Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #671  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
no you should not.
Would it be bad to disclose that you are pregnant? Won't the employer eventually find out? Wouldn't it also be considered predijuce if rhey didn't hire her only for the reason she is pregnant?

I'm curious because I'm not familiar with the laws in that aspect
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #672  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is offline
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Would it be bad to disclose that you are pregnant? Won't the employer eventually find out? Wouldn't it also be considered predijuce if rhey didn't hire her only for the reason she is pregnant?

I'm curious because I'm not familiar with the laws in that aspect
it would be considered prejudice to not hire her because she was pregnant however it would be very easy to just say "well we found a more qualified candidate" or "you just aren't quite what we are looking for" and leave the pregnancy out of it. once hired it wouldn't be so easy to just get rid of her because she's pregnant
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #673  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

IOC a little "constructive deception" lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #674  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
it would be considered prejudice to not hire her because she was pregnant however it would be very easy to just say "well we found a more qualified candidate" or "you just aren't quite what we are looking for" and leave the pregnancy out of it. once hired it wouldn't be so easy to just get rid of her because she's pregnant
That's what I thought as well. So what do I do? Just continue with pregnancy and say nothing? Eventually they're going to see the bump...lol.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #675  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
That's what I thought as well. So what do I do? Just continue with pregnancy and say nothing? Eventually they're going to see the bump...lol.
A lot of employers don't want you to tell them because it opens them up to discrimination accusations if they don't hire you for whatever reason. Just like they don't want to know what church you attend (or not), sexual orientation, etc.

If someone does hire you, just work hard and do a good job. When you start to show you can bring up that you want to make a plan for maternity leave. I interviewed once and got hired, was three months pregnant and barely showing so thought he didn't notice. As soon as he said, "you're hired!" he asked me when I was due and wanted to make a maternity leave plan. He said it was illegal for him to ask before hiring, but he knew I was right for the job so it worked out.
Reply With Quote
  #676  
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

That's cool you found a good employer that was willing to work with you, ESP when ther are so many unfair ones out there.

Here in my profession they won't hire you of you are pregnant but that's just bc of the hazards of asking with horses (I mean look what happened to me a few months back & I am experienced & still got badly kicked :/)
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #677  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Here in my profession they won't hire you of you are pregnant but that's just bc of the hazards of asking with horses (I mean look what happened to me a few months back & I am experienced & still got badly kicked :/)
So if they did hire you while you were pregnant, and then found out, they would legally need to move you to a safer position (even if it's for less pay, they NEED to keep you on - as office staff, custodial work, or so on). I'd hope not too many pregnant people would apply for a job that they physically can't safely do, but I'm sure plenty of them do.

But no, if you're not clearly visibly pregnant, you should not disclose that you are during a job interview, both for your sake to get hired and for the employer's sake, so there are no potential discrimination cases.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #678  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,570
Default

Has anyone else dealt with fainting in pregnancy? I know it's fairly common - but yesterday I fainted at the vet's office. Usually if I feel faint, I just lie down and I've passed out like twice, but both times I was already sitting on lying on the couch.

I don't know what happened at the vet's office, I felt really hot and lightheaded while Milo was being examined and stepped out of the room. I got disoriented and stepped into the other empty exam room to sit on a stool, and woke up on the floor. I don't think I fell very hard - I must have tried to sit on the floor before I fainted, because I wasn't sore at all. I hate eaten not long before that, and I think I was drinking enough water...I don't know. My blood pressure was normal at the doctor the day before.

I'm also really, really, REALLY hoping I just fainted, and didn't have a seizure, because the last seizure I had was in March, and if I do have seizures while pregnant, I need to go back on seizure medication which isn't very safe during pregnancy I'm going to the neurologist soon.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #679  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

No, no like if I was already working for a trainer & became pregnant no I wouldn't tell them right away but I don't honk I would handle the horses or be around them (unless they were safe or whatever because not every race horse is fruit loops lol) but the direct handling would have to stop of course, but there is always things to do in a barn hat don't require handling horses.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #680  
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
No, no like if I was already working for a trainer & became pregnant no I wouldn't tell them right away but I don't honk I would handle the horses or be around them (unless they were safe or whatever because not every race horse is fruit loops lol) but the direct handling would have to stop of course, but there is always things to do in a barn hat don't require handling horses.
if you already have the job and it's too physically demanding or unsafe to do while pregnant, then you definitely should tell you employer right away. There is no reason not to once you're employed, unless they (illegally) fire you they aren't at risk for a lawsuit and they legally can't fire you - and they need to know if you need to moved to a safer position.

The only reason someone already employed would want to not tell their employer is the same reasons they wouldn't tell coworkers, friends, or family members - mainly risk of miscarriage.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site