Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Yeah I watched Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark? since I was really little, can't remember how young. We watched Steven King movies when we were 9-10 (bathrooms were scary scary places until we worked up the nerve to watch the second half of IT)... I definitely saw Jurassic Park when I was young, my dad bought it for me when I was in single digits... dinosaurs, why not right?? And I remember seeing the Ring in theatres when I was 11, I think it was rated 14A.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Yeah I watched Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark? since I was really little, can't remember how young. We watched Steven King movies when we were 9-10... I definitely saw Jurassic Park when I was young, my dad bought it for me when I was in single digits... dinosaurs, why not right?? And I remember seeing the Ring in theatres when I was 11, I think it was rated 14A.
I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark. I watched it every week.

Do any of you remember those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books? The ones with the REALLY scary illustrations? Those were my favorite books when I was 7 or 8 years old.

http://tuneinrockon.wordpress.com/20...l-in-the-dark/

The illustrations were by far the scariest things about those books. 20 years later, this is STILL terrifying:

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

HAHA yes I do!!! The elementary school library had them but I think they were quasi-restricted. I was actually looking at those not to long ago. I think they got the idea for "Closet Girl" from The Ring from those books
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

Yes and no. I don't really censor but we do not have cable do that helps. I worry more about commercials than anything. I am very open with my children and like tem to be exposed to a lot of things but I do feel certain shows and movies are not appropriate for a 5 and 6 year old. Books, no. If they are capable of reading it go for it.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
HAHA yes I do!!! The elementary school library had them but I think they were quasi-restricted. I was actually looking at those not to long ago. I think they got the idea for "Closet Girl" from The Ring from those books
Our 2nd grade music teacher ended up getting in big trouble for reading stories to our class from them. A bunch of kids ended up telling their parents how scary the stories were, and he was almost fired over it.

I'm suprised my parents let me read them, but I guess they thought they were like any other scary story book (I had a bunch of books with scary short stories- I loved them as a kid!).

It seems like every kid remembers those books, which is surprising that so many parents let their kids read them.

ETA: Closet girl from The Ring gave me nightmares. I can still picture her. lol.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Taxiderpy

What makes me mad is when they run very adult commercials between 3 pm and 8 pm, DURING FREAKING KID'S SHOWS.

I was watching some animated children's movie with her and a commercial for genital herpes medication came on. I mean, seriously people can't that at least air during a grown up movie or a little later in the evening? This is why at our old house I didn't have cable. When I get my own place again, cable is going in the toilet.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

ow just realized there was a second part to this ,

yes to an extent i do censor the thing the kids watch , caleb can not watch wrestling or anything to out there . (he tends to take movies as facts , ask him and he will tell you he is part werewolf.)

Jacob and Torie can watch anything , even though they really never sit long enough to watch.

Ginnie is scared of EVERYTHING! I really watch what she watches as she will FREAK OUT FREAK OUT , there is a show called oobie that has a talking hands as main people and she will run screaming terrified out of her wits from it. we had to block nick jr due to it coming on. She is a very very scary child. took her over 6 months to like riding in the truck without freaking and puking.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
Ginnie is scared of EVERYTHING! I really watch what she watches as she will FREAK OUT FREAK OUT , there is a show called oobie that has a talking hands as main people and she will run screaming terrified out of her wits from it. we had to block nick jr due to it coming on. She is a very very scary child. took her over 6 months to like riding in the truck without freaking and puking.
that's understandable. I h appened upon that show one day and thought WOW that's nightmare inducing LOL that is a FREAKKY show

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

My dad took me to see Jurassic Park in theaters when I was like, 4.

My parents never really censored stuff.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM
orange iguanas.

I started watching South Park when it first came out, so I was like, 6 years old. The Simpsons raised me. I don't even think I was in elementary school yet when my dad thought it would be cool for me to watch Tales From the Crypt with him.

We were censored from nudity, so if my mom and older sister watched Sex & The City they were like LALALALA GO AWAY. Which is fine and makes sense.

But otherwise, naw, no censoring. I had friends that couldn't watch MTV or even Nickelodeon half the time and I always thought.... really?!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013