Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM
<--------Orson

My preference is desktop DEFINITELY!! (she said posting from her nook tablet, rofl)

We have a couple tablets, a netbook, couple laptops, and a couple desktops (big busy family) and my preference always leans towards the desktop. The speed is the deciding factor for me.....nothing in this house comes close to the speed of my quad core HP.

Plus, laptop touch pads always annoy me, lol

As for operating system, my desktop has vista. The other dekstop here has windows 7.....I think kevin has 8 on his laptop. They are all ok to me...no real preference. I thought I hated vista when it first came out....turns out vista was fine, I just hated the slow a** dell it came with! LoL
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post

As for operating system, my desktop has vista. The other dekstop here has windows 7.....I think kevin has 8 on his laptop. They are all ok to me...no real preference. I thought I hated vista when it first came out....turns out vista was fine, I just hated the slow a** dell it came with! LoL
There are several Windows based computers I wind up having to use and switch back and forth between Vista, 7, Pro and whatever it was before Vista. I really can't tell that much difference, but admittedly I don't do much beyond undoing whatever The Overlords have managed to screw up or pull up the net and just keep my hand in so I'm not lost if I wind up with a job where I have to use one again.

A lot of it really does have to be what you're used to and what you want to do on a computer. Since I just want to sit down and have the machine do what I want without having to go through a bunch of tutorials to learn it (not big on reading directions ) Nikki and Mit enabling me to make the switch is something I'm forever grateful for.

Maybe, Dober, you're doing what I was doing when I switched, and expecting the new system to be more complicated than it is?

Wonder if there's any information on a site that will give you comparisons on what's different?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I haven't played much with Windows 8, but it does have a desktop like older versions of Windows. I don't really like Windows phones, so I'm not really sold on the whole live tiles thing, lol. You can get the normal Start Menu back and have it boot into the regular desktop, though.

I have Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro. I think Office 2011 is annoying, so I have Windows 7 installed just so I can boot into Windows and I can use Office 2010.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Jerk.

I played with 8 when it was still in beta, not much since. I understand what they are trying to do and one up Apple at the same time. Ubuntu Linux is trying to do the same thing, only they are farther ahead of both MS and Apple. One operating system across all platforms, mobile, desktop, and gaming. If 8 takes off we will see more touch screens on both desktop and laptop as well as more gaming friendly options for the OS with the XBox. The same experience across all devices. Same thing Apple is trying to do with OS and iOS.

My dislikes with the 8 on a desktop is its too touch centric, the beta allowed a registry trick to bring back the traditional Win desktop and start menu. I dont know if that is still there.

My other big dislike for Win8 is it is going walled garden the way OS and iOS have.

The Apple motto, steal great ideas.

With the countdown on XP being unsupported is it time for another OS poll?

Is Apple going to sue me for using OS, and iOS in this post?

ETA: Ubuntu is trying to use their OS on a TV platform as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 PM
aka RedHotBabe

You can still get Windows 8 to boot into the traditional desktop and get the Start menu back.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
This isn't a Mac Vs Windows debate. We all know who takes their MacLove entirely too far.
*Like*

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
You can still get Windows 8 to boot into the traditional desktop and get the Start menu back.
Do you still have to hack the registry to get the traditional desktop, or did they make it easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Well, little by little, I think I'm getting onto it Skittle. My son got one too and he is way better at figuring this stuff than I am. He keeps saying that I just have to keep experimenting and reading those tutorials. He says it's like the Droid Incredible 4 G phone...one of the "baddest" phones....can do anything...they're striving for lots of multi tasking. So, if I discover anything earth shaking, I'll let you know too. Have you tried the voice recognition yet? There's a way to connect it to the TV/security system/phone...anything pretty much...all linked, all intuitive, all as one. If only I was as smart...
Voice recognition??? Really???? I seriously need to read a darn tutorial.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Voice recognition??? Really???? I seriously need to read a darn tutorial.
It may depend on the computer you have....if it has that.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

My new computer has windows 8, and I'm slowly getting used to it. I'm sort of 'meh' about it. We'll see. It's not hard to use, it's just slightly different.