Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
It says they get them from shelters, rescues and private people rehoming dogs. They also mention they hope to work out a deal to place service dog washouts. One could easily find plenty of dogs in my area to take and rehome in this manner. Especially with popular breeds and mixes.
3 month toy and designer dog puppies? Almost every dog on their site is some sort of desirable breed puppy.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
SBT Lover!!

What sent her running, Shenteal says, was what happened when she asked whether she would still be bound to the contract if a Chihuahua died.

***8220;You can mail the carcass back to us, and then you can get out of the contract,***8221; Shenteal recalls staff telling her.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

It's certainly something different. I think the concept is unique and possibly a great idea. I can see where the execution could make it a horrible idea. I think it could be a great idea for families. Instead of getting a lab mix puppy for you children for Christmas, only to find out it's an ill-suited match, you get to test run the dog to make sure you can handle it. If they do just take dogs from shelters/rescues/similar organizations then that's also another plus. Besides the legal jargon, what are the concerns? Is it the way this company has it set up or is the idea in general?

A concern I have would be the happiness of the dogs. Some breeds/dogs never really make good impressions. I would hope the dog wouldn't be a 'loaner' forever. Or people may not want to work with a dog because they don't have to try. If Gwen was in a situation like this, I doubt she would find a home for a while. Her anxiety issues cost quite a bit of time and money. I didn't read through all FAQs but I'm hoping the 'owners' would have some kind of screening as well as the dog. Make sure they know how to take care of the dog (general dog info), mandatory training sessions, etc. The guy does seem a bit creepy, though. (And I get that he wants to honor his mom, but reading the article and the dogs constantly being referred to as "Hannah Pet's" is annoying.)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
3 month toy and designer dog puppies? Almost every dog on their site is some sort of desirable breed puppy.
There's a rescue here like that, they buy puppies from dog auctions. Controversial for sure but it is what it is. There's quite a few breed specific rescues that do that as well around here. I wouldn't be surprised if Hannah isn't getting puppies from breeders too though. Still, it's a bit of an improvement on the typical pet store selling puppies in that they stay involved in the puppy's life and take them back if they don't work out.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

Given the guy who started it, this is intended as a profit making venture. He wouldn't be involved otherwise. And I'm really skeptical about the claims of getting the dogs from shelters, so the thing seems pretty shady.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

You can do the exact same thing for free.

It's called fostering.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Glutton for Crazy

The inability to dictate medical treatments is scary.

The guy sounds like most master businessmen I've known, ruthless and smart with an ample amount of shady and selfish thrown in.

I'll have to check this out for intrigue sake.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

I think it could be a really good idea (it honestly doesn't sound all that much different than foster-to-adopt) for me: but this specific business/organization/whatever seems super sketchy.

I don't think it's weird that they have a lot of small breed puppies. There are tons of them in rescue around here. People breed them all the time thinking they'll sell fast because they're cute, can't sell them because everyone's breeding them, can't handle raising six 7 week old pups, and dump the entire little of shipoo chicav morkie whatevers at the shelter.

Plus, there are puppy mill busts all the time, and they're selling mostly toy breeds and toy mixes - the bigger no kill shelters here often get trucks of 20-50 pomeranian/chihuahua/papillons/shih tzus/small terriers from down south. Like probably 2 or 3x a year it happens.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw View Post
You can do the exact same thing for free.

It's called fostering.
Exactly.