Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

I may not say it (when it comes to people with A LOT of children) but I sure do think it lol
Not only when it comes to attention.. but deep in the corner of my head there is always a little voice like "Soo..sending all those kids to college you are going to do..how?.."

lol it's just easier to ask with dogs.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
"Soo..sending all those kids to college you are going to do..how?.."
Hah, that thought always goes through my head too.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol.
My main reason (and the reason I tell people to think hard about it) for not wanting dogs close in age is the getting old factor. I've spent more on Murph in the last year than in the four prior to that combined. Plus, the girls are really close to the same age and if they went at the same time I'd be devastated. Those aren't really things you have to consider with kids the same age (or close to it).

On topic - if it's not going to disrupt your life and your pack in anything but a good way....why not? She's adorable and you guys are fantastic owners.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

You guys are fantastic owners. I'm sure it would work out fine. I understand about those group things. That's how it's been with my dogs when I had several. And with Chi's....you can hold 2 or 3 under one arm and the others in the other arm. It is different with tiny dogs. And there's always lots of room on laps. It sure does help too, when they all get along. I'm thankful for that too in my house hold.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
We are the same. Anything less than four dogs would just seem empty.

I do always find it amusing that, at least in my experience, no one ever asks someone with multiple children 'How do you handle it, it's unfair to your older children?!" or "you're having another?!" when someone is pregnant. And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol. Kids are WAY more attention needing than dogs. My kid wasn't even out of swaddle age when people asked "when are you having more??" Ah...just the one, thank you.

Mind you, I have the Border Collie of children....without the benefit of a "stay" command.
DH grew up in a family with 8 kids, and lots of people asked that. They were actually snubbed by some family members that thought they had too many kids. Honestly, I can't imagine having 8 of anything other than fish or chickens-lol.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
One thing that I'd worry about is she's only 10 months old & you already have such a young pack and I'd worry about about the future having so many so close in age.

She looks super sweet
This is my only worry, but that was already addressed.

I could tell you not to, but frankly, I think you should. She is a CUTE little thing, and probably very drivey, like Rory and Emma. Most of the potential adopters who will want her are going to be the type who want a stuffed animal. . . not a Papillion. If you have the okay from Ian, she'd probably be much happier in your home than anywhere else. She would get tons of attention and training and be around other dogs all day. As long as that will not detract from the individual attention you give your dogs now, I think it's a great idea.

Quote:
I do always find it amusing that, at least in my experience, no one ever asks someone with multiple children 'How do you handle it, it's unfair to your older children?!" or "you're having another?!" when someone is pregnant. And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol. Kids are WAY more attention needing than dogs. My kid wasn't even out of swaddle age when people asked "when are you having more??" Ah...just the one, thank you.
I've asked it of people before, and have been chastised for my rudeness. I'll stand by it though. If you had a nasty, awful pregnancy or birth with tons of complications and tell me you're considering another one, I WILL ask you if you're nuts and get you to explain to me why that's a good idea. If you ever complain about not having enough time/money for anything and tell me you're considering another kid, I will point out the fallacy in your logic. In general, though, because it's considered so rude to question why someone wants to have kids, I don't ask strangers these types of things. . .
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post

I've asked it of people before, and have been chastised for my rudeness. I'll stand by it though. If you had a nasty, awful pregnancy or birth with tons of complications and tell me you're considering another one, I WILL ask you if you're nuts and get you to explain to me why that's a good idea.
On the subject of nasty difficult pregnancies, most of the time it's a one off thing. As in, each pregnancy is different. Both of mine were difficult, but for entirely different reasons. The doctor said I could have a third and that there was no reason I would have a repeat of the same problems of the first and second. It could go perfectly without a hitch, or I could have a whole other separate bunch of complications.

Basically people considering another one do it because it's worth 9 months of horrific suffering to have another child in their life. lol

Anyway, Jessie it sounds like if you guys are ready for another dog she'd make a good addition to your family.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Do it!

My boss has 10 aussies and a mixed breed, there...now 5 small dogs and a BC doesn't seem like much, does it

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Little dog, big voice

I think your home would be a great place for a Papillon, and just like the rest of the people on here, you seem like a great owner.

So, I agree with the responses posted here. I think she'd be thrilled to land such a nice home.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Everyone needs a papillon.
That.

Or five papillons.

I know I say this all the time but they're really just a great breed. I was trying to convince myself this morning that I really don't want another papillon. The papillon want always creeps back in. They are just that awesome.