Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

There is no record of dogs sick or valid recalls except they catch things, as they should, before they get to the buyers?
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
There is no record of dogs sick or valid recalls except they catch things, as they should, before they get to the buyers?
Post I made was here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...93#post2088393

And there's definitely plenty record of BB making dogs sick. Plenty of reviews out there that all come down the the same symptoms. You can search their public recall records on the FDA database.

But it's definitely not a food I would ever recommend due to these issues.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

I respect your opinion but I don't consider those to be "crap food" worrisome. As for the consumer reports, while I do take them as important reporting, I won't stop a feed due to a smattering of complaints. I know a lot of dogs, personally, that get sick on Acana. My dogs, however, are on Acana.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I respect your opinion but I don't consider those to be "crap food" worrisome. As for the consumer reports, while I do take them as important reporting, I won't stop a feed due to a smattering of complaints. I know a lot of dogs, personally, that get sick on Acana. My dogs, however, are on Acana.
Acana, on the other hand, doesn't have recalls due to the problems people complain about. Quality control goes a long way, and just like Diamond, I'm not going to mess around with something like that.

Others are more than free to do their own research and take their own chances, of course.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
monkeys23's Avatar
monkeys23 monkeys23 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Acana, on the other hand, doesn't have recalls due to the problems people complain about. Quality control goes a long way, and just like Diamond, I'm not going to mess around with something like that.

Others are more than free to do their own research and take their own chances, of course.
I agree with this.

Lily didn't do well on Acana and that was the final straw for us going to prey model raw really. But Scout did the best on it of any kibble out there. Granted I also saw huge positive changes going raw with her.

Still would never stop me from recommnding Acana/Orijen or using it for a foster.

The quality control issues with BB really don't shock me and I really think they are grossly overpriced for what the food is. That last to me is the clincher.

I've not been impressed with NV Instinct kibble the times I've tried it either, but it works for a lot of people. *shrug*
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
ihartgonzo's Avatar
ihartgonzo ihartgonzo is offline
and Fozzie B!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,903
Default

Well... my dog almost died of HGE and cost $3000 in vet bills while eating only Orijen senior. Not even any treats. I also personally know 3 people whose dogs, from age 6 months to 5 years, nearly died of HGE symptoms on Orijen. Personal experiences shape your opinions. But the fact is - BB has been around much longer than Orijen and serves many more customers, and I've yet to hear of a bad experience with the food or a recall. And the ingredients speak for themselves. Far from crap food.
__________________


<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Well... my dog almost died of HGE and cost $3000 in vet bills while eating only Orijen senior. Not even any treats. I also personally know 3 people whose dogs, from age 6 months to 5 years, nearly died of HGE symptoms on Orijen. Personal experiences shape your opinions. But the fact is - BB has been around much longer than Orijen and serves many more customers, and I've yet to hear of a bad experience with the food or a recall. And the ingredients speak for themselves. Far from crap food.
So... dogs have an illness, that has not been proven to be caused by food, so we blame the food they're eating?

Hell, Renegade nearly died on almost every brand of kibble around.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM
ihartgonzo's Avatar
ihartgonzo ihartgonzo is offline
and Fozzie B!
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,903
Default

I would say that's a very strange coincidence.... especially with dogs who had no issue with any other food. Either way, it made me biased against Orijen to experience that and heart about so many other cases of out at the same time. Champion offered no explanation or apologies, didn't even care at all, which was also bothersome.
__________________


<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,123
Default

Well, they offered no explanation cause there IS no explanation. What did you want them to explain? Why something that vets don't even know why it happens happened?
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Well, they offered no explanation cause there IS no explanation. What did you want them to explain? Why something that vets don't even know why it happens happened?
Yes, as opposed to BB which vets DID confirm that it was causing dogs to get sick and die, and they had several cases months in advice before the recall was pushed.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site