Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM
The Monster.

Thanks for the opinions guys! I spent the weekend surrounded by a number of PowerTripp BCs, as well as a few out of TNT lines (I think). They're all awesome dogs. Something that a friend mentioned is that most of the BCs who were there this weekend were "smart" ones. I know that sounds dumb, but hear me out. They were all fast as anything and super drivey, but they weren't the type to lose their minds when they got high (there was one or two there who were more of the "dumb" variety who have trouble thinking with all the excitement too). I don't know exactly how nature vs nurture works in this situation, but I've come to realize that a dog who keeps his brain on him at all times is going to be important to me going forward.

My friend with a Powertripp BC was saying that he was a bit too soft for her liking. I'm sure it varies from litter to litter, but how soft/hard headed do people find the dogs from various breeders? I want a dog who's confident and focused while working, and definitely not a worrier.

Any more thoughts on all my random postings? :P I know I'm not exactly being cohesive. Thanks!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog

Last edited by Sekah; 12-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Thanks for the opinions guys! I spent the weekend surrounded by a number of PowerTripp BCs, as well as a few out of TNT lines (I think). They're all awesome dogs. Something that a friend mentioned is that most of the BCs who were there this weekend were "smart" ones. I know that sounds dumb, but hear me out. They were all fast as anything and super drivey, but they weren't the type to lose their minds when they got high (there was one or two there who were more of the "dumb" variety who have trouble thinking with all the excitement too). I don't know exactly how nature vs nurture works in this situation, but I've come to realize that a dog who keeps his brain on him at all times is going to be important to me going forward.

My friend with a Powertripp BC was saying that he was a bit too soft for her liking. I'm sure it varies from litter to litter, but how soft/hard headed to people find the dogs from various breeders? I want a dog who's confident and focused while working, and definitely not a worrier.

Any more thoughts on all my random postings? :P I know I'm not exactly being cohesive. Thanks!
When I was breeder hunting, I spoke with the breeder of TNT dogs as well as met a ton of their offspring at various agility events. Some were good levels of drive, and some were off. The. Wall. I know that her dogs are some of the highest-drive dogs bred in the province, and many have troubles with an off-switch. But I have no idea how much of that is nature vs. nurture. Her breeding dogs have great temperaments and, while super mega drivey, seem to settle well as well (I've only ever seen them at events).

PowerTripp was high on my list for awhile, but she rubbed me the wrong way when we got to talking. Nothing against her or her dogs, just didn't click with me.

I still think a working-bred BC might be right up your alley.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I've seen enough TnT ones at AAC trials. Even people with long-term BC experience can be frustrated for seemingly years with the drive they end up with. Drive isn't a bad thing. I'd go after something with working drive rather than what I'd consider a sporter collie.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Silence, peasants.

I'm not sure how far Creekside Border Colllies is from Ontario, but I've heard great things about them too. They breed for working dogs, but they also participate in agility with some of their dogs so they know what they 'need' to be sports dogs and a lot of their puppies go into sports homes. If they weren't across the border, I would be considering them for sure.

I wouldn't call dogs previously described it over the top with drive, so much as easily overstimulated. That's not something I would want in a dog, and if you want a dog that is inclined to settle well, I personally would stay away from completely sports breedings because I think being able to be a nice pet is forgotten from the equation too frequently and it makes me wary.

Although it is hard to tell if it is nature or nurture, I see a lot of people encouraging their dog's obsessive behavior because they think it's funny, etc., so it might be that is the case.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I wouldn't call dogs previously described it over the top with drive, so much as easily overstimulated.
yup.

That's how Steve is and it's a real pita.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
The Monster.

Thanks again guys. You're helping me figure out the language to use to properly communicate what I'm looking for from a breeder. Cheers.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm All Ears

I've looked into a few of these breeders. Haven't actually met any dogs from them but I have heard good things overall about the Powertripp dogs.

One of the frustrating things in BCs, imo, is how many people are out there breeding so focused on one specific thing. Maybe I just don't know where to look but so many breeders seem to focus on just flyball or just stock work or just conformation.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

It also depends on the dog, how they're handled and trained, and so on.

With a lot of high drive dogs, if they haven't been taught to use self control, or the owner is a screaming nutcase running after them and not handling them well, then they'll think for themselves and run a course. You have to look though and see if the handler stops and gets their dog, or just tries to run, and that sort of thing too. How is the dog off the agility course, are they relaxed and cool or on their hind legs screaming from place to place? How old the dog is helps to give insight too.

It's certainly something to ask breeders about anyway. One of the reasons I'm hoping to use Ticket with Kilt is because they are different lines and while she's a bit more 'sucky' of a dog he's a tougher 'whatever' kind of dog. Took him five tries of pulling the spoon out of my hand today to get that I wasn't letting go of it for him to get all the yogurt. LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm not sure how far Creekside Border Colllies is from Ontario, but I've heard great things about them too.
Creekside Border Collies are my absolute favorite I know quite a few of them well, and know the breeder a bit. If my friend ever breeds her male from there, I will be living out of my car so I don't have to deal with my condos 2-dog limit, and selling my soul so I can have a puppy. He's pretty much my favorite dog ever other than my own (and some days he might move ahead of Gusto ).

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Merlie Girlie!

I have met plenty of Powertripp and TNT dogs.

Right now PT is planning a litter between Shayde (a Rival kennel bred dog) and Imp. Jim. Jim is smooth and Shayde doesn't have much coat, so you won't be dealing with gobs of hair. It should be an excellent breeding. They don't breed very often, and I don't know if they even have room on their current list. PT lines main sire has produced epilepsy - the breeder discloses this - but the breeding occurring now is entirely unrelated to that male. Every PT I've met was soft over hard, but not excessively soft. They were outgoing, social and happy dogs.
PM me if you want further information or have specific questions.

The TNT dogs were all owned by experience flyball and agility owners, and while nice, they are not a kennel I would seek out for a first time BC owner. Those dogs were high off their rocker and peel off the ceiling... not something I would want personally. Still happy, outgoing dogs with great structure.

Although you specified a specific region, other Canadian breeders I would consider are Moyhall Farm, Creekside Border Collies, and MarCar Border Collies.

Good luck.