Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Glutton for Crazy

There is no record of dogs sick or valid recalls except they catch things, as they should, before they get to the buyers?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
There is no record of dogs sick or valid recalls except they catch things, as they should, before they get to the buyers?
Post I made was here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...93#post2088393

And there's definitely plenty record of BB making dogs sick. Plenty of reviews out there that all come down the the same symptoms. You can search their public recall records on the FDA database.

But it's definitely not a food I would ever recommend due to these issues.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I respect your opinion but I don't consider those to be "crap food" worrisome. As for the consumer reports, while I do take them as important reporting, I won't stop a feed due to a smattering of complaints. I know a lot of dogs, personally, that get sick on Acana. My dogs, however, are on Acana.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I respect your opinion but I don't consider those to be "crap food" worrisome. As for the consumer reports, while I do take them as important reporting, I won't stop a feed due to a smattering of complaints. I know a lot of dogs, personally, that get sick on Acana. My dogs, however, are on Acana.
Acana, on the other hand, doesn't have recalls due to the problems people complain about. Quality control goes a long way, and just like Diamond, I'm not going to mess around with something like that.

Others are more than free to do their own research and take their own chances, of course.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Acana, on the other hand, doesn't have recalls due to the problems people complain about. Quality control goes a long way, and just like Diamond, I'm not going to mess around with something like that.

Others are more than free to do their own research and take their own chances, of course.
I agree with this.

Lily didn't do well on Acana and that was the final straw for us going to prey model raw really. But Scout did the best on it of any kibble out there. Granted I also saw huge positive changes going raw with her.

Still would never stop me from recommnding Acana/Orijen or using it for a foster.

The quality control issues with BB really don't shock me and I really think they are grossly overpriced for what the food is. That last to me is the clincher.

I've not been impressed with NV Instinct kibble the times I've tried it either, but it works for a lot of people. *shrug*
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
and Fozzie B!

Well... my dog almost died of HGE and cost $3000 in vet bills while eating only Orijen senior. Not even any treats. I also personally know 3 people whose dogs, from age 6 months to 5 years, nearly died of HGE symptoms on Orijen. Personal experiences shape your opinions. But the fact is - BB has been around much longer than Orijen and serves many more customers, and I've yet to hear of a bad experience with the food or a recall. And the ingredients speak for themselves. Far from crap food.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Well... my dog almost died of HGE and cost $3000 in vet bills while eating only Orijen senior. Not even any treats. I also personally know 3 people whose dogs, from age 6 months to 5 years, nearly died of HGE symptoms on Orijen. Personal experiences shape your opinions. But the fact is - BB has been around much longer than Orijen and serves many more customers, and I've yet to hear of a bad experience with the food or a recall. And the ingredients speak for themselves. Far from crap food.
So... dogs have an illness, that has not been proven to be caused by food, so we blame the food they're eating?

Hell, Renegade nearly died on almost every brand of kibble around.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM
and Fozzie B!

I would say that's a very strange coincidence.... especially with dogs who had no issue with any other food. Either way, it made me biased against Orijen to experience that and heart about so many other cases of out at the same time. Champion offered no explanation or apologies, didn't even care at all, which was also bothersome.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Well, they offered no explanation cause there IS no explanation. What did you want them to explain? Why something that vets don't even know why it happens happened?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Well, they offered no explanation cause there IS no explanation. What did you want them to explain? Why something that vets don't even know why it happens happened?
Yes, as opposed to BB which vets DID confirm that it was causing dogs to get sick and die, and they had several cases months in advice before the recall was pushed.