Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Gah, this isn't helping... or it is... lol

Their faces are too die for and they sound like they may be a great fit for what I am looking for which is basically a fantastic little pet with low DA and high cuddle-ability and ease of travel who can but doesn't have to dapple in sports to offset the fast and the furious here.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

The people I know who have them really love them. We see a lot of them in agility. I know a good breeder, if you decide you want one (she'd know where to look, even if she doesn't have a breeding herself, which I'm not sure about)
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

I know a Belgian person who has them. It's a small breed that I'd definitely consider. Super cute, smart, trainable and from everything I've heard not as prone to serious dog to dog issues as many other terriers. And sturdy enough to live with wild big dogs! Had a pet one in class awhile back and OMG was she cute!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

They are sooo cute! Sounds like you need one! Or a whippet!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
They are sooo cute! Sounds like you need one! Or a whippet!
LOL I was on the list for a whippet before the move. I still love them but I'm not positive they're what I am seeking right now, they fit in closely but I think something a bit smaller, sturdier, and scruffier may be better suited.

Maybe down the road but they're on the back burner for now.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM
& the Muttly Crew

My experience with BTs pretty much fits everything that's been said here. There's a breeder near me who does agility and conformation and her dogs (both ones she owns and ones she places locally) seem to be nice, stable, drivey little things. And so freaking cute. I see a Border and I just d'awwwww...can't help it...so much cuteness...

Even James Herriot loved their scruffy little selves

Quote:
So I decided to fulfill a longtime ambition, to own a Border terrier. I had loved this breed, with its whiskery face, ever since I had come to work in Yorkshire. but there had never been a litter around when we had wanted a new dog.

This time, however, I was very fortunate to find the last of a litter not far away in Bedale, and so Bodie joined the Herriot household. I don't think any of my other dogs would be too upset if I said that no dog has ever given me so much joy as Bodie--who is lying beside me now as I write. From the moment that I reached down and lifted up the puppy, and he curled his little body round, apparently trying to touch his tail with his nose, I was lost to him.

He has been a wonderful companion to me, especially since I retired and have had more time for walking. He is getting on now, and his coat is almost more white than brown; this has its advantages because I can see him when he is running through the autumn bracken when it is on the turn. When he was younger, he was almost the same color as the russety-red bracken and sometimes the only means I had of knowing where he had got to was by the high-pitched yelps emanating from the thick undergrowth, which meant that he was after another rabbit, which he very rarely caught. I know the chase gave him immense pleasure, however, because he would return to me, his tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth and a look on his face as if to say, "Well, there's always another day!"

He is a bit too old now to chase rabbits for real but he still whiffles in his sleep so I am sure he is chasing them in his dreams.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 11-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

You should so get a BT! I'm hoping that within a year, I'll be able. It would be neat to have two BT's on chaz. I am pretty sure we don't have any?

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
You should so get a BT! I'm hoping that within a year, I'll be able. It would be neat to have two BT's on chaz. I am pretty sure we don't have any?
And that is a tragedy.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Sorry, I use to have a couple of pic from a few years ago out hunting but they were lost in a computer crash along with some nice pics of one of my girls working beside them. I can ask if he will share a pic, don't know if he will or not.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Lab Love

I researched Border Terriers as well. I'm pretty much decided that if I get a small dog, it will be a BT. I've met four throughout my dog jobs (so I got to know them well), and three at dog parks. I've loved every one I've met. They always seem to be quite dog social, and even if there is reactivity; it's not the same as it is for other terriers. They're biddable, fun to train, smart, active (but not hyper)... there's little not to love really. Plus they're utterly adorable.

Maybe after my next lab, but maybe my next dog. I strongly urge you (and JacksonsMom) to get one asap.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever