Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Sport Model Pug

I tend to choke up on the leash so people get the hint.

However most place we walk on leash are at dog events.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I gather the dog(s) up at my side(s) and continue walking. No greeting, no touching, and if at all possible we'll give the person we are passing as wide of a berth as possible. Because even if my dog isn't dog reactive (although I'm so used to that I manage my dog like it is even if it isn't LOL), the other person's dog may have issues and there is nothing I hate more than some idiot letting his social, friendly dog bound towards my non-social, defensive dog on the premise that "his dog is friendly". I don't give a flying flip if your dog is friendly, mine is not, so back the **** off.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Assuming I have them both with me:
We pull way off the path if we're on like a greenbelt. I have Lily down and Scout sit and we do LAT. With how much Scout's dog reactivity has gotten due to people who INSIST their rude dogs say hello.... sigh, yeah.
On the sidewalk I will about face and run or cross the street if I can.
On campus or at the cemetary where I've got good visual of where to escape to... I will about face and run the opposite direction to prevent Scout reacting.

If I only have Lily with me I have zero worries to be honest. She's wonderful.

If I only have Scout, can pass other dogs in heel, but will be subtly pulling forward hoping to escape them as quickly as possible. Sometimes her body language changes dramatically with her trying to make herself as inconspicuous and low to the ground as possible. Its so sad and unfair to her that rude and inconsiderate dog owners have created this issue for her.

The saddest part of it all is that Scout LOVES properly introduced doggie friends. Rude people with rude dogs that insist on their dogs getting in her face have ruined outings in a lot of ways for us.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Most usually, no...we just keep walking.

But sometimes Jose` (not Chuli) will show a friendly interest in another dog and that dog will show the same. So, I might ask the owner if she/he wants them to sniff. Usually, I'd only ask when they look tentative but interested...like they're thinking along those lines. If they say, "sure," we'll give them a try. I like Jose` to get a chance to socialize with his own species on occasion...besides the usual two dogs he is with regularly. Chulita is most disinterested in visiting with other dogs. So, this is reserved for Jose`. And it's quite rare that this comes up anyhow. He's a reactive dog when he sees other dogs, but not aggressive....just yappy...I think because he'd like to check them out. And I think it helps him with this to be able to meet and greet other dogs once in a while. He's actually gotten a lot quieter and less reactive, as I've been working on it with more attention on me training.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Say "heel" and keep on walking... If the other dog is making a fuss, you might catch me saying "leave it" or "watch me, whichever I feel like at the time. If the sidewalks narrow and the other dog is boisterous I'll go to the curb lawn and ask for a sit-stay in the heel position until they pass. I'll do a leash greeting if they ask... And if I'm okay with the body language both the dogs and the other owner lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

I just cross the street or if it looks like the other owner has their dog under control, I'll go off to the side, but I never let Matrix greet other dogs on leash.
Well, unless it's my neighbour's dogs. He loves them to no end.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

If I'm just walking one dog I will often switch them to my right side and say "leave it" and walk past. Maybe smile and say hello to the person if they're looking like they want to say something to me, but I never stop for the dogs to say hello. Just keep going.

If I'm walking all of them, I move off of the sidewalk out of the way (cause we take up nearly the whole sidewalk together), put my dogs in a wait and tell them to leave it. Again, I don't let anyone greet anybody. Especially if all three are with me. The last thing I want is for everyone to get excited all at once or for there to be a problem.

If the dog coming toward us looks sketchy sometimes I cross the street too if there is somewhere safe to do that.

I am kind of anti social when walking my dogs on leash. Part of that is from having a leash reactive dog in the past, but it's also just easier to make sure my dogs are all paying attention and focus 100% on them than have to worry about what might happen if they met the approaching dog. On off leash walks I'm much friendlier, but I am sure people sometimes think I'm rude for not being overly friendly on leashed walks when they want to stop and chat and let the dogs play.

If it's just people approaching I still move my dogs out of the way in case they don't like dogs. And if I'm not in a hurry and they ask to meet my dogs, I allow them to meet the Dobermans. Not Dance though unless she seems calm and happy (some people she just decides to really love for some reason, others she thinks should be barked at). So yeah, meeting people is generally fine with me depending on the dog. I just don't stop to greet other dogs.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 11-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
If I'm just walking one dog I will often switch them to my right side and say "leave it" and walk past. Maybe smile and say hello to the person if they're looking like they want to say something to me, but I never stop for the dogs to say hello. Just keep going.
This pretty much describes what I do. Occasionally, for example if I know the person and the dog, I'm ok with letting the dogs greet one another. That's usually the only time I'm ok with that.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

I usually put my dog on the opposite side of me from the other dog and keep walking. She has great dog-dog social skills, but doesn't LOVE other dogs, so I figure I'm protecting her from getting mauled by an overly friendly or overly unfriendly dog.

Actually, now she will usually tell me if she wants to switch sides or not. I pretty much listen to her. She knows "cross" (change sides in front of me) and "switch" (change sides behind me) so it's easy to reposition her. Though sometimes I feel like I'm showing off when I tell her "switch" and she does so while the other dog is lunging and dragging it's owner down the street.

Personally I prefer not to socialize on walks as I'm usually either on a schedule or exercising.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Rosey's generally on my right hand side, and I'm walking on the right side of the sidewalk, so I'm always inbetween her and other people/dogs.

As a general rule, I don't let her interact with anybody, human or dog, unless that person asks or makes it obvious they want to say hi. Whether that be they put out a hand, say hello to Rosey, or they let their dog come up towards her, which I find people do to kind of let you know their dog could say hi.

Honestly though, Rosey couldn't care less about other dogs, so it's not a problem for her. I have had a few people ask if their dog could say hi to Rosey, to which I tell them sure, if Rosey wants to, as long as I'm not on a schedule. Otherwise, I leave it. Usually tell them something like "oh, she can be a snob and doesn't always want to say hi to people or other dogs, but you can certainly try!"

What I hate is when I'm obviously trying to get her to the side/away from your dog, and you try and force the issue.
Yeah, pretty much ditto this for us. Sienna can be quite snobby as well LOL.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking