogs were unhurt because they were crated.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE- L1 HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
I bought a new used car two years ago and my only requirement was I could fit two 42" crates in it. I don't bother with seat belts and all of that. Crates are how my dogs travel for the most part. In my husband's truck...they ride free. But he has a tank of a pick up truck. I have had too many friends get in accidents with their dogs in their cars where their cars have been totaled. Their dogs were unhurt because they were crated.
I totally agree crating is the best option for restraint, but it is not always possible. A small car and a large dog = no crate, and most people can't afford to buy a new car just to accomodate their dog.

I use a seatbelt and seat sling combination for Snowball (the seat belt is for the highway). He is 30lbs, smaller than the weighted dog in the video, but too big for a crate in my car. Hubby's car is a hatch-back and Snowball gets the back all to himself. He's only seatbelted in either car if we're on the highway. I have no illusions about the seat belt saving him from injury (we have what I'm fairly certain is the harness that did the best in those tests). What I DO hope it does is restrain him in the event of a crash, so that first responders can get to the people in the car without getting bitten, and to prevent him from running around a busy highway.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

I will admit the timing for when I brought in Ocean to our household worked out well. I had a jeep wrangler with 200,000 miles on it...without a backseat, that fit one crate and collapsible dog crate and gear perfectly. No matter how you slice it, you can't fit two adult rottweilers into a jeep Wrangler. I have a Mountaineer which is more or less a Ford Explorer now. Even if the jeep wasn't dying a slow death, I would have had to get bigger car to fit the dogs and the crates that I take to dog shows for them to hang out in.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE SPG NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE- L1 HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

I can't find a seat belt for Gage, there is only one brand that has been tested for dogs his size (that I know of) and it's the Rough Rider Roadie and I haven found them in a store to try on him so I know it fits because they are not that adjustable. And ya no way is his crate fitting in any of my vehicles.

The littles have Little Snoozers for highway travel and a pet tube for in town.