Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default I sawa bald eagle today.

The eagle was going in lazy circles right over the woods behind my home. I have seen one up by smithville lake, but that is the only one I have ever seen in a natural setting. Neccy and I were out for her stroll. I am just so dang happy, it was beautiful. We have red tailed hawks, and a variety of owls, and some of the smaller hawks, but no eagles that I know of so this was quite a thrill.
On my bucket list is a trip to Squaw Creek where I heard that the eagles migrate with the snow geese. I always wanted to see the snow geese come in, and see them fall to the water where they earn their name. Maybe one day. I would love to take that trip with Hyia.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

They're so cool to watch. We have a nesting pair here at the our lake. It's easy to forget how huge they are.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Eagles are so amazing. We see so many raptors in our yard - the last two months alone I have seen a snowy owl, bald eagle, golden eagle, and various smaller hawks. I caught and released a hawk the other day, actually - he made his way into the chicken run going after some starlings and couldn't find his way out.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I love beyond measure living next to the woods like this and being able to hear the owls at night. I know some people think they are a bad sign, but I see them nothing short of wonderful. WHen I grew up my Mother's house sat almost the same way this one does. Way up on a hill, with thick woods behind dropping down to a creek below. IT's nice because in the summertime the attic fan (my Father put one in that seemed as big as an airplane propeller) that brought in the cool air from the creek below, we never had air conditioning and I don't remember ever feeling too hot to sleep even tho in Missouir it can stay hot at night. Because the windows were always open you could hear the owls. WHen my daughter was born she and I shared that room and when she was 2, we would listen to them together. TO see an eagle was quite a treat. I hope he/she sticks around for awhile, probably won't, probably migrating but I can hope.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Yes,my mom has a pair that live on her bluff. SO beautiful. I actually saw one flying above my house last summer...assume the drought and low river levels caused it.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Growing up it was rare to see a Bald Eagle, but they have since taken off here. I'd say for at least the last decade and a half, bald eagles are a regular sight around the state. In Winter along the Mississippi River is a gold mine, you can see them by the hundreds on any given day. It really is a great turnaround they've had here. I imagine it will become more common place in other areas as well in the coming years.

It is awesome to see the flying high again.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Love my pets

That must have been amazing; I'm glad you were there to see it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

WE had a flock of seagulls this morning. They have been around once in awhile for about a hear now, odd of Missouri, hadn't seen any for the last 40 years but do now.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Seagulls do sometimes come up the Mississippi....I have seen them a couple times...not often at all though
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

last winter when Hyia was in the hospital and I was super stressed I drove down the the Platte river. There were snowflakes falling the size of quarters over the river and the seagulls were flying through them, it looked almost like they weren't moving. Victor and I sat in the car watching them and he thought it was the most exciting day he had had in a long time. They were so close he was drooling. It was beautiful, the white flakes, the white gulls, against the grey sky and river. I would have liked to paint it but I doubt I could have done it justice.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!