Tell me I do not need a papillon

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Please tell me that adding a 6th dog would be insane.

I stopped at Petsmart over the weekend to pick up some things, and there was a rescue right by the front doors. One of the dogs was a 10 month old black and white papillon. She was SO sweet. I can't stop thinking about her :eek:

She gets along with other dogs, she's housebroken, and weighs (I'd guess) about 7lbs. Tall, lanky, and a good bit of coat.

Ian doesn't want a 6th dog, but we talked about it all weekend- I can get her if I want. We have the time, space, and money. The issue is that she'd be dog #6.

And because this thread is useless with pics, I'm going to get some posted in just a few.

Last edited:

SaraB

I have a huge want for a black and white papillon.... oozing with drive and awesomeness. One of the trainers at my school breeds them, I threaten to steal one every time I see her.

So, in short, get it. :D

milos_mommy

um, no, you don't NEED her.

But you want her, and she needs a home, and I'm sure you'd love her so much and she'd be tons and tons of fun, and you don't have a black and white one yet, and papillons are like frilly fancy little chihuahuas, and if you have six, three can go on each side of Rory in family pictures.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I love the paps at work, they're SO smart and SO biddable. They are however extremely fragile and wouldn't last at my house, you however have widdle dogs and they're unlikely to smoosh her. Just sayin'....

Doberluv

You do know you'll be getting another Border Collie, right? Hey, if you've thought it all out, the short run, the long run...and you want her badly, she needs a home, go for it. I couldn't do 6 dogs and maintain any semblance of sanity, but if you can, more power to you. And Ian. lol.

k9krazee

One thing that I'd worry about is she's only 10 months old & you already have such a young pack and I'd worry about about the future having so many so close in age.

She looks super sweet :)

milos_mommy

One thing that I'd worry about is she's only 10 months old & you already have such a young pack and I'd worry about about the future having so many so close in age.
They're not all very close in age...isn't Rylie 7 or 8? And isn't Chloe close to her age? And then Rory and Tucker and Emma are all very close (but they're around 3 or 4, right?)

I wouldn't worry about them being too close in age with a 10 month old puppy - I'd worry if she was the same age as the other younger ones, but it seems like a big enough difference to me.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
You do know you'll be getting another Border Collie, right? Hey, if you've thought it all out, the short run, the long run...and you want her badly, she needs a home, go for it. I couldn't do 6 dogs and maintain any semblance of sanity, but if you can, more power to you. And Ian. lol.
Sanity? What's that? :rofl1: As Jess can attest to, our house is actually pretty calm!

She looks super sweet :)
They're not all very close in age...isn't Rylie 7 or 8? And isn't Chloe close to her age? And then Rory and Tucker and Emma are all very close (but they're around 3 or 4, right?)

I wouldn't worry about them being too close in age with a 10 month old puppy - I'd worry if she was the same age as the other younger ones, but it seems like a big enough difference to me.
Yep! Rylie is 7, Chloe is almost 7... then Tucker turns 4 next month ( :yikes: ), Rory is 3, and Emma turns 3 in February. They're fairly well spaced out in age. Chihuahuas have such a wide range in ages for life expectancy- generally between 12 and 20 years old.

I've thought about that as well, and I've realized that's not so much of a worry with these breeds.

Six does sound like a crazy big number to me... however, the total of my current 5 only add up to about 54lbs! They're all adult dogs: each one at least knows basic commands, they're housebroken, I sweep the floors every day anyway, etc. Haha.

k9krazee

Sanity? What's that? :rofl1: As Jess can attest to, our house is actually pretty calm!

Yep! Rylie is 7, Chloe is almost 7... then Tucker turns 4 next month ( :yikes: ), Rory is 3, and Emma turns 3 in February. They're fairly well spaced out in age. Chihuahuas have such a wide range in ages for life expectancy- generally between 12 and 20 years old.

I've thought about that as well, and I've realized that's not so much of a worry with these breeds.

Six does sound like a crazy big number to me... however, the total of my current 5 only add up to about 54lbs! They're all adult dogs: each one at least knows basic commands, they're housebroken, I sweep the floors every day anyway, etc. Haha.
For some reason I thought Emma, Rory & Tucker were younger!

In that case, I think you need her :D

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Since most of your dogs are so widdle you will barely notice one more, right? :D

I mean the combined weights of all of them will be like having one 60lbs dog...perfectly sane...

She is a cutie!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I say go for it as long as you think you can handle another.

Honestly if I ever get a 4th dog while all my current three are still alive I'd prefer to get a smaller dog. Papillons are still on my want list or maybe a Podengo Pequeno.

But seriously.... I think you should definitely get her.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
6..... You're going to end up like the crazy lady who used to walk her pack of 11 mini dogs down the beach.... ;)

CaliTerp07

Personally, I wouldn't do it. After a certain point, every dog you bring home is just shrinking the attention the others get and it doesn't seem fair to me.

Everyone is different though. You know how much time/energy you have!

milos_mommy

I'd do it :p Six dogs is a lot if they're super super high energy, they don't all get along or have a lot of health issues or behavioral issues.

But I know a lot of people who have 6+ dogs, and they do very well.

Members online

No members online now.