Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

You might see about starting in one of those maid services or start your own. House cleaning, especially in an affluent area can be very good money. When I lived in north Idaho, there was very little work. But people had summer cabins. Some of them they rented out on a week or two week at a time home. I started with I think two customers and it just spread by word of mouth. I charged $20.00 an hour, 3 hour minimum and did one house a day. Some other people who did this same thing did 2-3 houses a day. They were more energetic than I was. But it paid my bills and I felt so much more in charge. $20.00 an hour is probably very low compared to a big city. This was a little resort area and people either had no money or lots of money to have vacation cabins on the lake. Anyhow, that's one idea.

I think if there's any way you can drum up a business of your own, that can be much more lucrative. But, if not, go work for a store or see about a receptionist type job. There are places that will help with resumes. Another thing I did was school bus driving. It pays well. You go to a training program....very short. I think it was a month or two long. In the meantime you could have a job at McDonalds or something...just to hang in there. School bus driving is a huge responsibility, but depending on districts, it pays very well and you get benefits once you have your own route. Often, you start out as a substitute driver, which is challenging.

Another thing is you might be able to get a job in a pharmacy as a B tech. (I don't know if they have the same names in Canada) But that pay isn't bad and you get benefits. They often train you on the job and meanwhile, you can take the course to become an A tech. (a higher paying tech with more training)

So, those are just a few jobs I thought of that I have done in the past before I started training dogs professionally.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yea, I gotta say, this is the bottom line. I have to admit that this improbable series of ever-escalating events is making my BS meter spike into the red and I'm not inclined to feed into that part of it.

However, having said that, that doesn't mean I don't think that Stephy needs or deserves help. If it's all true, she needs help. If it's all made up, she needs help. Either way, advice on the specifics of hooking is probably less helpful than encouraging pursuit of some mental health assistance.

So here: this is what a quick Google of "vancouver canada mental health services indigent" brings up. Something like 400 organizations, not all relevant. But I'd suggest while you're looking for a job and trying to get your house back from whoever seized it, you browse through that list and get some real help.
This!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

I think it's very high risk to be suggesting that Steph is making things up, being manipulative or lying. There is no proof. It's better to give the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. If you don't want to go along with these threads, don't like them, then don't post. Like they say, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. It's just too damaging if you're wrong.

She's been told she needs help one way or the other, been given ideas, sympathy, and support. Let's all just continue to either do that or nothing at all.

jmo
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

I too live in Canada. We have universal health care and this INCLUDES social workers, psychiatrists and other mental health care workers. Stephy, I don't know you but believe me when I say I hope you get the help you need. I am not going to sugar coat anything here but sometimes we need a little slap in the face to wake up. You need to stop using your troubles as a crutch because it only makes things tougher in the long run. You have hit a rough part of your life right now but like all things this too will pass. I had a very rough few years as have many others. I could have turned down the wrong path but I chose not to. Key word is CHOSE. I don't believe for one minute that you can't find work, it is the holiday season and many places are hiring temporary workers, you are surrounded by some of the best ski hills in North America (and they are ALWAYS hiring) even if you had to move to some of these they do have staff housing. In my early 20's I had nothing, no family, no friends, no anything and I made my way out to Lake Louise was hired on the spot and this included my staff accomodations! Yup, I picked cig. butts out of snow banks and gum off of chairs but it was better than nothing. You have to want to get out of this rut, you have to stop making excuses and be determinded that you are going to change. You are a young adult now and you have to be able to depend on yourself, so make up your mind to just do it. You are lucky that you live in Canada where we have these resources readily available to help you succeed---but only you can take that step forward. Btw, a quick look on the Canada Job Bank posts nearly 55 THOUSAND jobs in BC. Sure, you may not be qualified for many of them but cleaners, live-in care workers, fast food joints are all hiring! I'm glad that you have the support of many of the members here but I will not condone stooping to prostitution. Not here, not when we live in a country where we have other resources. You need to take responsibility for yourself and get yourself the help you DESERVE!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintgirl View Post
I too live in Canada. We have universal health care and this INCLUDES social workers, psychiatrists and other mental health care workers. Stephy, I don't know you but believe me when I say I hope you get the help you need. I am not going to sugar coat anything here but sometimes we need a little slap in the face to wake up. You need to stop using your troubles as a crutch because it only makes things tougher in the long run. You have hit a rough part of your life right now but like all things this too will pass. I had a very rough few years as have many others. I could have turned down the wrong path but I chose not to. Key word is CHOSE. I don't believe for one minute that you can't find work, it is the holiday season and many places are hiring temporary workers, you are surrounded by some of the best ski hills in North America (and they are ALWAYS hiring) even if you had to move to some of these they do have staff housing. In my early 20's I had nothing, no family, no friends, no anything and I made my way out to Lake Louise was hired on the spot and this included my staff accomodations! Yup, I picked cig. butts out of snow banks and gum off of chairs but it was better than nothing. You have to want to get out of this rut, you have to stop making excuses and be determinded that you are going to change. You are a young adult now and you have to be able to depend on yourself, so make up your mind to just do it. You are lucky that you live in Canada where we have these resources readily available to help you succeed---but only you can take that step forward. Btw, a quick look on the Canada Job Bank posts nearly 55 THOUSAND jobs in BC. Sure, you may not be qualified for many of them but cleaners, live-in care workers, fast food joints are all hiring! I'm glad that you have the support of many of the members here but I will not condone stooping to prostitution. Not here, not when we live in a country where we have other resources. You need to take responsibility for yourself and get yourself the help you DESERVE!

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I think it's very high risk to be suggesting that Steph is making things up, being manipulative or lying. There is no proof. It's better to give the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. If you don't want to go along with these threads, don't like them, then don't post. Like they say, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. It's just too damaging if you're wrong.

She's been told she needs help one way or the other, been given ideas, sympathy, and support. Let's all just continue to either do that or nothing at all.

jmo
Not entirely sure who you're addressing, so this may be unnecessary. I don't think anyone needs to go, "Meh. Screw you, I think you're making it up." And I don't think most (if any) are. But feeding into it can also be dangerous. So I think an honest approach and solid advice, while also showing an uncertainty and some amount of suspicion that may help to protect a well-intentioned Chazzer from being hurt, should be just as welcome in this thread as any other post.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Stephy, how can people help you? Do you need a referral to a trustworthy counselor or social worker? Do you need advice on next steps to take? Do you need someone to help you find a lawyer willing to hear your case?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffStuff View Post
Not entirely sure who you're addressing, so this may be unnecessary. I don't think anyone needs to go, "Meh. Screw you, I think you're making it up." And I don't think most (if any) are. But feeding into it can also be dangerous. So I think an honest approach and solid advice, while also showing an uncertainty and some amount of suspicion that may help to protect a well-intentioned Chazzer from being hurt, should be just as welcome in this thread as any other post.
Perhaps you're right about feeding into it not necessarily being helpful. I'm not exactly sure what you mean though, by "feeding" into it. But anyhow, since we don't know enough, can't see into the depths of the whole thing, it seems risky to withhold sympathy, caring, and trust. I don't know how that could hurt Chazzers. Kind words don't cost anything. It's better to let 10 guilty people go free than it is to hang one innocent.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:

jmo
If it is indeed made up, I actually think it is extremely harmful to feed into it.

Being skeptical of the details of the story doesn't automatically make anyone unsympathetic or unsupportive to Stephy's plight. Because whatever is going on and however close or far the real situation is to what we are reading here, Stephy needs the help of a mental health professional. THAT is the important thing and the bottom line. If you looked at the link I provided, the resources are there, she just had to use them.

jmo

Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Perhaps you're right about feeding into it not necessarily being helpful. I'm not exactly sure what you mean though, by "feeding" into it. But anyhow, since we don't know enough, can't see into the depths of the whole thing, it seems risky to withhold sympathy, caring, and trust. I don't know how that could hurt Chazzers. Kind words don't cost anything. It's better to let 10 guilty people go free than it is to hang one innocent.
But this is a false dichotomy. It's not "either you believe the story or you are withholding sympathy and caring." I believe Stephy is in a great deal of pain and I am sympathetic to it, I just really have a hard time believing all the things I've read here and I refuse to feed into the escalatingly bizarre stories.