Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
My ideal breeder apparently has no life outside of their puppies.
  • Someone I trust
  • Health tests
  • Takes amazing pictures
  • Avoids kennel blindness
  • Has no spay/neuter contract
  • Answers all my inquires fast and with lots and lots of detail.
  • Stands by their dogs
  • Feeds a well formulated raw diet
  • Minimal vaccines
  • Easy to communicate with
  • Works their dogs
  • Competes in sports (or buyers go off to do well in sports)
  • Temperament tests and matches dogs
  • Does all the fun environmental exposure stuff and socializing
  • Supportive
  • Most of all has dogs I love and produces dogs I love.
Pretty much this.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm All Ears

This is more for the breeds I am interested in for Nextdog.

- Breeds dogs that can work or perform in some aspect. I am really looking more for working temperament and working drive than any one particular sport. I think if you've got drive and the right temperament then you should have a dog that can compete well enough in whatever I want to do

- Breeds dogs with a sense of the whole dog rather than just one aspect. I got very frustrated with the amount of breeders that breed just for herding trials or just flyball or just conformation. I know people are sometimes wary of the 'do it all' dogs but I realize it is very important to me that my breeder is focused on a well rounded dog.

- Does not breed dogs with health problems, which is a no brainer but I've seen it enough. Of course most of that is not something the breeder will say outright which makes it tricky

- Does all necessary health tests for their breed. Has a good understanding of dog health and genetics

- Does not breed merle x merle or to a double merle stud (not applicable in all breeds but is applicable in all 3 I've looked at for Nextdog)

- Will let me register AKC. No compromise there. I live in an area where AKC is the one choice for agility.

- Parents have titles or are actual working dogs. Videos of the dogs working/see them in person are very much preferred.

- Will let me wait on altering until after 2 years or even better will let me choose when/if to alter

- Does not require me to feed anything in specific or follow any specific vaccination protocols. I want to decide that for myself. They can recommend but no contracts.

- Is very willing to talk to me about the how and why of specific pairings.

- Very knowledgeable on the breed.

- Has pups/relative competing in sports is a bonus

- Makes sure they match dogs to homes as well as possible and also stands by their dogs they produce.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Obey the Toad.

I did forget to list contract details. I don't want to be told how I must train or feed the pup. I have no interest in keeping a perminently intact dog unless it will be seriously competed with, but I do want the freedom to wait until the dog is mature to alter.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My perfect, ideal, mythical breeder:
- breeds a well balanced dog, physically and mentally
- preforms at least the bare minimum health tests (OFA, CERF, and other breed specific testing such as PRA; not as worried about EIC, thyroid, etc.)
- has titles on both end of the dog
- socializes the puppies from day one, starts crate training/housebreaking, introduces to new environments/gunshots/water/etc.
- requires just as much discrimination in breeding their bitches as they do their dogs
- stands by their dogs, especially by their health (aka, offers a very nice health guarantee)
- doesn't require a S/N contract, doesn't require yearly vaccines, doesn't require X food be fed, etc., etc...
- easy to get in touch with, communicates in a timely fashion, isn't afraid to answer your questions and gives you straight answers without beating around the bush
- knows their dogs and their breedings to tell me if they will be producing what I want, and then help me pick out the puppy that would be best suited for me

And this wouldn't be an issue if I weren't a student just starting out in life, but I can't afford to spend a lot on the initial purchase price of a pup, so unfortunately I'm having to really narrow my search by the price their asking...I'm really hoping to find a dog in the $500-$800 range. Not the $1000-$1500 range.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~