Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
The Monster.

Lightbulb Thoughts on Border Collie breeders in/near Ontario?

I'd like people's opinions on Border Collie breeders in Ontario (or outside Ontario, if they're something really special).

These are the breeders who were linked to me by my agility instructor:

http://www.eweniquebordercollies.com/home.cfm (He has a dog from this breeder, and likes her a lot.)

http://www.powertripp.org/home.cfm (I know a lot of very nice dogs from this kennel, but they may be a little too prolific.)

http://www.tntbordercollies.com/ (These people seem to be breeding really high end sporter collies which may be a bit beyond my ability for the time being.)

I'm looking for a dog who, first and foremost, has a stable temperament. Ideally there would be minimal dog reactivity and no fear issues. The dog would have to have a good off switch, assuming it gets sufficient exercise each day. I'm willing to have a bit more low-key, less drivey BC if it means gaining this stability. The dog would have to be able to operate well in the presence of other dogs.

I would want to use the dog primarily for agility, competitive obedience and flyball. I don't need to be the best of the best of the best, but I do want to be competitive at the higher levels of each sport. I want a velcro do. I think I'd want a male, and I'd prefer him to be relatively small (not over 40 lbs, I guess?).

This potential future puppy will be a good few years off, but I'm kind of excited about the whole research process.

What are people's thoughts on the above breeders? Can you share any other names/websites I should scope out? Are there any details I've forgotten to include?

Thanks!

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Water Junkie

If I were choosing, I would pursue Ewenique Farm. They seem like a good, down to earth breeder who uses their dogs on the farm, but also trials and health tests.

And to be really honest, I personally would not pursue PowerTripp for the simple fact that I generally do not like the massive coats all those dogs are sporting. They do seem like they have a good mix of working and sporting ability in each of their dogs, if that's what you're looking for.

You could check out this link, too:

http://www.littlehats.net/wannabe/breedlist-ne.html

If you'd like, you can brave asking on the BC Boards. However, I'd just ask, get some links from folks, and leave it at that.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

http://www.borderlyneagility.com Is another one I'd check out.

PM'd you with info, but coat is coat, it's just there and not something I'd pick or not pick based over. You can have a nice dog under that coat, or a train wreck...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Silence, peasants.

I've heard Mary Thompson of Hawk's Landing Border Collies is a good breeder, they're working dogs. I know she had a litter born around the 1st of November so ready in January, if you're interested in sooner rather than later. She's in London, Ontario. I'm pretty sure someone on here has a BC from her, so you could ask what they're like.

I don't know much about the other breeders, sorry.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I've heard Mary Thompson of Hawk's Landing Border Collies is a good breeder, they're working dogs. I know she had a litter born around the 1st of November so ready in January, if you're interested in sooner rather than later. She's in London, Ontario. I'm pretty sure someone on here has a BC from her, so you could ask what they're like.
Oh, doh! I didn't realize she was in Ontario. Yes, definitely go to her! AllieMackie's Finn is from her!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Oh, doh! I didn't realize she was in Ontario. Yes, definitely go to her! AllieMackie's Finn is from her!
what more of a reason would one want?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Just try me..

One of the breeders I really like doesn't seem to have a webpage. She used to breed JRTs and now for years she has bred working type BCs.

But I think Finn is pretty nifty
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
what more of a reason would one want?
Haha. However everything I've heard from Allie about the breeder and the stat's I've seen from trialing the breeder has done, well, I guess that's just icing on the cake? lol

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Wookie Collie

Mary produces wonderful dogs. Finn's sire, HL's Coal, was National Reserve Champion at the Grass Creek finals (IIRC) in 2011!

Finnegan a fabulous dog, and great specimen of the working BC. Easygoing, but biddable and raring to work when needed. EXCELLENT off switch when he hit maturity around age two. He has some quirks and the odd obsession, but they're due to situational problems, not his breeding. I am more than pleased with his breeding and would happily go to her again if I wanted another breeder-BC.

She's easy to talk to and was very welcoming. We're in touch every few months with photo updates and emails, four years after getting Finnegan.

Ewenique Farms has my vote too, though. She's Finn's herding trainer and produces excellent dogs as well.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM
overdogged

Bean's out of one of PowerTripp's dogs, though not a dog she bred. And yes, entirely too hairy.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?