Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 AM
and Fozzie B!

When I worked at a Petsmart Pet Hotel, tons of clients would bring their dogs in and were shocked the the store didn't carry Orijen. I referred them to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and ALL of them were much happier with the food and the price, especially clients with puppies! Their puppy formula seems to work really well. So I'd go with that. You might even like the results better.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Top Dog

Definitly would never suggest BB. Crap food, horrible company.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Shippo used to be on BB Wilderness when he was a puppy but I switched to Orijen after reading many comments/claims about BB lacking in the QA department. Whether it's true or not is something I never found out but I decided to err on the side of caution and avoid BB. I switched Shippo to Acana for awhile but I switched back to Orijen when I got the new puppy and I will never feed them anything else. If at some point the Orijen doesn't agree with her then I'll switch to Acana since it's not as rich but I definitely prefer it over BB and I used to prefer BB when I had my last Corgi. Go figure (but then I didn't know about Champion Petfoods when I had her).
Old 12-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

Yes, Blue Buffalo may be cheaper than Orijen/Acana, and yes, it is more readily available, but I would never suggest Blue Buffalo over Orijen/Acana - the quality of the ingredients and the integrity of the company are nowhere near similar. You're getting what you pay for, essentially.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

I personally am not a fan of BB. But my former foster is eating BBW Salmon and looks fine. Eh, still better than grocery store food so whatevs.

Fromm, Earthborn Holistic, and Go! are much better food options IMO.

My cat eats Wellness Core. Its ridiculously expensive, but its the food she does best on. I'm not super happy the food is made in an American Nutrition plant, but she won't eat raw and was really picky about the Acana/Orijen I tried with her a couple years ago, so sticking with Core for her for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Yes, Blue Buffalo may be cheaper than Orijen/Acana, and yes, it is more readily available, but I would never suggest Blue Buffalo over Orijen/Acana - the quality of the ingredients and the integrity of the company are nowhere near similar. You're getting what you pay for, essentially.
Exactly, and it's not even that. So many dogs get deathly ill over their foods and their quality control sucks. It's way overpriced for what it is, and you're more likely to spend even more money on vet fees afterwards. They NEED to be taken off the shelves, but they keep buying their way out of claims and recalls filed by the FDA.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

What about BB makes them "crap"?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What about BB makes them "crap"?
Lack of quality control. It talks the talk with a pretty bag full of ingredients, but they definitely have had a LOT of issues with quality control over the years, and not just the Vit D recall, but others they've managed to keep under the table as well by pulling early to avoid getting pulled into another "volun-told" recall like the Vit D one. It's why a lot of dogs get sick on the food. They can't keep it shelf stable and it varies a lot from batch to batch. They've gotten into claims battles with false advertising, too.

You can find all the info online, typically. It just never hits the media. This is why I say it's important to know the COMPANY and not just the label on the bag.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Can you post the links to these recalls? Their cost, over inflated, turned me away from their food but I would love proof, over hear say about their quality.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Can you post the links to these recalls? Their cost, over inflated, turned me away from their food but I would love proof, over hear say about their quality.
They aren't technical recalls, since the Reps are simply instructed to pull certain batches from the shelves. And no one actually makes public record of the routine analysis of the food, unfortunately. There's another thread around here I posted in and gave out all the info I could, though. I'll see if I can find it.